• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Still sorting out some PC issues but I'll be hitting up the course with one of these for a video soon!

Attachments

• tmp_12305-IMAG11911359516072.jpg
    tmp_12305-IMAG11911359516072.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 120
So wait, did you guys scale the outer edge or not?

We did not. We decided that the scale pattern would be too polarizing for a first mold. This disc is everything we wanted it to be. To deviate now would likely cause folks to be divided on it. But if we do get big enough, we will build a textured top so we can have one if each variety.

Mike: how do you like the a Fossil plastic?!

So wait, did you guys scale the outer edge or not?
Your not the only one confused on this, it sounds like this one has no scales, but they may release a scaled version later on. So will we have smooth scale and rough scale? Sorry, that was supposed to be witty, but it's been a long day :doh:

Still sorting out some PC issues but I'll be hitting up the course with one of these for a video soon!
Nice pic, it shows off the contour very well. I found it kind of hard to see in the "official" pic in the first post.

We nixed the Scale idea. There are no scales on the mold. Conventional surface complexion.
The thumb contour is the ideal depth for most players. Not too deep. Not too shallow. Just right ;)

We nixed the Scale idea. There are no scales on the mold. Conventional surface complexion.
The thumb contour is the ideal depth for most players. Not too deep. Not too shallow. Just right ;)

it is just right. you know its there but isnt distracting. i dig the thumb contour for sure

Got some throws in with the Scale.

Plastic - usual Gateway awesomeness

Feel - I really like the feel in hand. Very smooth and comfortable. The thumb contour is too close to the rim for how I grip a putter so I don't use it. It's not in the way or changes my release so it's a non-issue for me. It has a unique feel and is honestly one of the best feeling putters out there.

Inside the circle - It will dump at the end of its flight but that helps in the circle because I could really run at the basket without fear of blowing by for a three putt. It held a nice smooth flight. I liked it inside the circle.

Outside the circle - in the 40-50' range I found it easy to run at the basket a little high right and let it hyzer in. Like hitting the sweet spot for a strike in bowling. We haven't had crazy wind since I got the Scale but the little wind we had didn't affect the flight much. Once I got to the 80+ foot range the lack of glide and overstability made it tough to gauge where I needed to be. I wouldn't trust this range with a freshie. Definitely need to beat one up and get more practice to feel comfortable out there.

Drive & approach - easy to crush on a smooth flight path. It didn't turn over on me. Just a straight flight with a hard fade. It does really die and dump when it looses steam which made it easy to gauge where I needed it to drop. I need more drives with it to really get a feel for what it can do but I enjoyed approach shots with the Scale. It felt Rhyno like in how there wasn't much action at the end. Didn't skip or roll, just stayed put.

Overall it's a different beast from other similar putters. It has its own niche. Anyone could bag it but especially if your a Wizard thrower it feels like the perfect overstable compliment. I don't think anyone that tries it will dislike how it feels or throws. I look forward to more practice time with the Scale and to see what a beat one can do. Great disc and good job RDG!

Last edited:
Wow, I am late to the party on this one!

I've been throwing wizards since the first runs, and have always searched for something comparable that would be overstable with low glide and a similar feel. Something for those tricky upshots on windy days, when you need it to hit and stick. A few different molds fit the bill, but I've never been happy with anything that felt really different from my Wizards. This should be perfect!

I liked the Facebook page and read through this thread, but I'm still not clear on when these will likely be available. I'm super interested in a Fossil Scale and I'm obviously way too late to try out any protos.

We are inching closer to the mass release. We are currently leaning towards operating with a more wholesale mindset. Trying to get the disc into the bigger distributors would likely rapidly get the disc into people's bags.

Congrats on the first mold it sounds and looks great. If you are interested in testers once you reach that point I would be interested.

im going to retract my statement of 2 2 0 3 and say its 2 1 0 3

it really does not float like my aviars at all. however im still digging it a ton. predictable drop for my hyzer putts when that shot is needed. great approaches. very predictable. im loving it more and more i throw it. im glad i kept it in my bag.

im wishing for heavy winds soon just so i can see how it holds up on windy days

We did not. We decided that the scale pattern would be too polarizing for a first mold. This disc is everything we wanted it to be. To deviate now would likely cause folks to be divided on it. But if we do get big enough, we will build a textured top so we can have one if each variety.

Mike: how do you like the a Fossil plastic?!

It feels very nice. Its stiffer than I personally want.in a putting putter, but I think it feels great in a driving grip. The texture is nice, solid grip without being so tacky it wants to stick my to hand. I think it will offer a good combination of grip and consistency. Excited to throw it this week.

im going to retract my statement of 2 2 0 3 and say its 2 1 0 3

it really does not float like my aviars at all. however im still digging it a ton. predictable drop for my hyzer putts when that shot is needed. great approaches. very predictable. im loving it more and more i throw it. im glad i kept it in my bag.

im wishing for heavy winds soon just so i can see how it holds up on windy days

This is becoming the calling card for the Scale. It's a projectile like flight. You won't win any distance competitions with it but I'd bet you can place a shot in a small circle more consistently than someone using a glidier putter. The Scale is going to be an attractive option for people who rely heavily on their OS PnA for woods and placement shots.

This is becoming the calling card for the Scale. It's a projectile like flight. You won't win any distance competitions with it but I'd bet you can place a shot in a small circle more consistently than someone using a glidier putter. The Scale is going to be an attractive option for people who rely heavily on their OS PnA for woods and placement shots.

absolutely. you said what ive been trying to formulate into words all along.

We are inching closer to the mass release. We are currently leaning towards operating with a more wholesale mindset. Trying to get the disc into the bigger distributors would likely rapidly get the disc into people's bags.

I keep checking this thread and waiting.:thmbup: seriously, the more posted the better they're sounding.

I keep checking this thread and waiting.:thmbup: seriously, the more posted the better they're sounding.

This so much... Hahaha. I have tried 3 different Rhynos and only one was a straight to OS fade disc... The Asia Open one I own is like a Comet in that if I throw it flat, it will finish fairly flat/ straight ahead. The good one is good, and has a great skip if you want it, but is also a late run zipper top so I'm sure I will never find an exact replacement. My OS putter slot is essentially going to be the Scale or the VIP Harp when they are put into production.

This so much... Hahaha. I have tried 3 different Rhynos and only one was a straight to OS fade disc... The Asia Open one I own is like a Comet in that if I throw it flat, it will finish fairly flat/ straight ahead. The good one is good, and has a great skip if you want it, but is also a late run zipper top so I'm sure I will never find an exact replacement. My OS putter slot is essentially going to be the Scale or the VIP Harp when they are put into production.

Wow. That's it's almost surreal to see that someone is that excited for our disc.
I'm confident that the Scale won't let you down. I've thrown one from every proto run and they're all 0 turn/hard fade machines. That is going to be the major plus about bagging Scales.

Latest posts