• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend me a putter

ladysmanfelpz

I work with a small bag that carries 12-14 discs. I have my drivers and fairways figured out, working on my mids, but am lost when it comes to putters.

So far I am working with a JK pro aviar 177 that is my putter putter. Been my go to guy and have had crazy days where I am good for everything inside 40'. I did notice quite a bit of slips when my hands were cold tho. And for my everything else putter I'm using a beat dx 173 rhyno. Thing is sick on drives and the low glide is a thing of beauty.

The thing is I would like to eliminate down to one mold. The aviar is great for putting, but I cannot drive that well with it. I've found I don't like tall putters after a terrible trial with the banger gt. This is exacerbated on drives with a tall putter and the big round lip of an aviar just does not feel good for me for 260'-320' drives. The rhyno is great for driving, but I can not hit a putt with it. I'm looking for something that is the perfect medium that I can carry multiple of; one fresh, medium, and very beat. Not too worried about the plastic and weight right now, just trying to find the mold.

Would something like the ringer work? Its semi flat, but looks like it has better glide than the rhyno. This should give me enough carry on those 120-150' low spin approaches, but can handle 250' hyzers and 330' downhill stable bombs. Also looks like it can putt well, comes in tacky plastic and can handle the wind. What does feldberg use? His putters are aviar like mold, but look much more stable with a fairly hard finish. This may get me what I am looking for with a more aviar type build. XT whales felt nice but again too tall. Super soft wizards and such aren't too much my thing. Hoping I can have this perfect medium with one that is beefy with hard finish, one more beat that is dead straight with soft-medium finish, and one very beat that is great up close and good for annies and other shapers.

Thanks guys.

You do not have an option sorry. There is no disc that covers everything and is grippy. The closest thing would be Vibram Ridge. It is surprisingly non grippy for rubber though. The lesser glide than the JK does not help in long putts. The Ridge beats the Ringer in putting by not deviating from the line hard and early. Which is the problem with the Rhyno too. When new that is. The dx bets in straighter still soon around rocks and fairly quickly around trees.

Feldy switched to Lat Dagger and boy that is tall.

The trouble with the Opto Pure is that it rivals the JK for glide and a lack of fade. Mine turn on hard drives others say they have examples that do not some say they have both. They do not handle winds in drives.

Edit two ideas base plastic Westside Harp would work out of the box and get to be a better putter when worn. Prodiscus base plastic Jokeri is a tremendous driving putter that breaks into a putter like you specced. Go Finland!

Try the Warlock. It's a "beadless Wizard" so it will have a shorter profile but in my opinion it doesn't lose much stability so it remains great on drives.

The Warlock is a great overall putter both drivable and puttable. But more glide than the Rhyno and way less fade than a new Rhyno. Almost no fade. They are tacky in some plastic blends.

C Roc is possibly not OS enough for him depending on how helikes his Rhyno meaning the stage of beating in straight or somewhat fading. Since his fades out in putting it cannot be chewed up totally so i would hazard a guess of his Rhyno being well more OS than Classics.

The Warlock does indeed come in grippy individuals but they don't last shit in a driving role and are too straight when new and wear to flipping. Soon in the case of soft plastics. So the shape matters little. In fact it grips surprisingly well for a disc that tall. FLips when new when sidearming even at moderate power though. Not terribly but still. So i do not think it will meet your requirements.

hard to beat a wizard. it is stable enough when new to handle wind and the torque of 300 ft. throws.

i have evo wizards that are quite overstable. the prodigy PA2 would also be a good choice. 400 series models are very overstable and the 300 series beats in nicely. It has a similar feel to a warlock.

IIRC the PA2 is beefier than the Warlock like the Jokeri bit the Harp is very similar to the Warlock in grip and size which is nice. My beefiest Wiz is a clear Evo and it is a far cry from the wind resistance and flip resistance of the Jokeri and the Harp. I have not thrown the PA2.

I work with a small bag that carries 12-14 discs. I have my drivers and fairways figured out, working on my mids, but am lost when it comes to putters.
<snip>
The thing is I would like to eliminate down to one mold. The aviar is great for putting, but I cannot drive that well with it.

I don't understand the question that's being posed. You say that you have drivers and fairway drivers figured out, and so-so on mid-ranges, but you're "lost" when it comes to putters.
Then you say that you want to "eliminate down to one mold." Meaning what? Carry exactly one model of disc in your bag, period? Are you looking for a putter mold that you can use for every purpose?
If you are not eliminating drivers and other discs from your bag, why are you worried about finding a putter with which you can crank out long drives? Find a putter that is a disc that you can use reliably for shots made in putting range ... right? :?