• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RDG Raptor/Discraft Raptor Name Debacle

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Hi all,

I can't let it go... I found the email from the PDGA stating explicitly that Raptor is an unacceptable name.

Attached is the email from Jeff who conducts the testing.

Sketchy stuff here.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I don't usually air stuff like this and I hope I've built a little leash with you all to vent.

Jamie

Attachments

• received_322062318411300.png
    received_322062318411300.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 531
Hi all,

I can't let it go... I found the email from the PDGA stating explicitly that Raptor is an unacceptable name.

Attached is the email from Jeff who conducts the testing.

Sketchy stuff here.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I don't usually air stuff like this and I hope I've built a little leash with you all to vent.

Jamie

The debacle is that the PDGA felt that Rapter would be confusing and denied the name request in 2015, because there was a disc called Raptor?

I thought that the Raptor was never officially PDGA approved? Was this the point in time that Innova was trying to get the disc approved? I understand your frustration, but there seems to be some missing information in the issue and timeline.

In the bigger picture, you are legit in your issue, if the rules are not being applied equally across the board. But, also in the bigger picture, my dad taught me that life is often unfair.

I might just let it go. Really, no matter the outcome, taking this to the interwebz is probably not going to be a good look for Reptilian Discs.

Yea that would be frustrating. How about the Reptiliator? lol . I think the rule is in place to prevent knock offs. Like a company making say a destroyer clone and naming it the destrayor and duping unsuspecting folks into buying it.

Maybe if you sold Raptors on a regular basis, this wouldn't be an issue. But I haven't seen any on your site in over a year.

Plus, your Raptor is really a Sabertooth/Mammoth/Buffalo/Ogopogo, or whatever Daredevil calls this irrelevant mold.

Oddly enough what about the Wraith/Wrath debate? I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Didn't DD and Legacy have an issue over the name Outlaw at some point?

What about the Prodigy lineup? D1, D2...so confusing. :p

Kidding aside. Kind of lame to have the name Raptor denied due to an out of production mold.

Kidding aside. Kind of lame to have the name Raptor denied due to an out of production mold.
I see where the PDGA is coming from on this. Stuff's slipped through before because they haven't been as diligent as they should have been (Prodigy X2 vs Discraft X2). I don't think that should mean that anything goes as a result.

The original disc being out of production shouldn't make a difference since it can always be brought back and the PDGA doesn't control those decisions. It's not like they can or should rescind approval of an OOP mold so the name can be recycled. Even if the original manufacturer approves or is out of business. Far simpler on the PDGA end to just require unique names for all approved molds going forward.

I was thinking similarly. When RDG was denied the name, was the Rapter OOP? And now, later, it is OOP and therefore they allow it for DC? Or is it just DC has more leverage? I really have no idea. It was just a question that popped into my head.

Discraft evidently purchased the rights to the name "raptor" from RPM who changed their disc called the "raptor" to the "kiwi". Since Innova never had their raptor approved their disc is irrelevant from the PDGA perspective. Why the PDGA refused to allow Reptilian to market a raptor based on the email is a good question. Also a good question is why everyone wants the name "raptor" so badly when there are a zillion other animals/mythical creatures/whatever out there to be had.

Discraft evidently purchased the rights to the name "raptor" from RPM who changed their disc called the "raptor" to the "kiwi". Since Innova never had their raptor approved their disc is irrelevant from the PDGA perspective. Why the PDGA refused to allow Reptilian to market a raptor based on the email is a good question. Also a good question is why everyone wants the name "raptor" so badly when there are a zillion other animals/mythical creatures/whatever out there to be had.

Probably wanted to make sure Innova did not name a disc the raptor first since that is Wysoki's nickname

Discraft evidently purchased the rights to the name "raptor" from RPM who changed their disc called the "raptor" to the "kiwi". Since Innova never had their raptor approved their disc is irrelevant from the PDGA perspective.

I was with Jamie until I read this. Sounds like you just learned a very painful lesson, Jamie. Sorry man.

Sucks, but Ptero is a better name anyways man. Follow the signs from the universe.

I'd buy it.

I might just let it go. Really, no matter the outcome, taking this to the interwebz is probably not going to be a good look for Reptilian Discs.

Discraft evidently purchased the rights to the name "raptor" from RPM who changed their disc called the "raptor" to the "kiwi".
I'd say it's definitely not a good look. Venting to your customers in never a good idea, especially before all the facts are known.

Certainly, they can share whatever they want.

But sometimes the problem is not whether you could do something, but whether you should.

Sucks, but Ptero is a better name anyways man. Follow the signs from the universe.

I'd buy it.

Not to mention Dinosaurs were warm blooded and genetically closer to birds than reptiles anyway. Actual raptors probably looked like giant vicious chickens.

Latest posts