• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question for those with State Championships

Discslinger12

Bogey Member
For those who are involve in organizing/running their respective state championships, a few questions...

1) Do you limit the field and/or divisional winners to being state residents only?

2) if so, how do you handle clubs on the border of the state with active members who live out of state (and participate in the state's tournaments/etc.)

Is this an issue for anyone? Just curious...

Discraft always hosts Michigan Championships and I know they used to allow any players to compete and limited to around 500 people. I haven't looked into it in a few years, so I'm not sure on the current status. But I have plenty of the CFR discs!

Our "state championship" is just another stop on our points tour. Anyone can sign up and play. Its more known for its party aspect than for the actual tournament.

Discraft always hosts Michigan Championships and I know they used to allow any players to compete and limited to around 500 people. I haven't looked into it in a few years, so I'm not sure on the current status. But I have plenty of the CFR discs!

576 players and it is restricted to berths. As an out of state player, you can win a berth and play. Everyone knows you ain't coming to Michigan, as an out of state player, and winning. :p

Texas State Championships, which is an A-Tier, is open to anyone, and last year, it attracted McBeth and Lizotte

How many state championship tournaments are really regarded as a State Championship?

By which I mean, more prestigious than any other event on the calendar. And inn addition to the size of the event itself---winning Texas States would be a big deal because it's an A-tier. Do people think of the winner as the Texas Champion for the next year, until it's contended again?

I'm curious because my little state used to have two, sometimes three, events that called themselves state championships. But they were minor events, less well-attended than many other tournaments, and though they gave out trophies that said "champion", I never heard anyone referenced as such after winning. (We had a points series that was taken much more seriously).

The idea of a serious, prestigious State Championship is appealing. Does it work out elsewhere?

In North and South Dakota all are invited...hardly a chance at filling all the spots yet...ND would maybe be the first if any to fill. The tournament layouts are comparable to Winthrop Gold...with the added ND winds. We had Peter Mcbride and a few other pro's make it this past year and they said they'd be back for sure if the same courses/layout was played.

Indiana state and Illinois state both allow out of state players. Illinois state IMO brings most people from all over illinois than any other illinois tourney....outside of ledgestone.

Thanks for the replies, we're working in NY to evolve our state championships - as David pointed out, most are 'just another tournament'. Ours has been as well.

We piloted a ranking system based on PDGA points earned in NY events by NY residents. Used to to seed the top X players in each division for invitations provided an exclusive window to register, and comp'd the entries for top seeds.

When you draw such a line, folks end up on both sides. We're learning, and exploring ways to make the system better.

The Michigan berth concept for clubs is interesting. Does each club decide who gets the berths? If so, do they do so consistently?

Thanks again...

Just musing here, but....would it be feasible to run a state championship event where the competition is open to anyone from anywhere, but the state champion is the best finish for a state residence.

So you might have a state resident finish 4th in open, losing to 3 out-of-staters, but be given the trophy and honor as the state champ. He would be simultaneously competing against everyone for prizes, and against state players for the trophy.

When we had a points series, this is really what it came down to at the last event of the year. Players were dually competing, sometimes even more concerned how they finished against their state competitors than the overall tournament. (State champions won a basket).

For what its worth, according to the PDGA Tour Standard, a state championship that restricts entrants based on residency would be sanctioned as an X-tier event. As usual though, the language is pretty weak, and there's probably a loophole.

"The X designation may also be used for Singles events where eligibility is limited based on citizenship and/or residence (example: a state decides to have their State
Championships open to only players from that state.)"

Yes, we started with the thought that the 'highest finishing NYS resident' (we've done that in the past) gets the championship title and expanded it to... 'highest finishing NYS resident or active club member of an NYS club' to include those who actively play and support the event but live across the border in another state....

Do these state tournaments take place at different locations around the state or stay in the same place each year? Who organizes these events, same group of people or does it rotate from club to club? How is the money raised for a state event?

I can speak for NY, for the last 10 years our State Championships moved around the state - hosted by (sometimes) interested or (sometimes) cajoled clubs. Each active club in the state provided support based on their size, the support at the time was primarily used to pay the entry fee and some travel expenses for the USDGC spot awarded via the event. It was a moderately successful.

