• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommendations for 2011 Christmas Secret Santa

I would like knowing who I am buying for, they just do not know who they are receiving discs from. I know that makes it less "secret", but last year because I was able to figure out who I had I was able to have a custom dye made for them that the once said they wanted on a disc.

If you do go secret both ways do not assign people to the next person who says I am in :)

I have been thinking about the issue with people who don't send. I think anyone who wants in should get in, but those with less than 5 itrader rating should have some stipulation. Such as you won't even give out his address until his counterpart receives his gift safely.

To get in on it you should have to post such in the thread.

It also seems much simpler when two people are paired together instead of completely randomizing it.

I think it makes sense to have a cutoff date for getting in (stragglers just make it go on forever and make it more obvious who you're paired with). Maybe open "registration" for a month or so which would give everyone a chance to get in, then once addresses are given out people will have to wait until the next one.

I kind of like PR's idea of knowing who you are sending to because that helps you send something appropriate. In the 1st iteration I had biscoe so I stepped my game up a little extra cause I knew he already had pretty much everything I had plus some. Maybe to keep it secret you could have people send in 3 stock priced dg related items they would enjoy to pass along with the addresses? People could run with it from there.

I'm still willing to help or run it this time around. And these are just ideas...

I agree with Prerube about knowing who you are sending to and not knowing who is going to be sending to us.

I still say we create a webpage where any db who doesn't send gets his name and addy posted, freedom of information is a powerful tool in fighting deception.

I also think anyone who joins must post in the thread that they are in and post when they receive so senders know their package arrived. Giving feedback may be an incentive for people to join and send as well.

I agree with the cutoff date too, if people are getting stuff mid January that ain't Christmas.

Unless they were involved in the previous ss. If they sent in July they'll send on Xmas.

Doesn't tell if people are trustworthy but making sure they have been a member for a set amount of time should prevent the drive bys.

I'll also volunteer, I do like the pairing idea. itrader really isn't that hard to come by, if you buy your SS swag and discs through here or feebay or can have someone vouch for you.. I'll help with some of the background stuff so it doesn't overload whoever is running it. Activity helps too, say a certain amount of posts, especially in the SS thread? I liked knowing who I sent to, but half the fun was tracking them down.

1. I will run it but would love help sending out addys.
2. I dont like pairs because if you send them one disc and they send you 5 you feel like crap
3. I was planning on opening it early next month and closing it on Thanksgiving
4. Pictures is a great idea, but some folks dont have a camera so posting it was recieved should at least work?

keep them coming

You could do levels for those wanting better prizes. Not sure how you did them in the past but you could have some people that are going to spend $20ish, some $30ish, etc...

I liked not knowing who I was sending to, kinda takes the pressure off of me. I sent gifts that I thought I would like to receive. If we know who we send to we might as well drop the secret and just call it Christmas! :p

1. I will run it but would love help sending out addys.
2. I dont like pairs because if you send them one disc and they send you 5 you feel like crap
3. I was planning on opening it early next month and closing it on Thanksgiving
4. Pictures is a great idea, but some folks dont have a camera so posting it was recieved should at least work?

keep them coming

Yeah, very good point.....:(....:eek:

I didnt send just one disc though. Let's just say my SS sent me something worth more than what I sent. It made me feel kinda crappy.

Last edited:
I'm not much for words but everything you need to know is here. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/572206/biggest-bgg-secret-santa-ever-are-you-in-yet

From the link

Official 2010 BGG Secret Santa Rules:

To particpate in the Secret Santa you must agree to the following rules:

1.) First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Every BGG member is welcome to join, but please do not join Secret Santa unless you are prepared to send your eventual target a gift. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts and don't respond to follow-up emails will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result, but honestly I'd prefer we not need to get to that point. If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority.

2.) You have until Midnight, Friday November 12th to sign up. If you have second thoughts, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration. Once the deadline passes, each person involved will be randomly assigned to another participant. When you get your target, check the BGG profile of this person and choose a game (or more) off of that person's wishlist and send it in time for it to arrive by the end of 2010.

3.) You must update your wishlist (NOT want list) of games. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you don't get something you want. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4.) This is an international Secret Santa. Everyone from all countries is welcome to join. Realize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor shipping into your gift. Alternatively, you have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you not to limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. While it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it - particularly if you can send something that is hard to get where they are from! Also, if you are from a country that has only a few participants then I also strongly suggest you not limit your country options or you very well may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. We offered the country matching option last year and we were happy to see that relatively few people chose to use it. The distinctly international flavor of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion! If you do get sent a target in another country, check out http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/451808 for a list of stores in different countries from last year's Secret Santa (I'll update with this year's thread once it is posted).

5.) You should buy at least one game for the person who you are giving a gift to, and the total value of the gift should be at least $50 USD (combined MSRP of game(s) purchased + shipping costs). This is roughly what it would cost to buy and ship a new copy of Ticket to Ride or Dominion from your FLGS. There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games! And you can make it truly special if you can personalize the gift somehow. Examples and ideas can be found in last year's geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48431. Some really nice stuff has been given out!

6.) Most importantly, have fun! This is supposed to be an enriching activity - not a stressful one. We had over 1500 people participate last year and it was the best Secret Santa yet. We're hoping to see this year's grow even larger!

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:.

Latest posts