• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend a good tailwind driver

Burrito

Birdie Member
I'm looking for suggestions for a good tailwind driver. Here's my style:

I throw low straight lines more than high "s" lines

Current max D drivers:
- ESP Flash 350ish
- pro Katana - hyzer flipped - 350ish

Fairways
- flat teebirds - up to 320
- avenger ss - hyzer flipped up to 320

I haven't quite found one that performs well in tailwinds. I've played with a light Beast that was ok, but not great.

Looking for suggestions that will give me some good distance.

I am I correct assuming I want a slower, glidey driver for tailwinds?

No.as long as the disc is understable it wont fight the like a overstable disc...Slow glidey disc are ideal but does not make a huge differnce.

It really depends on how you're throwing the hole and which way the wind is blowing, but you definitely need something you can get nose down. That usually means a slower disc.

If you have a tailcross wind coming from the right (for a RHBH thrower) you probably want to throw something understable on a slight hyzer and let it glide forever. If it's coming from the left, you might want to throw something more overstable on an anhyzer and let it ride that wind and flex out near the end. There's a lot of options but the biggest thing is to make sure the disc doesn't just get pushed straight down.

Your Katana and Avenger SS should work fine. Throw them flat with a tailwind, and they will go. If you just want a new disc that is slower, try the Discraft Stratus. Put it on a little hyzer and throw it high. The disc will flip up and just ride the wind. They are only made in Elite-X and Pro-D and have tons of glide.

If its understable and glide you want, an Opto Vision works well. From my experience, it doesn't take a powerful throw to make this disc hold a line.

I find almost any driver to do well with tailwind but a light-ish valkyrie stands out more than others. (165-170)

^^ this is what I find as well. Maybe a katana if it's a light wind, but for moderate/heavy stuff, I break out the light champ valk. I love watching them dance around during a long S curve.

Latest posts