• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ray1970’s ITB

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Thought I would post my current ITB just to track my changes over time. Comments, suggestions, and feedback welcome.

Years playing/experience: 3+

Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: predominantly RHBH

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:

Putters: 200/250'

Mids: 250/275'

Drivers: 300/350'

General information about me:

49 years old, in decent physical condition for my age but definitely not an athlete by any means.

I do have a herniated disc in my lower back which limits my mobility due to the amount of pain it causes me.

My form even after more than three years of play is still a work in progress. Also, just beginning to incorporate a FH into my game on a limited basis.

Usually play two to three rounds a week pretty much year round.

Best round ever was -14 but that was a single disc round (P2) at Johnny Roberts in Arvada, CO so take that for what it's worth. Typically I come in above par on any course that isn't a short, pitch and putt course.

Anyhow, on to the bag.

Putters:

2x Discraft Jawbreaker Roaches- putting

1x Axiom Envy, electron firm- straight or turnover drives and approaches

1x Axiom Envy, neutron- longer straight or shorter slightly overstable drives and approaches

1x Westside Harp, BT medium- overstable drives and approaches

Mids:

1x Discmania MD3, Iron Samurai, C-line glow metal
Flake- my go to mid for just about anything as long as it isn't stupid windy

1x Westside Bard, tournament plastic- when the wind is up or I need a stronger finish than the MD3

1x Westside Anvil, VIP- FH approaches, backhand duties when I really need stability or fade, heavy wind use, occasional thumbers or forehand rollers

Fairways:

1x Discmania FD, S-line- holds lines well, will mostly holds hyzer, or can be thrown dead straight, or can be turned over. Very versatile for me in general

1x Discraft Vulture, ESP- when I need more beef or control than the FD but it isn't beefy to the point of being too much disc for me.

Drivers:

1x Dynamic Discs Trespass, Lucid Air- this is my workhorse driver. Can be a little flippy in the winds if I am not careful but generally controllable otherwise and gives me good distance.

1x Latitude 64 Bolt, Lucid Air- this is my big distance disc. I have pushed this out to 400' on a couple of occasions. Calm days or tailwinds this is my go to for distance off the tee. Any wind besides a tailwind and this pretty much stays in the bag.

1x Dynamic Discs Defender, Lucid Air- pretty much stays in the bag unless I'm dealing with wind.

My bag has undergone quite a few changes over my time playing but this is probably my most well rounded setup for my current abilities and level of play.

Looks like you have most lines covered, I couldn't play without a very OS control driver, but if you don't have the arm for it you could probably cover that with other discs.

Might throw in a slightly heavier Trespass just in case you catch some wind?

Yeah. I agree with all of that.

I occasionally slip in an FD3 but it's pretty much just a utility disc for me and it doesn't do much for me that I can't do with my Anvil.

I have a stack of Trespasses in various plastics and weights and do occasionally bag a heavier one. Even thought about just bagging them for all of my distance stuff between the various weights and plastics.

I'm sure you noticed all of my high speed stuff is pretty light (156-158) because I can't get heavier ones up to speed for a decent flight. I can get the Bolt and Trespass to flip up and get a decent flight even with my distance.

The slower the disc, the heavier I go. The fairways are in the 171-173 range and the mods and putters are all max weight.

Mixed up some things in the bag.

Took out the Harp and Anvil and stuck in a Zone to take the place of both of them.

Took out the Defender because I basically got tired of carrying it around and almost never throw it.

Slipped in Teebird because everyone everyone loves them and I wanted to try one.

Also temporarily stuck a Leopard in my bag for the same reason as the Teebird- mostly just to try it.

Also toying around with throwing a Buzzz and a Buzzz OS right now just to see how they handle midrange duties.

My expectation is that the Teebird will likely make the bag as it is like a more stable compliment to my FD. The Leopard doesn't seem to do much for me that my FD doesn't do so it probably won't make it. The Zone has been working well for me for forehand and backhand and fills in nicely for my Harp and Anvil so it will likely stay. Not sure about the Buzzz and Buzzz OS. The OS is decent but the regular Buzzz has turned over too much for me on a flat release leaving me way right of where I wanted to be. Maybe it was just me and I didn't throw it cleanly. It does hold a beautiful sweeping hyzer.

Blew up my whole bag again because I just do that sometimes.

As of today....

2x P2's for putting- putted with these for several years before I gave the Roach a go but now back on the P2's

1x s-line P2- this was my main throwing putter for a while but took it out to bag the Envy but now it's back.

