• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

question on how it feels to not muscle a drive

ArmandDillo

OK, so I'm stuck at 300' for my drives, and trying to improve my form.

After some field work I think I'm heading in the right direction. I've been trying not to rotate my body too soon, and get more out of the final 6" of my rip. My standstill drives are longer and prettier using the 'new rhythm' and feel like they take less effort. (still can't translate that into more distance w/the x-step but one step at a time)

Before (muscling it), I would try to pull on the disc in a straight line, accommodating my body rotation to suit the straight line, as if the disc was hanging from a wire and I was trying put force on the disc without bending the wire). Now, hopefully because I'm discovering the elbow lock and brushing up against the 'power zone' Beato talks about in the 'from the hit backwards' video, it feels like the force I'm putting on the disc is slightly changing direction when it passes in front of my spine. It also feels like the last 6" of my throw are happening faster than before, which makes it harder to keep it flat, but also seems to requre less effort.

The flight of the disc looks a little more like what I've read a snap-powered throw looks like (not really changing angle with relation to the ground and changing direction suddenly at the end).

Assuming this makes sense to anyone else, does it sound like I'm doing it right?

Thanks.

That's funny, just got back from the field again and I tried the hammer pound a couple times while I was throwing and I got it. I had tried before but it would just slip out of my hand.

I think I'm getting it.

I noticed that now I can throw approach (60-100') shots that have enough spin to go fairly straight. And I don't have to rotate my shoulders nearly as much when throwing those shorter shots.

Good transition between when I am making the last step(try to be vertical to the ground) and when I begin pulling through on my shoulder and elbow seem to help greatly when trying to produce more power in the shot.

The next important factors are grip, release point, position of the nose of the disc, and appropriate disc elevation from start to finish in your shot.

Not sure if this helps but gl

That's funny, just got back from the field again and I tried the hammer pound a couple times while I was throwing and I got it. I had tried before but it would just slip out of my hand.

I think I'm getting it.
It makes a world of difference. You'll wonder what the heck you were trying to do beforehand and why you were making it so hard on yourself.

Latest posts