• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recovery of Discs from Water

I use the golden only if I can see the disc or have a very good idea that it is close to shore. As far as these giant rakes go, please do not use them. They are so big they dig up underwater plants & kill the lake. Our local course the water is so brown these days the park had to pay a company to plant all new water plants to try and restore the nasty lake. They no longer allow anyone to use the big rake there.

Mask, snorkle & ear plugs work best around here.

Just march in and get it, it's water, stinky water sometimes but it's still just water. Your on the right track. Some discs you will find and some you will not. As for the wildlife, catch it and move it or eat it. I relocated 2 large Alligator Snapping Turtles a few years back after one snapped my heel while I was standing in a pond. I ran them into the shallows and grabbed them by the tail. Make sure you grab the right end.....

Just march in and get it, it's water, stinky water sometimes but it's still just water. Your on the right track. Some discs you will find and some you will not. As for the wildlife, catch it and move it or eat it. I relocated 2 large Alligator Snapping Turtles a few years back after one snapped my heel while I was standing in a pond. I ran them into the shallows and grabbed them by the tail. Make sure you grab the right end.....

Any advice for us pansies? ;)

Personally, it's just not worth it to me anymore. After catching some NASTY rashes from water and run-ins with not so friendly wildlife, I'll leave the ponds alone.

Like I said, throw some old DX or throw safe. It's been a looooong time since any of my discs that I care about have seen water. I'd rather add a stroke throwing safe than get welts all over my legs again. That ---- ITCHES!

Pansy out.

I usually just get in. But one approach I've taken is to throw a disc I don't care about. It's funny. When I throw a disc I don't care about and commit to my line, I usually make it over the water anyways.

Using a rake will do absolutely no damage in the ponds I'm talking about. There are no living things in the pond and no vegetation to damage raking the bottom. I swear all that's in them is deep black slime, biting insects and discs. If something was found in them I'd expect multiple heads or them to wear colored face masks and carry "ninja" weapons on their shells. That's how nasty the water is and why I don't get in.

I really should take the throw what I don't care about approach because it does seem to work.... When I do care I seem to just toss stuff right in. Anyway, we are going to rake the ponds so any of you Aurora DGer's that have tossed into this pond may be getting calls on found discs soon.

I carry a "water disc" to throw when there is water to carry. I went to Play It Again Sports and bought a bunch of used stuff for about $2 each. If I lose it I don't care...that helps me just go for it over water.

Diy disc retreiver

I made a disc retriever out of a steel shower basket, some swivels from my tackle box and some nylon cord. I just used my hacksaw and pliers to trim the basket and then attached the swivels to the line connections to prevent tangles. I will follow up and let you know how it does at the local water hazard. What I like about mine is it fits in my bag as a divider and only cost $2 at my local goodwill. Good luck on your build!

Attachments

• IMG_20150818_152817100.jpg
    IMG_20150818_152817100.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20150818_152610432.jpg
    IMG_20150818_152610432.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20150818_152628445.jpg
    IMG_20150818_152628445.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 89
I carry a "water disc" to throw when there is water to carry. I went to Play It Again Sports and bought a bunch of used stuff for about $2 each. If I lose it I don't care...that helps me just go for it over water.

Well said. I too have my water discs. And, no, that does not mean a disc that floats. Floating discs don't do you much good if you can't reach them. It just means you get to see it as it floats away from you.

You should try the Disc Gator. Basically, it works like a mouse trap. You open the Gator and set the metal piece so that it stays open. It will stay open until the disc pushes the metal piece back until the jaws of the Disc Gator close and the best thing about it is that it does no damage to any disc. You don't have to order the adjustable pole that screws into the Gator, as those can be found at your local hardware store. Plus, you can get them bigger than 5.5 feet. And it's not only good for water retrieval, it also gets your disc out of trees, deep bushes that maybe poisonous or have stickers. I've saved my discs that I've thrown errantly on at least a dozen or so occasions. Definitely worth the cost and just the Disc Gator is cheaper than a Golden Retriever.

time is money, so cheap dx plastic works for me!
besides, gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never sink it. ;)

I've been thinking about building a tool that allows you to see the bottom of a murky body of water. It would just be a (preferably clear) plastic pipe (3"-10" diameter) with a clear and solid bottom. You would hold the open end above the water and look through to the closed end, which you hold near the bottom. It's a reverse periscope.

You can't see through murk when it's thick and blocks all the light... But if you reduce the thickness to a few inches and allow light in, it should work. .maybe a flashlight would help too...

Last edited:
Dics :
$8 - $30 (stock plastic)

Doctors visit due to catching something from typical DG cesspool in my neck of the woods:
Ins. Co. Pay = $20 - $40*
Tetanus shot = $10 - $40*
Rash ointment = $20 - $45*
One round of Antibiotics = $5 - $30*
Time wasted both searching for disc and at doctors office $?
*Double or triple these figures if you don't have insurance.

I'll throw cheap and buy a new disc if I have to. :D

Unless I can see it or reach it with a stick, it stays in the water. Seriously, some of the creeks/lakes/etc.. around here are nothing more than unregulated sewers and I'm not gonna catch some parasite or bacterial infection over a $4 used DX disc.

I find all my water discs in the used bin at PIAS. You won't catch me throwing my custom-ordered Star Gazelles or one of my dyes over a lake, that's for sure!

I've been thinking about building a tool that allows you to see the bottom of a murky body of water. It would just be a (preferably clear) plastic pipe (3"-10" diameter) with a clear and solid bottom. You would hold the open end above the water and look through to the closed end, which you hold near the bottom. It's a reverse periscope.

You can't see through murk when it's thick and blocks all the light... But if you reduce the thickness to a few inches and allow light in, it should work. .maybe a flashlight would help too...

I haven't tried it but I've seen it with a flashlight. It must work because dude used to get a pile of discs stacked up on the bank of the creek.

It really depends on the specific body of water. Different methods might work great in one lake/pond but not another.

I recall the lake at Wakanda Park in Menomonie, WI being excessively nasty due to agricultural runoff. The weeds and muck in that lake would have made it really difficult to use a rake or Golden Retriever. It was also too murky to visually look for your disc; the best option was to feel around with your feet. I pulled out a lot of discs from that lake because as a young/stupid kid I was more willing than some folks to get into the cesspool.

I'm also one of those who bought a Golden Retriever and have used it about three times now. It's not perfect, but nothing is. It does a pretty good job of snagging the disc, though the angle it is at can be problematic. Usually after a few throws you can get the disc in a decent position to snag it.