1x 2019 Wysicki Pro Pig

1x Discmania MD3 Iron Samurai

1x Discmania MD4 (c-line glow)

1x s-line FD

1x color glow FD3

1x Discraft Vulture

1x DD Escape

1x Westside Hatchet

With the distance I get with the Escape and Hatchet I couldn't justify keeping anything faster in the bag. I much prefer the feel of a 9/10 speed rim anyways.

Eleven total discs keep the bag light. I'll toss in spares if I do a tournament and use my cart so as not to have to carry the extra weight.

I hate your putter changes since I putt with Roaches and throw a beat JB Roach and an Envy. ��

Tried the P2 a few years ago and they seemed a little deep for my liking.

Edit - I hate your Pig for Zone change too....��

Last edited:
Blew up the bag again for 2021. Just because.

2x soft P-line P2's

2x Envy's- a beat firm Electron and a fresh Plasma.

2x Harps- a beat BT soft and a newish Tournament plastic.

2x Gatekeepers- went in for winter duty based on the colors but they may just stay in for a while. This is pretty much the trilogy equivalent of a Buzzz in my opinion.

1x Justice- for justice things- this is my utility disc.

3x Escapes- fusion, lucid, and lucid-x. These things cover all kinds of shots for me.

2x Felons- lucid metallic and a lucid glimmer. For more control than the Escapes and/or when the wind is stupid. I also like them for thumbers.

3x Sapphires- with my noodle arm and bad back I can get easy distance out of these. I don't quite trust myself with them on windy days but they go far in calm conditions or tail winds.

Had some solid rounds running this bag so far in 2021 so I'll keep with it a bit.

Crazy winds lately have made me readjust my current bag. Also trying to sort of simplify things a bit.

Currently in the bag.

Same soft P-line P2's I've been putting with for a while now.

Electron firm Envy.

BT soft Harp.

2020 Wysocki Pig.

Metal flake glow MD3.

Metal flake C-line MD4.

MD5 in for the Justice for now. Because going MD3, MD4, MD5 seemed more logical.

2x S-line FD's.

2x Felons because they're handy in the wind. Might slip some FD3's in instead.

2x Sapphires for easy distance when the wind is down.

2x Vultures for when I can't trust the Sapphires.

The Felon or FD3 role is for when the wind is stupid and I can't trust the Sapphires or Vultures.

Blew up the bag about a month ago.

Putting hemp blend Wizards now in place of my P2's. Doing pretty well with them but still getting comfortable with the bead.

Rocking two Envy's. A well used electron firm for flippy shots, turnovers, and powered down dead straight shots and a fresh cosmic neutron for straight rips with a dependable yet gentle finish.

Stuck a ZFLX Ringer GT in for the Harp spot and pairing it with a Zone if I need more distance or a stronger finish.

Bagging one mid because the Envy's can cover a lot of mid type shots. Currently enjoying an ESP Buzzz.

Still bagging a Justice for justice type things.

The FD's have been pulled and a pair of new cosmic neutron Craves are filling in nicely in their place.

A pair of Volts have been working nicely as a more stable compliment to the Craves.

Two Felons are pulling duty when I need more stability than the Volts and a bigger finish.

Distance shots are currently being filled by a pair of Sapphires and a pair of Traces. The traces are kind of like a nicely seasoned Wraith for me. The Sapphires are great if there isn't any wind but I'm thinking of pulling them in favor of something sort of flippy in the speed nine realm that I can get in max weight. Since a lot of MVP/Axiom/Streamline stuff has been making the bag recently I'm thinking of maybe trying the Insanity or Lift in this slot.

I did years ago but honestly don't remember anything about it. A storm came in and I got it nose up and the winds pitched it into a deep, overgrown canal never to be seen again.

I'll look into it.

I did years ago but honestly don't remember anything about it. A storm came in and I got it nose up and the winds pitched it into a deep, overgrown canal never to be seen again.

I'll look into it.

No need to look into it, I was just curious. Ravines though... what a hassle.

Ha. Yeah. It was more of a ravine than a canal. One of those ones with waist high weeds. It cuts across between the tee pad and the fairway and is generally very easy to clear. You know, unless you throw a little nose up into 40+ mph headwinds. Then the disc climbs straight up like a rocket about 200' and then literally gets pushed backwards into the heart of the abyss.

Looked at the relay and it's a little more leopardish than what I'm looking for.

