• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reasons why DG is good for a golf course

Seabrook

Par Member
Hey. I'm working with a golf course in my area about installing a DG course. They are definitely open to a course however at this point they don't want the DG course and players crossing mid-fairway. In other words, they don't want a DG hole that starts on one side of the fairway and ends up with a basket on the other side.

I'm looking for reasons why its not an issue. The flow of play is in the same direction as the regular golf course. However I need to ease the manager's concerns on safety and any annoyances between ball golfers and DGer's.

Thanks, S.

Hey. I'm working with a golf course in my area about installing a DG course. They are definitely open to a course however at this point they don't want the DG course and players crossing mid-fairway. In other words, they don't want a DG hole that starts on one side of the fairway and ends up with a basket on the other side.

I'm looking for reasons why its not an issue. The flow of play is in the same direction as the regular golf course. However I need to ease the manager's concerns on safety and any annoyances between ball golfers and DGer's.

Thanks, S.

Will dg groups be in the same que as golfers, or will the holes be played at the same time (a group of disc golfers could drive on hole one, at the same time a group of golfers tee off on 1)?

I'm a disc golfer and ball golfer. I've played ball golf on a course where there was a disc golf course (before I got started in disc golf). The course finally shut down the disc golf course due to the injuries and the course owner's liability/insurance.

When I was playing, I had a clear fairway and hit my ball only to see a disc golfer walk across the fairway...I yelled fore, and luckily the player wasn't hit. I also had discs miss me while I was playing.

So I definitely can see the concern.

Thanks, S.

On the ball golf courses I have played on, the pace of play differential really makes it flow well. It takes on average a couple minutes for every golfer to get to his ball and hit it. If you plan fairway crossings within the initial 100 yards of a hole, you have a large window of time for the disc golfers to throw while the ball golfers are preparing to hit their second shots. Any ball golfers waiting on the tee will have to wait longer for the ball golfers in front of them than the disc golfers.

They probably don't have golf holes that cross fairways either. There are proven reasons to avoid that. Fairway crossing is not considered best practice for DG either. Their property, their investment, their members, their liability. Use their criteria for your design. Maybe it won't be all the DGC you envision but work with them not against them and see what you can do.

This is something I wondered about.

I suppose you can share the course, but if I were playing BG, I wouldn't want to deal with people playing DG.

And as a DG player knowing a ball can fly 300 yards pretty easily puts you in the target zone. I wouldn't like it.

I think the only way you could ease this would be to have the tees be close enough that players can easily communicate and queue in sync. I would have a thought a tee any further than 10 yards away would be too much. Each tee would need to see each other as you approach them as well so it comes as no surprise when a card of the other type arrives.

Latest posts