• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

Haven't really studied what affects the flight of disc, there's couple good studies in finnish made of it tho, have to read those someday. What comes to physics, I thought reynolds number has big effect on how much the disc turns. Cold air having higher kinematic viscosity makes reynolds number smaller making the flight "less" turbulent.

Re = Disc speed relative to air * characteristic lenght of disc / kinematic viscosity

Speed and lenght of disc staying standard only the air temperature makes a difference.

Personally for me the biggest difference comes from not getting good grip of discs in cold weather making the release more wobbly I think. In exchange the ejection speed is probably bit slower due to all the clothing so can't really decide are my discs acting less or more stable in cold weather. :D

Threw some today in 0 degrees celsius and on video the release looks imo more wobbly compared to warm weather, but the flight wasn't really any different. Excuse my ****ty form:
Let me know what I might be getting wrong in the following:

The discussions of the transition between laminar-turbulent flow, and how quickly this occurs as described by the Reynolds number, seem to all center around the speed with which a laminar flow becomes turbulent, or its likelihood to become turbulent in a system. The discussions indicate, if I'm reading things correctly, that a low Reynolds number will result in a slower transition from laminar flow to turbulent flow - and so objects that have laminar flow will be less likely to become turbulent.

However - we are discussing a disc being ejected with off-axis torque. The disc is already in a state of turbulence. Would it not be rational to expect something to take longer to return to a state of laminar flow if its initial state is turbulent in this sort of system?

Yes, I already addressed the impact of the denser air. The denser air causes the turn FOR A REASON fella. Because any excessive wobble will cause an even more exaggerated impact throwing off the distribution of the air under the flight plate. If your release is clean enough - you can significantly minimize the high speed turning effect in the cold dense air.

Yes, but when the release is clean, the disc is still going to turn more initially in the cold air. With my arm strength almost all my discs are understable to begin with. Add in cold dense air and it makes those discs even more understable. I can throw 60% and get a nice s curve flight but any more than that and I got to put it on a pretty good hyzer angle to get it to fly without flipping over in the cold air.

Yes, but when the release is clean, the disc is still going to turn more initially in the cold air. With my arm strength almost all my discs are understable to begin with. Add in cold dense air and it makes those discs even more understable. I can throw 60% and get a nice s curve flight but any more than that and I got to put it on a pretty good hyzer angle to get it to fly without flipping over in the cold air.
You're claiming superior arm strength and a clean release. If you have both - you should be throwing over 400 down to well below freezing. So either you're totally wrong about one or you're totally wrong about the other. Which is it?

You're claiming superior arm strength and a clean release. If you have both - you should be throwing over 400 down to well below freezing. So either you're totally wrong about one or you're totally wrong about the other. Which is it?

False accusations brother. I don't claim superior arm strength. Where did you get that from? I do claim a generally good clean release though. I'm striving to get to 400 feet, not that I'm there yet. Only been playing 5 months.

False accusations brother. I don't claim superior arm strength. Where did you get that from? I do claim a generally good clean release though. I'm striving to get to 400 feet, not that I'm there yet. Only been playing 5 months.
See: Sarocams post.

Probably from this:

Perhaps you misunderstood, eh eh. What was meant is that because I don't have a strong arm yet most of the discs I have are understable- you know- discs for new players/ players who dont have good distance yet. Most of my discs are in the 150-160 gram and are -1 to -3 on the turn- thus "understable" discs.

Perhaps you misunderstood, eh eh. What was meant is that because I don't have a strong arm yet most of the discs I have are understable- you know- discs for new players/ players who dont have good distance yet. Most of my discs are in the 150-160 gram and are -1 to -3 on the turn- thus "understable" discs.
He didn't really misunderstand. You wrote it in the form of "I'm a really good chess player" when in reality you have only played against people who have never played it before.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Latest posts