• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Random Draw Doubles Dillema

John Rock

Double Eagle Member
Here's a question about Doubles rules:

On hole #4 of a round (random draw, best shot) player A1 throws his favorite putter into the creek and can't find it. They continue with the round. By hole #13 player A1 is getting extremely frustrated without his putter, thinking possibly someone else will find it and not return it. After the second shots on hole #14 (a PAR 4), player A1 tells his partner (player A2) that he is going to quit the round to go look for his putter. After some heated verbal exchanges between A1 and A2, player A2 is convinced to stay and finish the round alone.

The question that came up in my mind was: Shouldn't player A2 get to continue the round with 2 throws from each lie?

The team has already paid for 2 entries, as well as 2 ACE POT entries. It wasn't A2's fault his partner quit, and he would like to continue the round since that is why he showed up to play. The group ruled that he should continue as a singles player, but I suspect that a lot of discussion on this is going to take place.

Would it make any difference if A1 had quit because of lightning? Or an injury?

he should have for sure got one extra throw a hole cali rule i was playin one time and a guy in r group had to leave for some reason and he just became the cail

PDGA dubs rules say that you have to finish as a single if your partner gets injured, etc. In a mini I would let A2 finish with two strokes per shot, or at least Cali if a compromise was needed.

youd play cali = one shot per hole . your partners ace pot and entry $ is his problem .

now how to decide how much your payout,entry fee,ace pot,money would be is up to yalls rules , whether cali players pay double entry and ace pot or if they pay half and only get half .
I dont how yall should deal with it , maybe your partners money rides and you split winnings with him or he gets a refund(or nothing back) or you buy him out . What are your rules for cali ? Does the ace pot go to the team or player?

i think he suggested two shots per lie because two entries were paid, cali is set up the way it is because only one entry is paid. thats an interesting conundrum tho.

i think he suggested two shots per lie because two entries were paid, cali is set up the way it is because only one entry is paid. thats an interesting conundrum tho.
i agree cali players should never pay double but ive heard of people doing that.

so if he kept the other guys entry and then played 2 shots per lie not cali ,would yall make him split the winnings with his partner ? imo id say yes even though the other guy quit, which is lame but they still played a certain amount of the game together and the guy that didnt quit is still playing on with their game not starting over on his own.

If a guy had to leave for good reasons and let his money ride imo youd have to split winnings with him and just because someone quits i dont it would make a difference imo.

I think A1 is a dbag for ditching A2 like that.

Beyond that, if we have an odd number at local doubles on Mondays, the odd man out plays Cali.

why would you split it? you paid to get into the ace pot, you hit the ace... you get all the money. your partner gets the benefit of a 1 scored for the doubles round. :)

One reason to split it is because of how doubles strategy usually works. Often one player tries to park the hole, and if they're successful, the other player goes for an ace run (nothing to lose). If that happens, the other player didn't even really have a shot at the ace, so splitting it seems to be the fair way to go.

One reason to split it is because of how doubles strategy usually works. Often one player tries to park the hole, and if they're successful, the other player goes for an ace run (nothing to lose). If that happens, the other player didn't even really have a shot at the ace, so splitting it seems to be the fair way to go.
well said:) i think the TD should let everyone know if its a team ace pot or not. If not id still ask my partner if wants to split cause i would split mine with him(her) but only if (s)he felt the same way. actually i might still split it with them anyway ,but i like being a dic* like that sometimes just to make them feel bad.

This was not a tourney, just random Draw Dubs. The player should play as odd dog for the remainder of the game, one extra shot per hole.

As much as it stinks I would have to go with A2 playing as a single the rest of the round. Basically his partner would get 30 seconds to throw when it was his turn and because he is not there to do so that throw is not good anymore.

I do like the Cali rule as far as an odd man out is concerned but that is not the case here since there was a partner.

As far as the Ace pot is concerned, I think it is up to the guy who hit the ace. He is still the one who hit the Ace and it was not his partner. On the one hand Doubles does have a resemblance to bike racing where you work as a team to get your one guy to hopefully win the race and as such the winnings should be spil, whatever they are. On the other hand, one person throws the disc that actually goes into the basket. I will go with this. If the first player lays up so that the second guy can go for it and he hits it then split it. If you are both going for it then no. Or if you are the layup guy and happen to hit the ace then no.

If I'm paying to get in the ace pot and I hit the ace I'm taking the cash, no questions asked. If you're alternating shots then you both should have equal ace runs, beyond that how many people have been trying to park a hole when they hit an ace and vice versa?

Another thing to consider is whether or not it's fair to the rest of the field to give the remaining player two shots per lie. If it's random doubles and one of the top players draws a low rec player and that player quits is it fair to give the top player two shots from every lie? I think you gotta go cali but he gets full payout if he cashes.