• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Raised print inside rim.

That's interesting. :thmbup:

When I putt I tend to look at the stamp to see how I'm holding the disc. I put my thumb on the un-stamped space in-between the X in the Aviar-X and the Innova logo on my JKs... which would mean that I could read it. I never thought of being able to read it as the reason for this grip, though.

However, I never look at a stamp on any other throw. I just find where it feels good and throw.

I tend to throw some of my Innova Champion Discs, my Discraft Z, and newer ESP discs with the stamp sideways as the words are then like a guide to aiming. If that is not helping then I grip where the disc is comfortable on the rim trying not to overuse a spot or two. The two Proline Titanic's in my bag have a hash mark spot that I try to end for so my fingers are where they would be if I was doing my slightly slanted power grip and with the forehand no arm movement flick shot or the forehand putt I grip the disc so it the two fingers are touching the rim or at least the index is in the case of the standard forehand putt.

Last edited:
Wow, a lot of replies here...
Yes, obviously I just grip the disc where I can't feel any raised print, but would much prefer if I didn't have to think about it before every shot with those discs...
I did think that perhaps I could learn to like it, but it just feels uncomfortable and makes me think about my grip too much.

The worst discs for raised lettering are my Comet and Zeus. Rest are not a problem.
I wonder why they do this?

I get that much of this game is played between your ears. If you too concerned about what part of the disc you're holding because of the stamp, tooling, etc.... you probably need the kind of professional help you can't get on this forum.

Going through rack after rack of a certain mold looking for the right weight, color, plastic is tough enough. If you have to factor in "stamp orientation relative to the tooling so I can grip away from (or on) the tooling and read the stamp" ...God forbid you lose that disc. :\

I'd argue that if you're paying attention to the stamp as your getting ready to throw, you've probably already lost the mental game, and it's time to wipe the stamp.

Last edited:
The worst discs for raised lettering are my Comet and Zeus. Rest are not a problem.
I wonder why they do this?
When all we had was base plastic, all the manufaturers (granted there were three* :| ) had the tooling on the underside of the flight plate. Once candy plastic showed up, you could see the tooling through the plate. Innova decided they didn't care, Discraft decided to move the tooling to the rim where you wouldn't see it through the plate.

It mirrored what I did as a player. All of my discs used to be inked on the back of the flight plate, but now since that ink shows through on Champ/Z plastic I write my name on the rim.

Comets had the old Walled Lake tooling for a long time; they were not a regular Z disc until Discraft changed to the circle Z stamp and the stamp actually lined up and covered the tooling, so no problem. Then the patent number lawsuits happened and they had to scrub the patent number off that tooling, so since it was an issue they moved it to the rim like all their other discs.

*estimate, I didn't really count.

I play with a guy who doesn't look at the stamp and holds the disc any which way; I can't look at him when he is on the tee or lining up shot. It's like anarchy. :| Fortunately most people seem to hold the disc with the stamp oriented in a way that they can read it.

That's interesting, I have no idea where the stamp is when I throw, it's more about feeling for a spot that I like the grip of. If I let my obsessive mind know which way the disc is facing then it will be all I can think about.

I've played a lot with people who say they don't pay attention to the stamp orientation who always have the stamp oriented so that when they hold the disc in front of them the stamp is rightside-up. I think it's a very unconscious thing that people generally do.

The raised rim tooling does bother me, but if there's enough clean space to get my fingers in, I'm fine.

What does bother me is feeling the stamp on my thumb. One of the things that drove me nuts on some Discraft discs that had the ring around the edge stamp, I hated that!

I like the classic Innova Star plastic stamp, just enough to say what it is and nothing to get under my thumb. And no, I could care less which way the stamp is oriented when I throw.

I play with a guy who doesn't look at the stamp and holds the disc any which way; I can't look at him when he is on the tee or lining up shot. It's like anarchy. :| Fortunately most people seem to hold the disc with the stamp oriented in a way that they can read it.

You took me totally of guard with this post. I have NEVER given any thought to the stamp when throwing. I have NEVER even given a thought to other's attention to their stamp. I will have to start paying attention to my cardmates.

Definitely never think about stamp orientation, that's the first I've heard!

It's just a feel thing for me... It's not that it's in my head as much as it is just uncomfortable. It's like people who don't like beaded discs, it just doesn't feel right. I would've preferred they kept it in the flight plate where you can't feel it.

Anyways, for now I think I'll leave them. Worried I'll just screw up the discs I love... still love the way they fly, it's just a bit distracting having to spin the disc to find the right grip every time I want to throw them, and would rather focus on the shots.

I bought a Buzzz OS last year and immediately liked the raised letters. Since it's only in two spots, you can choose where you want to hold it.

I have two old Lightning discs with raised lines that go all the way around the inside of the rim. I can see where that would be a problem if you didn't like the feel, but I always did which is probably why I like the raised lettering on the Buzzz.

It's funny, raised lettering on the inside of the rim doesn't really concern me very much when using a power grip. However, for putting in the circle I use a fan grip and my fingers extend pretty much to the center of the bottom plate and lettering in that area bothers me a lot. Some of the worst in this regard are Vibram or Gateway discs. I definitely have to rotate the disc so I can't feel the lettering on them.

I have one of Tobu Disc's first protos, and it had part of the disc smooth, then progressed in different grits of texture. Can't remember the ratio, but I think it was half smooth, then the other half, was divided into 3 different levels. Great idea imo.

001-4.jpg

I have one of Tobu Disc's first protos, and it had part of the disc smooth, then progressed in different grits of texture. Can't remember the ratio, but I think it was half smooth, then the other half, was divided into 3 different levels. Great idea imo.

001-4.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if this had a "broken in" type effect on the disc right off the shelf.

Doesn't bother me in the least. Kind of like the feeling of it on forehands.

I do to on the Z plastic especially when griping the disc period. Some Z can be slick in runs more so then any plastic except maybe the Jolly launcher version of Champion, something I stay way from or do the hot car method to as I did for 1 hour to some Champion Destroyers that were the Jolly Launcher version. Discraft slick versions of Z plastic at least can have flex to it so when I get the slick Z, the raised lettering comes in handy. Namely this works for the Z stalker I use, 1 or 2 of the backups are the slight flex slick plastic so the raised letters and numbers on those discs will come in handy.

I do to on the Z plastic especially when griping the disc period. Some Z can be slick in runs more so then any plastic except maybe the Jolly launcher version of Champion, something I stay way from or do the hot car method to as I did for 1 hour to some Champion Destroyers that were the Jolly Launcher version. Discraft slick versions of Z plastic at least can have flex to it so when I get the slick Z, the raised lettering comes in handy. Namely this works for the Z stalker I use, 1 or 2 of the backups are the slight flex slick plastic so the raised letters and numbers on those discs will come in handy.

Hot car method?
So the direct sunlight gets rid of the slickness? Hmm. Looks at Buzzz Z, and the C-line PD.

I actually really like the lettering. Almost with the names of the discs were longer so that the words were on more of the disc. Zone is too short for my full hand for backhand throws haha

Hot car method?
So the direct sunlight gets rid of the slickness? Hmm. Looks at Buzzz Z, and the C-line PD.

Yep should work for C line as that is Champion. I did that same thing to a Stiff slick Z Wasp from 2008 from a tournament with tournament stamp and the disc did get less stiff but got more slick to the point I could not use the disc at all. The Max weight Z Wasp is not really usable but I still keep due to being in that tournament. As long as the Z disc you have is not super stiff to the point of might not pass flex test, you should be okay. Mine was the might not pass flex test run of Stiff slick Z.

Latest posts