• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pyramid Structure For Elevated Tee Pads

MikePinchico

Double Eagle Member
I have a new job doing course maintenance at my local DG/ball golf course. I'm looking to make a shorter 180' hole more difficult by making an elevated basket in a pyramid structure. We have an abundance of pine logs to be used. I want three levels all in a square shape. I was thinking the first step 10' each side, 2nd would be 7' sides, and the third would be 4' sides. Each step would increase height by 2'. Do you have experience make such a structure? And tips? Example with a picture?

You probably already know Slymar. Doesn't Morley have a pyramid too?

01f59768.jpg

I for some reason had a bigger set up in mind. When I look at these examples it seems more reasonable going smaller. COS in Weed has a massive one that is about 15-20 tall. Unfortunately there is no pictures on the site.

^While the Sylmar pyramid looks small in pictures, it's existence is definitely pronounced when playing the hole.

I would definitely check with P&R about any regulations you might be required to meet for construction. Many cities and counties have rules about how wide/tall steps can be. There might be some structural support ordinances as well.

If you want the terraces of the pyramid to be potential landing areas, you end up with a pretty big project (and lots of dirt). Otherwise, it's just an elevated basket with cool-looking steps to retrieve your disc.

One aspect, positive or negative, is that if the timbers are perpendicular to the line of play from the tee, then discs hitting the pyramid will tend to stop right there. If you turn it 45 degrees, disc hitting them will tend to carom right or left and end up further away. Either might be the effect you want, depending on the situation, but it's something to keep in mind.

Morley's two pyramids are pretty similar to the one at Sylmar I believe. I thought there were pictures of the ones on holes 5 and 15 here, but I can't find them now.

For ADA purposes, make sure you can drive a golf cart up to the basket. Leave a ramp with an adequate width.

For ADA purposes, make sure you can drive a golf cart up to the basket. Leave a ramp with an adequate width.

Seriously.. do you know how many baskets there are out there that in no way possible can you drive a golf cart up to?

We have an abundance of pine logs to be used.

I guess the climate is a little dryer in Chico than in other parts, but I would concerned about the longevity of untreated pine. It rots very quickly when in contact with the ground and it will probably not hold up well to people climbing on it.

I am not an expert on west coast stuff, so maybe it is something like the lodge pole pines that grow very slowly and are pretty durable. Just something to think about if you haven't already.

Latest posts