• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

retarded putting ability after years of practice

That's looks like Valarie Jenkins, the #2 ranked woman in the world.

Hey, do you think she made that putt or not? Looks to me like it might miss left...

You have to look at the angle. She is also left of the basket in the picture. I am sure it went in.

From personal experience, and this is from no more than four months playing, so not really that much experience. I play about four times a week and when I started I putted with an Aviar disc. I never liked the feel and not long I started trying different discs in my bag. The one I settled on was my star xcalibur. I know its not a putter, and probably the worse use for it, but I've been able to sink a huge amount more puts with that disc than with a putter. The disc just sits better in my hand with its wide rim for a more controlled throw. I'm sure over time I'll start using a real putter, but for now that xcalibur sure does the trick. So if you have great control over the drivers and mid-range, my suggestion would be to try putting with them and see if you can sink some great puts and build that confidence back up.

Last edited:
I have tried several different types of putters, and I keep coming back to this red soft Magnet that I bought. I made hundred of putts to make sure I got the one I like.

...red soft Magnet...

Does the color make a difference? ;-)

It all comes down to confidence and what feels good in the hand - and constructive practice. I went from a Birdie to many different Aviars, then found my holy grail - Discraft Pro-D Banger-GT. I also use these as my primary upshot discs and many holes that are <250 ft. I also carry a Soft Banger-GT. I don't use my putter for anything other than putting. The upshot Banger is an old putter.

Just wondering if Ken C. or other Top pros using exact same old putters during their tours? Or they just throwing many new putters each year?

I have one old stiff Aviar Putt & Approach (1991) that seems to be working well with me over the years. Is it worth keeping or should I move on to get new ones? Not sure how long should I keep using that old putter until it falls apart? It will mess up my style a bit.

Has anyone that still using old putters for long time like over 10 years on the courses?

:confused:

Has anyone that still using old putters for long time like over 10 years on the courses?

:confused:

Until recently I used an an Aviar that I got in the early 90's to putt. I recently changed my putting style because I was getting tendonitis from putting. I had a very hard snapping putt. Now I do something diffferent and a heavier, smaller putter is better for the new style. I use a Classic Roc for anything inside 35 ft or so because it doesn't glide. It just goes through the air like a rock (pun intended). Outside that I'm chosing between a few discs because I haven't figured out a go to style again. I don't want to go back to the old putt (that was pretty accurate from 50-60 ft in) because it ends up hurting my arm if I play a lot.

You will rarely see 2 identical putting styles on the course. I used to be a money putter but I've started over a little bit with the new putt. But inside 30 my new putt is pretty good. I'll tell you about it and you can give it a try if you want.

Firstly... the entire reason I putt like I do now is to try to take 2 of the 4 ways to miss a putt out of the equasion. You can miss reft, right, high or low. I figured if I can take left and right out of the equasion the I would be much better off. So my new putting style is like kind of like painting. I remind myself to "paint the pole". That just means that the arm movement prior to the release of the disc is straight up the pole. It's kind of like the motion if lobbing a softball in to a basket but you put some spin on the disc. From relatively short distances this should take missing left and right out of the equasion. If I miss high or low my thought is that I can adjust for those 2 things. It's easier to adjust for 2 things that it is to adjust for 4.

Here's how I set up. I'm right handed so.... Right foot forward, left foot back. The stance is slightly agressive but not too much. The right foot is pointing at the basket. Left is usually in a comfortable position, not facing the basket. Chest is facing directly at the basket. In my opinion, when using this style the disc will have a tendancy to go the direction the chest is facing. Knees slightly bent. Disc in right hand. I use a couple fingers on my left hand to stabalize the disc. My right arm is is almost locked out straight. I have found that if I start using a bent arm I usually miss left.

Preshot routine is a couple movements like you're painting the pole of the basket from top to bottom and then back up. The entire goal is to either make the shot (obviously) but if I miss it should just be high or low. My shot starts with the arms out in front of me. I hold the disc in my hand with a slight bit of hyzer angle because it's comfortable. I paint the pole on the down stroke and then again on the way back up. Since it's a disc I flick my wrist a little bit to make it spin but not a lot. If you don't it will just be a "screwball". At short distances the classic Roc does not want to fly off to the left with the hyzer angle because of the smaller flight plate and the heavier weight. That's a good thing. From the short distance I don't want a lot of glide. I just want to loft it in to the chains. During the shot I also sway forward, pushing off slightly with my left leg.

This style has helped me a lot from 35 ft and in. Outside of that the disc "flys" so it's not as accurate. I've been working on ways to adjust the style for longer distanced but have not been able to do so with consistant results. My definition of consistant is only missing high or low. Nothing left or right.

Hopefully that will help someone out there.

Last edited:
shorten your style. make it a quick weight transfer and a snap, slower methods are inconsistent and take distance off of your putting range

Latest posts