We now have a great new Houck-designed course on a 6,000 acre YMCA camp/property in the Catskills that can readily host this event in a special way.

While our effort is the collective voice of all the supporting clubs in the state, the intention is to evolve our current model to an event that is in the same spot every year.

I'm sure someone can elaborate further on Michigan's berth situation. But from what I understand clubs get a certain amount of berths to give away. The club decides what events to give them away at and how many to give away. Mostly these are given away at sanctioned tournments. The number of berths given to each division is determined by the amount of people signed up for it. Bigger division more berths smaller division maybe only first gets it. Hope this helps.

The Michigan berth concept for clubs is interesting. Does each club decide who gets the berths? If so, do they do so consistently?

Hope I can elaborate on this a bit and help. Michigan clubs can join the MDGO (Mich DG Org) which is sort of the governing body for Michigan Clubs and Events. They do their best not to overlap events in the same area using a calendar to schedule tournaments. Each Club receives a set # of berths which vary by how big the Club is, how long they have been around, how well run their events are, etc... Some may get a smaller amount and others a larger amount of berths.

If your Club is lucky enough to host a State Featured event you may get 18 berths for that one tournament alone. I believe it is a mandatory 2 day event with 9 available each day based on largest divisions, usually but up to TD.

A lot of clubs get 6 berths and may give away 3 during Summer league and 3 during Winter league for example. Maybe the #1 tag holder, and the next two highest in point totals. Or they may give them away at a tournament they host as well. Not sure on any rigid rules regarding berths but from what I can tell it is fairly consistent. Tournaments and Leagues are the best bet to snag a berth.

Should be noted the MDGO also does a Last Chance Qualifier round the day before States at Ludington. Anyone who does not have a berth can sign up and play Last Chance and try one more time to snag one. If all else fails you can usually find an open spot in the Pro/Open division and I have seen some AM2 and AM3 players give it a go just to play States.

I'm sure someone can elaborate further on Michigan's berth situation. But from what I understand clubs get a certain amount of berths to give away. The club decides what events to give them away at and how many to give away. Mostly these are given away at sanctioned tournments. The number of berths given to each division is determined by the amount of people signed up for it. Bigger division more berths smaller division maybe only first gets it. Hope this helps.

I can add a little. The Michigan State Championships are hosted by the Michigan Disc Golf Organization (MDGO). The tournament is held in the Ludington area each year. As most of you here know, a disc golf mecca rivaled by few areas. Clubs petition the MDGO each season for berths. They are indeed given away at tournaments, as stated by Ballinger above, usually by divisions and by the number of participants in those divisions. I believe the clubs have the authority to give berths away for league play as well. (I am not sure this is true, though)
This is a premier event in the state, held on some of the best and nicest courses in the country. It is flawlessly run by the MDGO crew, and at nearly 600 players is a great end of the year social, as well. Discraft ensures players are well taken care of. The tournaments giving away berths become very popular events, often quickly selling out. This State Championship rivals my experience as Bowling Green and last years World, as far as organization, quality of play, courses and fun.

I see Future Primitive beat me to this.

The tournament is held in the Ludington area each year. As most of you here know, a disc golf mecca rivaled by few areas.

For anyone who doesn't know our state's/city's names, this includes the incredible Flip City. Once ranked #1 on DGCR, still at #2. It is truly one of the best spots to ever visit. (unless you can hit up LA and play a few holes overlooking the Los Angeles skyline - BUCKET LIST as my company is HQ'd in LA and I get to visit every couple years)

Just musing here, but....would it be feasible to run a state championship event where the competition is open to anyone from anywhere, but the state champion is the best finish for a state residence.

So you might have a state resident finish 4th in open, losing to 3 out-of-staters, but be given the trophy and honor as the state champ. He would be simultaneously competing against everyone for prizes, and against state players for the trophy.

When we had a points series, this is really what it came down to at the last event of the year. Players were dually competing, sometimes even more concerned how they finished against their state competitors than the overall tournament. (State champions won a basket).

We did this when we hosted NY Champs a few years ago. Top NY resident got the invite to USDGC.