• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] R-Pro Boss... is it me or the disc?

lilbuzjr

Par Member
I recently bought a 145g r pro boss.
Just the other day I went out to a baseball field to practice driving. I started off with all my discs (2 times) just to get warmed up. When I would go to pick up my discs i would pay attention to which ones go how far. I am getting my boss the farthest out of my discs but 2 discs got consistently close (170 ft) (stingray and buzz both over 160g) so I'm wondering if this is me or the disc. I'm thinking i might have picked out too light of a disc. May this be my problem? or do i just not have enough power to get it to go farther?:confused:

The boss is really designed for people who are throwing over 400', and the r-pro boss is especially unpredictable and difficult to control especially after any hard landings. My recommendation would be to stick with slower discs that you'll have better control over. The stingray and buzz are great discs at that distance, a small step up in speed would be a leopard, and I would say stick with the 160ish weights.

HALT, THIS IS THE DISC POLICE. PUT DOWN THE BOSS AND SLOWLY STEP AWAY. SLOWLY. SLOWLY NOW. ALRIGHT, GOOD. NOW PICK UP YOUR BUZZ AND STINGRAY. ON YOUR WAY NOW. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

i do throw over 400' and i second what mashnut says. it can fly great but is hard to throw... i have only chucked it for about 5-6 times so i need to field practice a lot more but i wouldnt recommend it for you yet

pick up a teebird if you insist on using a driver, and practice with your midrange until you can get it over 200-230 ft or so, then try out the teebird, btw are you driving backhand or forehand?

I forgot to mention I throw a cyclone between 300 and 350.
So..we'll say 325? That's a respectable distance, but still not quite enough for a Boss. If you're throwing [your main] driver that far, you should be getting the Buzzz out well past 170', nearing 300'. In fact, your putter should be going further than 170'. I'd set the Boss aside and work on getting more distance with your mids and putters.

The boss is a scary disc, the edge on that is so sharp. But to the matter at hand, if you are throwing a cyclone 325' and a Boss 170' I think its probably to much for you right now. Tell me when you throw it does it fade to the left like crazy?

Oh, and not to be rude, just posting a link. But check out the speed difference! You didnt post any other drivers, just thought you should be aware of how drastic of a difference there are in those :)

HALT, THIS IS THE DISC POLICE. PUT DOWN THE BOSS AND SLOWLY STEP AWAY. SLOWLY. SLOWLY NOW. ALRIGHT, GOOD. NOW PICK UP YOUR BUZZ AND STINGRAY. ON YOUR WAY NOW. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Notice the disc police don't care if you have a buzz. :D

True. I throw around 300ft to 350ft and would not think about picking up a Boss or Groove yet. I am happy with my Buzz, XL and Teebird and just picked up a Surge.

I'm sorry, major typo... the buzz and sting are going 270 not 170. They almost make it to the fence of the field i am on... the boss makes it to the fence 280. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry, major typo... the buzz and sting are going 270 not 170. They almost make it to the fence of the field i am on... the boss makes it to the fence 280. I'm sorry.
That makes a lot more sense.

It sounds like a nose angle/speed problem to me. Faster discs are also more nose angle sensitive. You're getting enough nose down and speed on your mids and Cyclones, but not enough for the Boss. You should be able to work out the nose angle issues to get the Boss out as far as the Cyclones, but I wouldn't expect it to go much further, depending on whether or not you're closer to the 300' or 350' range with the Cyclones.

To help fix nose angle problems make sure your wrist orientation is correct, that your weight is forward at the hit and that you're pulling close to your chest.

Latest posts