• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refining my Bag (advice encouraged)

jsemales

Currently, I have a mixed bag of various manufacturers. I am not brand loyal to any company, although, because of availability, I do have a number of Innova discs. They are what has always been available for me to try, so they were always the first consideration when looking to expand my selection. I am looking to refine my bag, trim it down a bit, and become a more consistent player. I currently hold a rating of 866 (PDGA# 89097), and I have been playing mostly REC, but wanted to step up my game and push myself to better competition, so I have signed up for a few tournaments lately as an Intermediate player. I haven't had any wins yet, but I've been playing fairly well. I welcome any and all advice, but I wont have an ear for brand bashing. I know my bag is a mess, because I've just continued to bag discs I've had success in throwing, but if I'm going to improve I need to narrow it down and become more consistent with disc selection and shot shaping.

Here Goes.

Putters:
2x 175g RFF Wizard - Gateway - Putting
175g SB18 Wizard - Gateway - Approach & Tee Shots
175g Sure Grip Warspear - Gateway - OS Approach/Wind Putting
176g DX Aero - Innova - US Approach Shots

Midrange:
173g K2 Kaxe Z - Kastaplast - Straight Line Mid
175g K2 Kaxe - Kastaplast - Stable/Slightly OS Mid
175g Star Gator - Innova - OS Mid & FH Mid
176g Star Manta - Innova - US Mid
175g Elastic Walrus - Daredevil - Stable & Hazard Approach Shots for stopping dead
180g DX Viper - Innova - OS Mid

Fairway:
175g Star Teebird - Innova - Stable Fairway
175g Gold Maul - LAT64 - US Fairway
175g Gold Saint - LAT64 - Straight Line Fairway
173g Star Thunderbird - Innova - OS Fairway
175g Flex Mammoth - Daredevil - Stable Fairway
175g Star Firebird - Innova - OS Fairway & FH Fairway
175g Champion Sidewider - Innova - US Fairway

Control:
174g Star Orc - Innova - Stable Control Driver
175g Star Starfire - Innova - Stable Control Driver
175g Star Wraith - Innova - OS Control Driver
173g Champion Mystere - Innova - US Control Driver

Distance:
175g Star Tern - Innova - US Distance Driver
175g Star Destroyer - Innova - Stable to OS Distance Driver & FH Driver
175g Star Shryke - Innova - US Distance Driver & S-Shots
174g Fuzion Sheriff - Dynamic Discs - Straight Line Distance Driver
174g Champion Daedalus - Innova - US Distance Driver
175g Opto Stiletto - LAT64 - OS Distance/FH Distance/Utility Disc

How far do you throw? Back hand, forehand?
Mids, fairways and distance?

Without that info, all your going to get is a bunch of fan boy recommendations.

Working from what you have:

Tern, Shryke, Sherriff and Daedalus are roughly the same disc. Drop them all but one.

Ditch all of your "control" discs

Tb/Fb/Sw are enough fairways

Gator and get another mid that can fly a variety of lines: Buzz Roc Truth Comet or many others will work.

2 Wizards 1 being OS.

Try that bag and I'll bet a dollar and a quarter you won't drop any strokes.

Take notes, which discs you throw how many times, then take the five to ten least used discs out, for a start. Then repeat this procedure and again take the least used discs out (not again as many, but maybe two or three). Do this as long as you want. (Utility and out-of-trouble discs might be necessary despite few use.) If you discover that you start to lack specific shots, put the appropriate disc back into the bag.

Or start anew with an empty bag and add five discs, then go disc golf. After several rounds, and when you're sure you lack a shot, add one more disc. Repeat this slowly.

Read https://mindbodydisc.com/disc-golf-bag-addition-subtraction/ and the related posts!

Working from what you have:

Tern, Shryke, Sherriff and Daedalus are roughly the same disc. Drop them all but one.

Ditch all of your "control" discs

Tb/Fb/Sw are enough fairways

Gator and get another mid that can fly a variety of lines: Buzz Roc Truth Comet or many others will work.

2 Wizards 1 being OS.

Try that bag and I'll bet a dollar and a quarter you won't drop any strokes.

I'm seconding this. That's a crowded bag.

How far do you throw? Back hand, forehand?
Mids, fairways and distance?

Without that info, all your going to get is a bunch of fan boy recommendations.

I suppose I probably should've included this in the initial post.

Distance:
BH - 360-400 (can mash for 450+ but not with consistency)
FH - ~350

Fairway:
BH - 325-375
FH - ~300

Mid:
BH - 275-325
FH - ~250-275

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna be taking this with me through league and keeping track of what discs get used less than others. I've already dropped the Daedalus and Viper. I'll be keeping track of what discs get used and at what frequency. The Walrus is gonna become a course dependent disc, because it will never skip or bounce or roll away, it's great for hazardous approach shots.

dump your bag at a football field, throw goal post to goal post. aim for one of the uprights.

see which ones give you the best desired flight in an open field. then, imagine having to carve through trees. throwing them on different lines while still maintaining accuracy. that is the best way to trim your control and distance drivers.

that is how I figured out what discs work for me. (that kinda happened when I got a tesla, a mold which i swore off)

how many shots can I make with a few molds.

this spring and summer i have new plastic to run the gauntlet with to see if it will make my mainstays stay or get traded.

good luck.

What kind of courses do you typically play? If wooded, I'd lean on putters, mids and FW drivers. If open, I'd bulk up on drivers. No sense learning discs if you're playing courses where they'll rarely come out of the bag.

You're mostly FH? Do you backhand your putters and mids any? You could probably find mids and putters that would suit a FH game better than what you've got. Your mids are alright but you don't really have a traditional workhorse mold in there, a lot of niche fillers. The Kaxes are probably your most workable but they're like mid/driver hybrids. That's probably good if you're really FH dominant. If you're throwing fast mids though you could probably drop a lot of your FW drivers and basically use the control drivers as your FWs.

Latest posts