• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Quasar Replacement

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
I've been using Quasars as my main warp-speed driver for the past year or so, but they start flattening out and turning over too early in their life for me. I'm probably going to switch back to Forces for the time being, but a Quasar or two are going to have to stay in the bag for max D shots and I'm a mold minimalist so I'd like to find one 13 speeder that fits the bill.

I'm not looking for something stupid like a Nuke OS that starts hyzering as soon as I let it go. Just a little more stability than a Quasar.

Or perhaps a different run of Quasar? I'm thinking mine are all from the same run, but it seems like a really good run. Really nice dome; not pop top or flat at all.

The other option I see is to carry a Nuke OS or something similar when I can't have my drive flipping on me. That's just sacrificing quite a bit of distance, it seems. I suppose I don't have any beat up OSs; do they start gaining glide before they start turning over?

Thanks for the help!

Defender. Lucid for beef, and cycle biofuzions for everything else. Just began throwing this mold a few weeks ago and loving it so far

I'd say Boss as well since I believe the Quasar is just a slight tweak to the Boss mold. You kind of need to buy Bosses in person though because they vary pretty wildly from flippy to quite overstable and flat very flat to very domey. There have been a LOT of runs over the years so the only way you're going to find a specific run is if it's something like the tour series Wiggins swirly Bosses they did a couple years ago or first runs. I think there have been more overstable and less overstable Bosses from a lot of runs over the years though so you shouldn't have too much problem if you can examine them in person. Also, bubbles-in-the-flight-plate blizzard Bosses absolutely bomb if you can find one that's not outrageously expensive.

I've only thrown 1 Quasar, but it was beefier than almost every Boss I've thrown. I agree the mold is similar though.

You might try a Torrent. Very fast and stable. Ti Nukes could fit the bill too. They're more stable than regular Nukes.

Threw Quasars for years. Currently I'm running Nitros, Octanes and a Catalalyst instead of a Quasar cycle.

The Nitro is exactly what you're describing. It's like a good fresh Quasar, one that will go straight 400' before starting to fade when thrown flat, but will fight turning over and has no issues in a moderate headwind. It's a little more aggressive with its fade, so you've got to give it some juice to make it go. Works nicely with flex shots as well, with its combination of aggressive speed, good glide and a big fade. Can work some nice skip lines thrown low.

It's a completely different animal than discs like the Nuke OS, Stiletto, Spirit etc. It won't turn in a headwind and it has a beefy fade, but it does glide.

They'll take longer to beat in than Quasars, so I don't know about covering all your bases with a Nitro cycle. I'm currently running a 175 and 165, paired with an Octane and Catalyst for more neutral and understable distance lines. I like mold minimalism too, but with a lot of MVP molds they're designed with the same core and similar wings, so going from a Nitro to an Octane feels basically the same except the PLH is a bit lower. It's not like the difference in feel between a Boss and Katana, for example.

Last edited:
Yeah, the way I describe Quasars to people is "They run Bosses. Millennium picks first." My buddy throw Bosses some, so I'm somewhat familiar with them. I agree with TW that the Quasars are generally more stable, but I'm also not opposed to having to pick through a disc if it's worth it; I'm also sure that there's a Boss out there for me. I'm just not well-versed enough with Bosses to think I'll get the right one.

I have a FR Torrent. Mine turned a decent amount out of the box. The Nukes I have that are stable enough are some of my least favorite discs. One feels heavy, for some reason, and the Ti just doesn't seem to have the Nuke glide.

I'm liking what people are saying about the Nitro and Defender. I'll definitely have to check those two out. If there were a way I could get one that's proven good/proper, that would be ideal. Any help there would be appreciated.

While reading up on those two, I ran across D1 and PD2; anyone have some insight on those two? I've thrown D1s, but only a few throws on a new one. It was the stability I'm looking for ... I think I'll have to get one of those also.

Don't hear much about the Nitro. I like mine a lot for controlled distance shots. Always know its gonna fade hard at the end and park itself predictably.

Here's me using it on a ~500' upshot with tons of OB to the right and a fairly narrow landing zone. #5 at Angry Beaver. Knew if I tossed it hard with some anny it'd finish pretty much dead straight with no chance of going into the OB.

I wish there were more holes where I could throw the Nitro in Charlotte...most are too short. Its a blast to toss though...goes so far!

How fresh was that Nitro?

I really like the Defenders I've tried as well, but they remind me of my Z Force and you throw Forces. At leas the Bio anyways...a solid HSS that has a hint of pop up or wiggle so that they carry, but they will fade eventually in a solid way. Lucid is more OS in my small experience. Because of the plastic variations in stability you may like them, but I think you need a lot of power to use them for full on distance shots. But if you're considering PD2's and Nuke OS then I guess you know what you're getting into.

