• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rainy day golf

Yeah man, I've played in storms and all. Bring a towel, understand that you're gonna shoot a higher score, and have some friggin' fun!

So today at the Old Settler's Open in Olathe, KS we really found out what rain was. Hurricane Isaac was rolling through town (yes, Hurricane Isaac was in Kansas) and it was by far the most difficult round of golf I have ever played. Discs were slipping out left and right, snap was nonexistent, and the greens were fast as snot (not to mention the sky-high scores). So I figured rather than make a new thread, I would ask it in this thread...

What are the worst conditions you have ever played in, and how did you cope with them? What was your strategy after any chance of drying your hand or discs was gone? Also, today's tournament got me wondering if the PDGA would ever cancel or postpone a tournament because of inclement weather?

I (as well as a few other members on this forum) played DD Cedar Hill Chill this year in early February. Second round was mid 40's, rained about 2", didn't stop raining the entire round. This was my second sanctioned tournament, so of course I was dressed in jeans, a hoodie, and a fleece jacket. I had no rain gear, no umbrella, no waterproof shoes, nothing.I stuck it out because I HATE quitting anything. It was the only round of disc golf I've ever played that i thought "I just want this round to be over." I shot a 62 first round before it started raining(1 stroke off the lead in ma3) and shot an 80 the second round. I had to play A LOT of santioned rounds to get that 763 off my ratings.Now if there's even the slightest chance of rain, I come fully prepared.

As far as strategy goes, if I'm ever in the spot where I'm out of dry towels and have no chance at keeping my hand/discs dry, I pull out my trusty soft magnet and use nothing but that. It's cool throwing your putter and watching people try and rip their Z plastic drivers.

As far as the PDGA cancelling/posponing an event, That's up to the TD.

I have a bag of nothing but medium x-link Vibram discs that I use for wet and cold conditions. The rubber doesn't lose its grip as much as plastic does.

Water won't hurt you. Have fun.

So today at the Old Settler's Open in Olathe, KS we really found out what rain was. Hurricane Isaac was rolling through town (yes, Hurricane Isaac was in Kansas)
Well he wasn't in my part of Kansas. We Had heatwave Hannah here instead.

Glad I went to play Pratt yesterday.

I have a bag of nothing but medium x-link Vibram discs that I use for wet and cold conditions. The rubber doesn't lose its grip as much as plastic does.

Water won't hurt you. Have fun.

I tried to throw only my vibrams, and they were slightly better. Scarp, you were lucky. Sir Isaac was not a friendly visitor.

I live in new Orleans. It rains just about everyday here in the summers. Like others have said bring a few extra towels and keep a change of clothes in the car. At our last tourney it was raining and we were more prepared then most of the others.

So today at the Old Settler's Open in Olathe, KS we really found out what rain was. Hurricane Isaac was rolling through town (yes, Hurricane Isaac was in Kansas) and it was by far the most difficult round of golf I have ever played. Discs were slipping out left and right, snap was nonexistent, and the greens were fast as snot (not to mention the sky-high scores). So I figured rather than make a new thread, I would ask it in this thread...

What are the worst conditions you have ever played in, and how did you cope with them? What was your strategy after any chance of drying your hand or discs was gone? Also, today's tournament got me wondering if the PDGA would ever cancel or postpone a tournament because of inclement weather?

Played in Isaac myself Saturday in the OSO.. It was a mean first round everything was wet.. I did find I really liked the grip on my med, Vibram Ridge putter compared to the plastic.. I dug out my med. Trak for driving helped a little.. I improved 11 stokes in the second round for a second place Tie, out of the lead by 1... All in all I had blast I learned some stuff about playing in the wet and will use that to my advantage next time in the rain.. Roc on !!

Played in Isaac myself Saturday in the OSO..

I _tried_ to play in Isaac remnants in Valparaiso on Saturday. But, it seems that the storm didn't quite get as far north as us. We only got about half an inch Saturday morning, maybe a bit more Saturday night.

So, I was prepared to play in the rain Saturday afternoon, but got bupkis.

The ground was wet, but I had more problems with slick tee pads (noticeable!) than with wet discs - my towel held out.

I played a rainy game today after my friend convinced me. I just whipped out my pro discs for some added grip and had a blast.

My first tournament it poured on the second round for a solid 25 minutes. It was a tad miserable but I remember one guy in my group said that when it rains he is first out the door to get some practice in the rain for whenever it rains at a tournament. He played well in that round also.

Wooded courses are your friends while it's raining. If you have one nearby go play that. Usually I don't get too wet while playing my local wooded course in the rain. Other than that I guess it's up to you whether or not you have the drive to get out there regardless of the weather conditions.

Same here :thmbup:

I actually enjoy throwing in the rain. I usually have the course all to myself. It gives me a chance to practice in different conditions. If I get stuck in a tourney in the rain, I'll know exactly what adjustments to make and what equipment to bring.

No he was not. I was going to play in this tournament, but unfortunately I had to take the ACT, not my favorite way to spend a Saturday.

The ACT is just about the worst way to spend a Saturday :(
Even disc golfing in a hurricane is better than the ACT...