• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

I've been thinking about grabbing an Armor scale but had heard they came out a little less OS? Plus, the Tar Pit is nice and the Fossil feels amazing!

I have to ask... Any news on the new mold? I'm salivating over the thought of a more stable/modded warrior in Fossil!

I don't know where you hear the Armors not being overstable. I have three and they all match up to my Fossils and Tar Pit, even the domey Armors.

Got my Fossil Scale in on Wednesday and it's already made my bag and kicked out my Gator. I'm pretty resistant to changing anything in my bag, all my discs are old molds, but the Scale is exactly the overstable drive and approach disc I was looking for.

I can put everything into a flat, straight drive and it'll start a gentle lateral high speed fade pretty soon down the fairway and finish with some strong LSS. If I give it some hyzer and some height I can replicate a flat Monster shot, but without the skip. Perfect stability for flicking approach shots and short drives, it holds a straight line and finishes with a strong hyzer on a clean forehand, and doesn't blow by the basket like my Gator will with the slightest mistake, and it can handle a flex shot without turning and burning. Less wobble than with my KC Aviars, but that's probably the disc compensating for my poor forehand form.

I love the feel in the hand, like a beefy Wizard or KC Aviar, but easy to grip thanks to the thumb track. Love how flat it is. Feels much better than a Ridge to me, I never could get comfortable with the Ridge. And I'm surprised how far it flies, it's got more float than something like the Ridge. I threw it 300' on a pure hyzer drive today with some height, threw it 280' on a low, flat liner...that's probably within 20' of my KC Aviar distance. I even putted with it and it felt great.

At the very least I'll be using the Scale as my overstable drive and approach. I could see it breaking in to the point where it completely replaces my KC Aviars for straight shots, turnovers, and putting duties as well. Maybe I should look into one of the other plastics for a less stable version out of the box. I'd love an Armor Scale that I can trust to last for a long time in that overstable spot.

My domey proto Armor scale is twice as overstable as my Fossil or Tar Pit scales. It will take a lot of abuse before it flies the same as my Fossil.

I'm carrying both the Scale and a Champion Gator, the Gator goes further for me with more skip, and I can FH it much more cleanly.

Got my Fossil Scale in on Wednesday and it's already made my bag and kicked out my Gator. I'm pretty resistant to changing anything in my bag, all my discs are old molds, but the Scale is exactly the overstable drive and approach disc I was looking for.

I can put everything into a flat, straight drive and it'll start a gentle lateral high speed fade pretty soon down the fairway and finish with some strong LSS. If I give it some hyzer and some height I can replicate a flat Monster shot, but without the skip. Perfect stability for flicking approach shots and short drives, it holds a straight line and finishes with a strong hyzer on a clean forehand, and doesn't blow by the basket like my Gator will with the slightest mistake, and it can handle a flex shot without turning and burning. Less wobble than with my KC Aviars, but that's probably the disc compensating for my poor forehand form.

I love the feel in the hand, like a beefy Wizard or KC Aviar, but easy to grip thanks to the thumb track. Love how flat it is. Feels much better than a Ridge to me, I never could get comfortable with the Ridge. And I'm surprised how far it flies, it's got more float than something like the Ridge. I threw it 300' on a pure hyzer drive today with some height, threw it 280' on a low, flat liner...that's probably within 20' of my KC Aviar distance. I even putted with it and it felt great.

At the very least I'll be using the Scale as my overstable drive and approach. I could see it breaking in to the point where it completely replaces my KC Aviars for straight shots, turnovers, and putting duties as well. Maybe I should look into one of the other plastics for a less stable version out of the box. I'd love an Armor Scale that I can trust to last for a long time in that overstable spot.

If you're looking for a 'less stable' 'straighter' Scale.....check out the SERPENT....same thing, no bead, straighter flight.:thmbup:

I don't know where you hear the Armors not being overstable. I have three and they all match up to my Fossils and Tar Pit, even the domey Armors.

Huh, thought I read that the domey Armors were less OS (still OS though). Must have misread.

Still, probably going to stick with my Fossil/Tarpit combo for awhile.

Got my Scale earlier this week and used it the last two days at lunch making up a whole round. It was windy as hell and it was great. The only time it didn't go where I wanted was user error ;). It is nice being able to throw a putter in the wind and know it is going where I want it to go. Will certainly recommend this putter to anyone looking for an OS putter. My buddy gave me crap for not letting him know about the giveaway jcassidy did the other day. Thanks jcassidy for the Scale I think it will be staying in my bag right beside my Envy!

L
Huh, thought I read that the domey Armors were less OS (still OS though). Must have misread.

Still, probably going to stick with my Fossil/Tarpit combo for awhile.

I feel you there. I actually really like the feel of Armor, especially in my weird two-finger sidearm grip. But the Fossil blend is so nice. Tar Pit is great too, and tends to stick really well, especially on the hard pack of my local short course. It took me until last week to actually get a chunk out of my original Fossil Scale, so its pretty durable too.

I think the Armor will be mostly for my winter bag.

Loving the new Scale fans!

I know that most folks have their PnA selection filled with their favorite molds and Classic offerings but I challenge ANY fan of OS approach discs to give one a whirl. The Scale flies remarkably consistent across the whole spectrum of plastics and will provide dependable lines off the tee.

I know slow, OS putters might be boring but I have yet to see one negative review for the Scale and I want YOU to be the next person to join that list :D

You put out a darn good disc, would love to see something with a similar top that is just as OS in a speed 4-5, like a beautiful fossil plastic Harpish thing.

I know everyone is really excited about the goldblum stamp bit are you still planning on pressing some with the "finely crafted" stamp? That one rules too and I'm about ready to get me some more scales (and serps for that matter)

just got out in a windy tournament. I had 2 other card-mates throwing scales. It came out a lot in these winds 37mph gusts. Great putter.

Loving the new Scale fans!

I know that most folks have their PnA selection filled with their favorite molds and Classic offerings but I challenge ANY fan of OS approach discs to give one a whirl. The Scale flies remarkably consistent across the whole spectrum of plastics and will provide dependable lines off the tee.

I know slow, OS putters might be boring but I have yet to see one negative review for the Scale and I want YOU to be the next person to join that list :D

After a few weeks of throwing the Scale decided to try a long jump putt around a fat tree by switching back to my previous OS "putter" option G* Gator and promptly launched it 30' past the basket. My comment? "Shoulda just stuck with the Scale."

You put out a darn good disc, would love to see something with a similar top that is just as OS in a speed 4-5, like a beautiful fossil plastic Harpish thing.

Yes. The harp is the reason I have not tried a scale yet. I do not need anything slower than a harp for that overstable slot. Can the Scale go as far as the harp?

Latest posts