I've only tried one Nuke OS and it's dumb, I can throw a Firebird farther and more accurately, and it doesn't feel like it's taking my hand with it.

How fresh was that Nitro?

It had been used for about 10 rounds prior. Max weight.

RE the D1 and PD2. D1 is similar stability to the Nitro from what I remember, but its a bit slower. Speed 12 vs speed 13 roughly. PD2 I think was the same speed as the D1, but the fade seemed more of a spike to the ground type of finish rather than a more forward moving fade. Of the two I preferred the D1 for general use.

Scorpiuses are awesome, but the Scorpius is to the Destroyer as the Quasar is to the Boss. Star Destroyers have about 2.3 cm rims (despite what the original PDGA approval says) as does the Scorpius. The D1 is about the same (I did throw D1's for a while and liked them a lot). You can call that "speed 12" or "speed 13" or whatever, but Bosses and Quasars are noticeably wider-rimmed in the hand with their 2.5 cm rims.

If you're looking for more stable than a Star Boss, I had a Color Glow Boss I got at tournament that was straight up beefy (for my ~390 foot arm). I'd sell it to you, but I already sold it to a buddy. I think champion Bosses are generally more stable than Star. I've had a couple Pros that started out quite beefy too although they lost that quickly enough.

I really like the Defenders I've tried as well, but they remind me of my Z Force and you throw Forces. At leas the Bio anyways...a solid HSS that has a hint of pop up or wiggle so that they carry, but they will fade eventually in a solid way. Lucid is more OS in my small experience. Because of the plastic variations in stability you may like them, but I think you need a lot of power to use them for full on distance shots. But if you're considering PD2's and Nuke OS then I guess you know what you're getting into.

I've only tried one Nuke OS and it's dumb, I can throw a Firebird farther and more accurately, and it doesn't feel like it's taking my hand with it.

Yeah, Nuke OS isn't up for consideration for a main cycling driver. I couldn't imagine the woe at losing my flippy Nuke OS. It would be a second mold, and rarely used. So I'm not really liking that option.

I was hoping the PD2s might be a little more mellow than a Nuke OS, but it sounds like that's not going to be the case?

never thrown the nukeOS, but i have had 2 PD2s. one was a pro that started real nice with a bit of glide and a sharp dump at the end. it has now broken in to not so useful(unpredictable) with the turn it developed. the other a domey star that doesn't glide and dumps hard at the end, so if your into the cycling thing, a pPD2 might be a good choice, but out of the box straight distance OS driver i would second the nitro.

Last edited:
I'd have to call the Nuke OS the most overstable thing I've ever thrown. The Quasar had some beef, but the Nuke OS was in a different class of overstable. I'd be lucky to get 270' on a full rip with it.

PD2 is not the same category as NukeOS...I threw a NukeOS once on a 265' hole, like 80' right. Ended up parked after a bunch of skips. This was full power. I feel like I might be able to throw it farther than a Justice, but that's likely the only disc I've thrown that is shorter than the NukeOS.

I've thrown beat in C-line PD2's that have turned and drifted in heavy wind, so less stable than my OS Destroyer slot. So I think they'd cycle ok for long throwers, I just don't know how long it took the guy to beat it to that state.

never thrown the nukeOS, but i have had 2 PD2s. one was a pro that started real nice with a bit of glide and a sharp dump at the end. it has now broken in to not so useful(unpredictable) with the turn it developed. the other a domey star that doesn't glide and dumps hard at the end, so if your into the cycling thing, a pPD2 might be a good choice, but out of the box straight distance OS driver i would second the nitro.

Mmmm.

I use pd2. There are couple types to be aware of.

Ppd2- HUGE dome, understable, big distance.
Ppd2 - little less dome, like a seasoned star destroyer
Ppd2 - some dome, like a beefy star destroyer

Cpd
Spd

Both S and c are overstable. Just ranges from nicely overstable like a fresh star destroyer, to mega beefcake.

Ppd2 can easily cover all distance needs. But they're inconsistently made. Just like destroyers in a sense. I threw a beautiful hyzer flip about 415' the other day. All this mumbo jumbo about forward fade is gonna get you Maybe at extra 20' tops. Find the disc you like and throw it but the pd2 is a great cycler ONLY if you can see them in person, in pro plastic. Star or champ is gonna take a looooooooong time.

I don't find the turn or fade on any disc to be unpredictable. Just have to learn it. Pd2 is no exception.

Last edited:

Latest posts