• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on your putting ability...

Disc Golf Greg

Par Member
I was wondering how far back you guys can putt with complete confidence that you can make it?

I've been practicing with my basket a lot more lately and have a nice long narrow hallway in my basement that I can putt to about 30 feet.. but I've set up makers which indicate 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 feet to the basket and can sink 100% at 20 feet back, but at 25 feet I start to mess up usually making 50 percent of the putts or more.

Anyway I guess I'm just trying to compare my putting ability to you guys.. :cool:

I've been playing for years now and man I swear putting is the hardest part of the game. I feel like my driving and midrange shots have improved so much but I don't feel I can say the same about my putting.

I wish i could hit 100% at twenty. I suck at putting! My longest putt made over the last 2 days and 63 holes is 15'. It was windy as hell saturday, but today the wind wasn't bad, just sucked.

I can't drive, but I have no problem putting.

One thing I have learned is putting is more mental than anything else. The right disc helps, but its all about how you approach the putt. If you just walk up and throw, you are usually going to miss, even a short putt. I know I have done it.

First of all, make sure you have a putter that you really like, feels good in your hand, flies like you like, and that you are really comfortable with. Don't pick a putter, just because it looks cool. Also you might want to try different weights and plastics. I would suggest asking others to try out their putters if you don't own many. See what you like and don't like. We all have our preferences.

I also had to learn that you are not going to make every putt. Different things affect the disc. The wind, distance, you mental state. These things all come into play. One thing I have learned is take you time putting. Don't rush it. Don't let others in your group rush you either. I have played with people that after they putt, they start walking off to the next hole, so some people that think they are playing "race around the course" and they think they have to play the course as fast as possiable. I don't get those people either.

The way that I practice is I set out cones every 15 feet, and make 5 putts from each point. If I miss one, I have to go back to the previous cone. It will really help you work on your putts. The more you practice, the better you will get. I think that is the problem that I have. I practice my putts twice as much as I practice my drives. My putting is now good, and my driving sucks. Its time to work on the drives now.

I didn't mean to get on a soap box, but I hope I helped a little bit.

I definitely need to spend time working on my putting. My drives have improved a lot recently and now putting is really hurting my game. I think your method of practicing would probably help me out a lot - I'm going to start ASAP.

My putter of choice is an Aviar, but I've only thrown them in DX plastic. Does anyone recommend trying one in another plastic? If so, why?

I definitely need to spend time working on my putting. My drives have improved a lot recently and now putting is really hurting my game. I think your method of practicing would probably help me out a lot - I'm going to start ASAP.

My putter of choice is an Aviar, but I've only thrown them in DX plastic. Does anyone recommend trying one in another plastic? If so, why?

If it works for you, I say go for it. I do have a Star Aviar that grabs the chains really well. I would use it, but I prefer my Soft Magnet, because I feel I have more control with it. When I used the Aviar, it was more , point, throw, and pray.

Hm. Yea I often use the "point, throw, pray" method. Maybe I should try the Soft Magnet? That's a Discfaft right?

I have been playing for awhile now and recently changed my form on how I putt. The only thing I noticed about putting is this...

CONFIDENCE.

You must have it to putt well. Step up and have a mind set you will make it. It is the only way to putt. Not a fancy putter... (I use the classic aviar)
Just straight and simple confidence. Get some by starting out small and moving back gradually. One you master 10' move on to 15' and he so on.

This has really helped me.

Hm. Yea I often use the "point, throw, pray" method. Maybe I should try the Soft Magnet? That's a Discfaft right?

Yep. Their Great!

Picture011.jpg

I would suggest a 168-172. I have given one to my brother and my friend , and their putting has gotten much better. My friend took the 168 I have him to the course and he did much better. He hit metal most of the time, but for him is an improvement, because he used to miss the basket all together 70% of the time. He would get better if he would practice, but he only plays about twice a month. For some reason, my friend and my brother will not play unless I play.

My putting is good when I am playing well and not so good when I am playing bad. Recently I was playing really well and then got sick for a few days and came back and was playing horrible. It hasn't helped that it has been windy around here recently. I am currently using a Champion Aviar and like it but I am not in love with it. I will say that I got really upset the other day and started stomping on my Champ Aviar and it took it like a man. I even stomped on it once when it was on end and it folded nicely and then came back to its normal shape. I putted a lot better after that too. Hmm.

My putting is good when I am playing well and not so good when I am playing bad. Recently I was playing really well and then got sick for a few days and came back and was playing horrible. It hasn't helped that it has been windy around here recently. I am currently using a Champion Aviar and like it but I am not in love with it. I will say that I got really upset the other day and started stomping on my Champ Aviar and it took it like a man. I even stomped on it once when it was on end and it folded nicely and then came back to its normal shape. I putted a lot better after that too. Hmm.

:eek:

You might want to try switching to decaffeinated coffee.

My putting is usually the best part of my game (depending on the day of course). If I am on, I can throw probably about 90% from the 20-30ft range. I like focusing on one chain link, doing a small arm motion and a lot of snap to do a direct putt. This putt is great for baskets with at least two tiers of chains. Unfortunately, there is a course near me that only has one link of chains and my direct putt bounces right off the center beam way too much :mad:

I think the suggestion to: practice what you can make -- a lot -- is a good one. If you are only comfortable putting at 10', then make 50 putts at 10'. Then move back to 12'. And make 50 more. I've never understood the fixation on 5' increments.

It helps your confidence to make 90+ percent of putts from a given distance. Then, when the next distance back isn't much further (2-3'), you should still be making 90+ percent, right? When you go to play a round or a tournament, practice at a distance you can make. Don't go back to 60' and start winging putts at the basket.

Also, even when putting at home, try to loosen your arm up -- stretches or practice drives -- since that's how you'll be putting on the course. I know I putt more fluidly after some warm up than I do when I practice putting, starting cold.

Thanks t i m for that... I'll keep that in mind I've never practiced like that, but next time I will try your 90% method. Usually I just go in my backyard and do whatever with no set procedure.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input! Keep em' coming...

Glow plastic. I picked one up at my last tourney, and I've been putting better. It could be mental ;), or it could be that I was using a warped Magnet :eek:, but I can putt better with my Glow than with my DX.

i use a jk pro aviar and im digging this disc. i wish there was some cure-all disc that would make me better. i did figure out the best way to improve your putting is just driving and approaching better ;):rolleyes:

i am pretty bad at putting too, and with limited time to play, i'd rather play when i have time as opposed to practicing putts. i recently found a thread about a putting practice game called perfect putt 360. playing PP360 has made a big difference with my putting. for me, it is practicing without really feeling like practice. a complete round of PP360 is 100 putts and can be completed in 15-20 minutes. playing PP360 a couple times a week has really improved my putting.

here is a link to the scorecard/rules:
http://www.flyingdiscmagazine.com/perputt.pdf

just as an example of how this has helped me, my very first game (round 1&2 combined, 100 putts) scored only 105. after playing pp360 several times (several hundred putts later), my last score was 172. i have went from 45% at 20ft to 75%

i have also found a style of putter and stuck with it which helps to get the feel for the putter. i use a kcpro aviar at 175g. hope this helps!

Latest posts