• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Really Cool Moment For Me

smitdavi

Par Member
My wife and I went to spend the weekend with my father and step mom to celebrate a late Father's Day. Before I left I packed my bag in the car and tossed in my fade crunch bag and put a few beginner friendly discs in there in case anyone wanted to play with me. On Sunday we woke up and my dad said he'd love to go out and learn and throw a round with me. I was like...ok, I actually brought a bag for you. We loaded up the car and went to the best course in his area. My dad is in his early 50's and is in pretty good shape. We spent about 30 minutes going over how to putt, proper stance, etc. I gave him a Lat Diamond and took him to an open area and gave him the basics. I started out by showing him the mechanics and introduced the right pec drill to him. Made him take a bunch of dry runs before letting him rip one just by throwing from his pec. All be damned if his first throw was damn near perfect. I little high speed turn (to be expected from the diamond) with a beautiful fade. I was astonished. After he got a few more good throws we went to the #1 tee and played our 18. He was consistently putting it out there around 150' on a nice line just by throwing from his chest with no real reach back. I tried to keep it as simple for him as possible. Spent a lot of time just trying to explain the flight mechanics of the disc and by the end of the round he was throwing shots I was actually impressed by. He ended up shooting a +27 on a course that isn't beginner friendly but he loved every minute of it. Was a cool father/son moment for me in that I actually got to teach my dad a sport I love and he embraced it. He embraced it so much he called me today telling me he went out and scouted some more courses in the area and is already planning our next DG weekend. Just wanted to share my experience. This is a great game that can be enjoyed by all.

Last edited:
My son got me started almost 5 years ago and I was immediately hooked. We go out regularly and are very closely matched, so we always have some great, friendly competition. I enjoy it more than anything we've ever done together.:thmbup:

Good for you and your Dad. My story is the same, except from Dad's side. Father's Day three years ago I decided to put my sons out of their what-to-get-Dad-for-father's-day misery by telling them all I wanted was for them to take me out and show me this disc golf they'd been playing. They did. They're now off in university but the Father's Day round has become tradition. Big bonus for my sons is that I have a mountain of discs that they can pick and choose from when they are home; they don't have to buy their own discs. Best Father's Day gifts = time with the kids.

Kudos to your Dad. This statement of yours stood out to me, "...I actually got to teach my dad..." Speaking as a Dad, it is really important to me to allow my boys to teach me things. I like to think it conveys a message that I recognize them as men, as such they are my equal (but I'm still the DAD!!), they have my respect, and I appreciate that they can teach me things. It sounds like you have a great Dad. Perhaps I'll see him for a round in the Advanced Grand Masters division soon ... ???

Had a similar experience with my older brother. He didn't pick up the mechanics as fast as your dad, but he embraced it and really enjoyed it. Plus he lives in Minneapolis so he should learn since it's a pretty great place for disc from what I've heard. He's been texting me with updates when he gets a new disc or like when he plays 8 days in a row.

To the OP, great story man. The best part is that it had such an impact on him that he started scouting courses after your experience had passed. Good on you mate!

Very cool. This reminds me I need to get my wife out to practice and play again instead of her just being my caddy.

Wow, way better thread than PDGA sux. Being an ambassador to the game is huge Karma and very fulfilling. Having that be your Dad, son, or anyone close to you is really great. Good for you guys.

Nice. I also was introduced to it by my son, and we are pretty equivalent players now. Unfortunately, my dad is too old to start now.

As the father of a 17 year old son, we don't have a lot of common right now and for the most part argue about everything because he knows everything and an old man like me can't tell him anything. I discovered disc golf about 5 years ago and immediately thought it would be a great sport to teach him and would still be budget friendly since ball golf is so expensive. It seems the only time we ever get along is when we are throwing discs somewhere talking trash to each other about who is going to beat who and even though we aren't that good (although he is actually getting pretty good) I cherish the time we get to spend together and we aren't fighting .

Three years ago I got a starter set from my son for Fathers Day and now I play more then he does. We still get together to play, explore new courses, and talk trash when ever we can.

My dad and I are doing the Trilogy Challenge this weekend. He's never played before so I will be practicing with him this week... I'm really looking forward to a similar experience to what you've described.