• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

^beat me to it...very interested in what other's opinions are.

It's fantastic and clear, and has a nice overlay of the shoulders/arms in bird's eye view. Hard to be accessible like that without being technically incorrect somewhere, good job.

That said if your body isn't in the right position/balance it's going to be real hard to get your arms to do that...but getting your arms to do that is still the goal.

So how do you get that increased acceleration with the whip?
Concentrate on more power at that point of the throw?
If that's the case, crazy acceleration at the release, won't that put your accuracy in jeopardy?
Aren't most of us doing that already?
I don't understand the difference between a sling and a whip. :\

That is always what I assumed was the goal of the "reach way back" and why I think more videos like this need to happen. Just come out and say WHY you need to reach back as far as you can. I like to know how mechanics work, not just to be told reach way back (so this other secret thing will happen). It's the same advise as keeping your head down or make sure your plant foot is always parallel to your target, both are not the best advice UNLESS you actually know WHY you're being told these things. And sometimes head up is good and sometimes toe pointed in or out is what you need to execute the shot.

I see a lot of beginners going way overboard with backwards run ups in order to reach way back with very poor results most of the time. Their just trying to do what they're told without really knowing the true reason or true goal.

The main things are load your hips, turn your shoulders, trust your line, pull straight through, knees bent..... actually it is complicated and hard to sum up but still, more videos about the true mechanics of the backhand throw need to come out.

Catapults/trebuchets use a sling to whip.
attachment.php

Seppo "reaching back".

I just swing back and forth like a pendulum, if I want more distance I swing back longer away from my center of gravity moving forward.

Attachments

• Figure 5.jpg
    Figure 5.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,381
Last edited:
Catapults/trebuchets use a sling to whip.
attachment.php

Seppo "reaching back".

I just swing back and forth like a pendulum, if I want more distance I swing back longer away from my center of gravity moving forward.

Are you saying that a "reach back" is similar to a catapult launch, pretty much straight back and straight through? That seems to help with my accuracy, pulling straight through to the target.
But a whip, where the "backswing" is actually curled across the chest, is like an actual whip, curled up and then unleashed with a crack!? It feels like that would lead to accuracy problems, finding that right time to release on target, when your arm is not moving in a straight plane.

Tip of the whip makes sense... in fact, that's the most salient point I gleaned from this discussion:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132500, the difference being that the OP there said he was keeping the throwing arm passive and cranking up the initial angular acceleration with a low radius twist (forcing the trailing arm held close to pass around the body) with the throwing arm then unfurling like a whip.

Are you saying that a "reach back" is similar to a catapult launch, pretty much straight back and straight through? That seems to help with my accuracy, pulling straight through to the target.
But a whip, where the "backswing" is actually curled across the chest, is like an actual whip, curled up and then unleashed with a crack!? It feels like that would lead to accuracy problems, finding that right time to release on target, when your arm is not moving in a straight plane.
A towel that is already curled up will not whip as hard as one being dynamically curled.

Ever use a Sling Shot - pull it further back and it elastically slings/whips/springs further, same thing with a pendulum. Also goes straight much more consistently.

Not really clear or helpful IMO. Seppo definitely reaches back. Reach back is just poor nomenclature for a back swing that's a by-product of getting your body positioned and loading up for the throw. He doesn't explain the difference between "sling" (poor word choice again) and "whip." I think by sling he means strong arming or rounding where you don't really get the multiplier effect created by using leverage. If you consciously reach back and then pull on a straight line without the levers doing anything your velocity ceiling is capped pretty hard. But slinging the disc out on a leveraged arc is exactly the goal so that's gonna confuse people.

Not really clear or helpful IMO. Seppo definitely reaches back. Reach back is just poor nomenclature for a back swing that's a by-product of getting your body positioned and loading up for the throw. He doesn't explain the difference between "sling" (poor word choice again) and "whip." I think by sling he means strong arming or rounding where you don't really get the multiplier effect created by using leverage. If you consciously reach back and then pull on a straight line without the levers doing anything your velocity ceiling is capped pretty hard. But slinging the disc out on a leveraged arc is exactly the goal so that's gonna confuse people.

I actually thought he was referring to the power pocket, where the whip throw gets into the power pocket and the sling throw does not.

I actually thought he was referring to the power pocket, where the whip throw gets into the power pocket and the sling throw does not.

Well that's rounding in a nut shell. Power pocket is more of a bent-elbow characteristic though and not necessarily the only way to big distance. Power pocket isn't as noticeable to players with Swedish style or really wide-rails. A lot of the same stuff is happening but the "pocket" is bigger and hard to distinguish.

Reachback era is over?

It was over years ago.

Working around the disc/door frame drills etc been around on the youtubes for at least 5 years.

I don't really know what DD is talking about with the sling as he doesn't describe it, it sounds like he's talking about a throw with the hand leading the disc. The whip is just leveraging the far side of the disc and doing it with a loose whipping arm, there're a few ways to achieve this but it's as simple as that really. Something that has been discussed ad infintum on here for years and before that less clearly on DGR and before that the PDGA forums with DD himself. What's changed in the last few years is SW22's body mechanics stuff that helps set the body up for the most powerful leverage of that disc (which are now being roundly ignored by Disc Golfs form messiah who doesn't understand them and we're back to focusing on byproducts of other mechanisms, yippee....)

There are exceptions to everything. A typical player neither has the natural talent James does nor have they been playing since they were 8.

Matt Hammersten is an even better example. He throws with what i like to call "internet technique" very successfully and has risen to a high rating in a pretty short time. He is also a good dude and very willing to teach. This has resulted in a bunch of amateur players in NOVA who are so caught up in worrying about how they are throwing that they have no idea where they are throwing.