My wife wanted to make a trip to the south side of town so I'm pretty close to a decent disc golf store (Fly Green) so might just stop by and fondle some discs.

So, my form has really been improving and I'm gaining distance across the board and my bag has adjusted to keep up with my game.

Updating this for my own records.

Putting with Wizards. The Wizard was my first putter and I've come full circle I guess.

My short game is covered with a beat firm electron Envy and a Pig. I've found there isn't much I can't do inside 250' with these two discs.

I bag one mid. Its an ESP Buzzz. It kind of fills a gap between the putters and my fairways but honestly doesn't get thrown much.

Fairway duties are being covered by a heavy Diamond (because I don't have a serviceable forehand yet), a Crave that I lean on heavily for most shots, and a Fireball for overstable stuff.

For distance shots I've gravitated to Wraiths. Currently using a g-star, a domey champion, and one of the Gurthie halos. Depending on the shape and distance I need these three seem to cover pretty much everything I need.

Discs that may work their way in and out depending on my mood or the course are the Vulture and Undertaker. I now have a Stego that I might try and work in but likely I won't.

So, my form has really been improving and I'm gaining distance across the board and my bag has adjusted to keep up with my game.

Updating this for my own records.

Putting with Wizards. The Wizard was my first putter and I've come full circle I guess.

My short game is covered with a beat firm electron Envy and a Pig. I've found there isn't much I can't do inside 250' with these two discs.

I bag one mid. Its an ESP Buzzz. It kind of fills a gap between the putters and my fairways but honestly doesn't get thrown much.

Fairway duties are being covered by a heavy Diamond (because I don't have a serviceable forehand yet), a Crave that I lean on heavily for most shots, and a Fireball for overstable stuff.

For distance shots I've gravitated to Wraiths. Currently using a g-star, a domey champion, and one of the Gurthie halos. Depending on the shape and distance I need these three seem to cover pretty much everything I need.

Discs that may work their way in and out depending on my mood or the course are the Vulture and Undertaker. I now have a Stego that I might try and work in but likely I won't.

I was using the Stego almost exclusively for 150' and in. Loved it. Then I decided to 'man up' and use a putter for these shots. I thought I was doing pretty well. Pulled the Stego back out after a month or so and now feel like I'm cheating.

I'd like to hear more about the Crave.

I'd like to hear more about the Crave.

I was throwing FD's pretty much since I first started playing. For whatever reason it was one of those molds that just clicked with me and if lines, angles, and distances were important on a shot you could bet I was throwing the FD.

Anyhow, with all of Discmania's issues for the last couple of years I wanted to look for a replacement that felt and flew like the FD but was more readily available.

I tried everything that should have been close (Leopard 3, TL, centurion, and several offerings from other manufacturers) but nothing was exactly what I was looking for.

My wife happened to pick up a Crave and I really didn't know anything about it. Threw it a couple of times and I'll be darned if it didn't feel and fly just like my favorite S-line FD's.

Picked up a few for myself and haven't looked back.

Mine are all max weight and cosmic neutron for whatever that's worth and I like them for 300-325' shots that have to be accurate.

Now that you say this, I remember the previous conversations. I've only thrown my one C-line FD. I always wished it didn't fade as hard. Probably needed the s-line.

Note to self- while the Diamonds I have been bagging recently work wonderfully in Colorado for hyzer flip turnovers they are way more temperamental and finicky at lower elevations.

Going into 2022 I think I am going to see if I can work on a serviceable forehand.

Note to self- while the Diamonds I have been bagging recently work wonderfully in Colorado for hyzer flip turnovers they are way more temperamental and finicky at lower elevations.

Going into 2022 I think I am going to see if I can work on a serviceable forehand.

I feel like I say this all the time, but I started with flicking approaches- I mean, I never approach BH unless I have to. (Even then I'm more likely to flick a panning turnover.) After a dozen or so rounds, I felt more comfortable sidearm off the tee. Now I 'can' throw a sidearm 275-300' even if I never want to.

Wrecked.

That's what the wind did to my game the other day. Even my "overstable" discs were getting squirrelly.

Short game (Pig, Roc, and Wizards) actually didn't suffer horribly in the wind but anything with any sort of wide rim off the tee was just bad.

Probably just need to work on me and what I'm doing wrong in the wind but thinking about sticking some sort of different driver in the bag as a bandage to stop the bleeding until I get my windy day driving form sorted out.

I'll have to dig through the stash and see what I have that I don't bag because it's "too much disc" for me.