• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Question of physics

Lewis

* Ace Member *
Why is it that discs become less stable as they're broken (or beaten) in? I figure it must have something to do with drag, but I wonder if anybody can offer a nice explanation of the phenomenon.

It's so hard to find a good explanation on this.

Here's my thoughts on the matter. There's 2 things that cause a disc to change bank: gyroscopic procession and asymetric lift.

A sharp edged, well tuned disc will have very little asymetric lift, and what you are left with is the gyroscopic procession (as the disc rotation slows, it will "fade"), this is considered overstable.

A blunt edged, or out of tune disc will have much more asymetric lift (the side moving with the direction of flight will have a higher speed relative to the air, and will create more lift, creating "turn"). Where the asymetric lift is more dominant than the gyroscopic forces, we consider the disc understable.

A couple things I have noticed about worn in discs. The leading edges are either bent down or blunt, and the lifting surface has often become concave or uneven. Thus, they become understable.

Here's an interesting video on "tuning" a disc:
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/geoloseth/?action=view&current=DiscTuning.flv

Last edited:

Latest posts