• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ratings calculator?

tillertiller

a buddy told me there was one on this site but i cannot find it, can someone point me in the correct direction? or know of another site??

Here is the link. Choose the course you played under Record a Round (you need to mark the course as played for it to show up) and record your score for each hole. Once you press submit an approximate round rating will show up on the right side.

I have the actual PDGA ratings calculator. I could post it.

I was given it back in 2003. I'll have to dig it up, but it's time for it to go public.

Last edited:
It's still pretty accurate when you plug in scores from current events.

And will allow people to help calculate based on PDGA standards a few years ago.

Why would you change something that is so great? And doesn't changing it nullify all old rTings?

a buddy told me there was one on this site but i cannot find it, can someone point me in the correct direction? or know of another site??

If you have a mobile device with the google android operating system, the app called Easy Scorecard does ratings.

I remember someone telling a newbie at a tournament a few years ago that he either saw it on a Dungeons and Dragons message board or in the Lambda Lambda Lambda newsletter which was funny at the time.

I thought ratings also had to do with the field as well? How you do as well as how good/bad everyone in your division does?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I thought ratings also had to do with the field as well? How you do as well as how good/bad everyone in your division does?

Oh well yeah REAL ratings require X number of propagators playing the same layout. But not fake ratings which is what anyone looking for an alternate source of ratings would be talking about even if they don't know they're talking about fake ones.

If you have a mobile device with the google android operating system, the app called Easy Scorecard does ratings.
EasyScorecard does provide round ratings, if the course has an SSA filled in for the tee you're playing. And then, as you said, it's only an approximate rating, i.e. based on the conditions that generate that SSA.

Is there a reason my rating was "n/a"? I just submitted a scorecard for my home course and thats all i got.

Did you select a tee and play all of the holes?

Looks like it was the tee thing; didnt even select it the first time, thanks!

One quick question about ratings; can anyone give me a numerical scale on what ratings are phenomenal and what ones are horrible (kind of like that 1-10 pain scale at the doctors with the faces)? I know 1000 and above are getting pro level but I still havent fully grasped it.

The average rating for all rated players in the PDGA is around 910.

Okay cool thanks! So my first ever rating (at least off dgcr) is a 967, and Ive shot better than that at the same course on a different round this week. Gotta go rate that one.

Now if only I could shoot good rounds like that all the time...

The average rating for all rated players in the PDGA is around 910.
Neat data. Just went on PDGA and saw 17473 players with a rating under the PDGA Player Statistics screen. Midpoint (player with 8737th highest rating) was 890 so that would be the mean. I wonder what contributes to the average (or median) being higher than the mean?

There is a thread somewhere in these forums where folks worked on reverse-engineering the math behind ratings, but for play vs. a couple of friends, you don't need all that, and it won't even work for small groups. The main concept is that every 10 ratings points represents one stroke on a course with SSA around 50. SSA is the score you'd expect a 1000-rated player to score, so on a course at 50 SSA, the 1000 rated player should beat the 900 rated player by 10 strokes. Being rated 1000 is analogous to a "scratch" handicap in ball golf, but the top pros are rated over 1030.

On courses with higher SSA, a stroke is worth fewer than 10 points, and on courses with lower SSA, a stroke is worth more than 10 points. The PDGA website has a lot of info. on the subject. But to get any true round rating, you have to compare your score against a field of competitors. Anything else is just an estimate.

If you just want a concept of what ratings mean in terms of skill level, look at the names assigned to the ratings protected divisions. Under 900 is "recreational", 900-925 (if I recall) is "intermediate" from there up to around 960 or so is "advanced" and above that you start to get "local pros", aka the guys in town that take everybody's money in weekly league play. The guys who tour are generally rated over 1000.

Latest posts