• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Replacing an Aviar P&A

DocAwk

I'm looking to replace my Aviar P&A. Here's my problem, I want an Aviar P&A, just...softer. Something that feels more rubbery and grippy. I have a DX Aviar, and I love its flight, it is nearly zero-stable, beadless, and I can carve up any number of approach shots.

I've been checking out the SSS Wizards and Warlocks. Do the Wizards have a bead? Too-stable for what I'm looking for? How about the Warlocks? In the photos, the SSS's look to be the grippiness and softness that I'm looking for, would I be wrong to assume that?

londonletmedown said:
Do the Wizards have a bead? Too-stable for what I'm looking for?
Yes and yes.

londonletmedown said:
How about the Warlocks?
Still too stable. If you like the 'near zero' stability of an Aviar, what you're after is a Magic.

sleepy

It's called Millennium Supersoft Omega. That's the closest thing to an Aviar out there. (In fact it IS an Aviar, the old small bead mold.)

Wizards do have a bead, Warlocks don't. Warlocks are still pretty stable though, especially new. You might want to look into the Magic as well, it's beadless and the least stable of the Gateway putter lineup. As to softness, it varies, a lot. The SSS discs I've felt are similar to a JK Aviar in feel.

If it's really a soft disc you're looking for, have you checked out the Omega SS? Its an Aviar mold and definitely a softy.

try looking for a full color/"ching" aviar on Ebay, the plastic they usually use for these is MUCH softer than regular dx and is closer to soft pro (like a rhyno)

Omega SS for sure, Its pretty much exactly what you describe wanting - i.e. a softer version of an Aviar. It behaves much more like an Aviar than the Magic IMO, much more neutral-stable and dead-nuts straight.

I used one last winter, great putter IMO

londonletmedown said:
I'm looking to replace my Aviar P&A. Here's my problem, I want an Aviar P&A, just...softer. Something that feels more rubbery and grippy. I have a DX Aviar, and I love its flight, it is nearly zero-stable, beadless, and I can carve up any number of approach shots.

I've been checking out the SSS Wizards and Warlocks. Do the Wizards have a bead? Too-stable for what I'm looking for? How about the Warlocks? In the photos, the SSS's look to be the grippiness and softness that I'm looking for, would I be wrong to assume that?

Definitley the Omega SS, as pointed out already it is a supersoft small bead Aviar. And by small bead I mean its barely if at all noticeable, actually I didnt even notice it had a bead until someone pointed it out to me. Its very straight flying, not overstable at all.

Or if you want something different , other discs you may like would be the Soft Magnet or Soft APX..or an APX Swirl if you can find one.

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread it's that DGC's ratings can't be trusted at all. It rates a Warlock just like an Aviar, and an Omega SS as -2 HSS, +2 LSS.

Ridiculous.

The Omega SS looks radical. I'll pick one up, thanks guys.

You could also check out a Magnet or an APX (depending on whether you prefer a bead or no bead). Both will be very straight and both are similar in shape to the Aviar P&A. Both also come in Soft-X plastic.

you'd really enjoy Dismania's P1 putter. basically a PnA, but in a softer DX type plastic. another option is to try the millenium SS putter which is a little bit (just a hair) more stable than the PnA, because it is the same mold as the Classic Aviar. i can attest to the stability and plastic in these two discs because i've thrown them quite a bit.

those who also posted about the magic would be correct as well, although i've yet to have any seat time with the disc myself.

Another vote for the Omega SS. A couple friends of mine each bought them as their first putters, they are Aviars, only softer. Although, a bit too soft for my taste, might just be perfect in the winter.

I started with a glo aviar, lost it and wanted something similar in feel. The SSS warlock was damn near the same thing so thats what I have been using for the last year and it hasnt failed me yet.

When the DX Aviars get beat they turn softer and more tacky. It takes several years of constant use to get them there though. I also have ran into a few runs of DX Aviars that came flexy/tacky right out of the box. Most that I have seen were red/pink/orange runs from around 2006/2007 with custom stamps. They feel amazing. I have a few.

Wait, nevermind guys, I'm going to skip ordering the Omega SS.

I'll just track down a 12 year old, yellow, DX Aviar with a custom stamp, instead.

That's easier. :roll:

just stay away from the star aviars.. i don't find anything in Star to be a replacement for DX or putter DX plastic...

and the star Aviar Driver is just horrible.. feels like throwing a heavy lid with no glide.

omega SS for sure if you want to stick with aviars.

londonletmedown said:

Get a Glow aviar. Much softer and grippier than the dx. Then you won't have to learn a new disc.

JK Pro Aviar have a very nice feel. A bit more overstable than a regular Aviar Putter. A very nice disc that is worth checking out.

Gateway Magic soft is dead on straight and nice plastic.

That's my 2 cents :)

Latest posts