• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

review beef

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Why is it that several people always seem to state "the course is designed with no regards to how discs fly"

If all holes were made to flow how discs fly wouldn't you ace them or hit the damn green every time?

Also can't you make it fly different with different throws?

Also...it seems if it is not designed "with no regards to flight characteristics" then "every shot is the same"

Hopefully someone can make sense of these statements to me.

Thanks!!

Why? Because those are the only shots they have, is my guess.

Or, they don't like to work too hard?

Not sure, frankly. Seems kinda... skeerdy cat.

Fairways are not ALL supposed to be "how discs fly"
C'mon people. Learn to throw around stuff. Jeez Louise.

:^p

I have seen many fairways that were basically crazy shots. Those are my favorite!

innova nailed it.

what they're really saying is ''I dont know how to throw the thumber/tommy/roller that would get me around all these obstacles, so i'm going to bitch about it like it's someone elses fault.''

''I dont know how to throw the thumber/tommy/roller that would get me around all these obstacles, so i'm going to bitch about it like it's someone elses fault.''

Exactamundo.

Entitlement minded. What have ya'll done for me lately mentality.

Ask not what can be done to make things easier, but what you can do to be BETTER.
Birdy or die on repetitive fairways is not what makes a Climo, imho!!

I agree completely, you need to be able to throw left turning, right turning, short, long, straight - whatever the fairway calls for. This to me is the mark of a good course, not a fault. Generally when I see this type of comment on reviews, I mark them as not helpful.

I may get mad at a course designer, but it's always because of my deficits rather than their lack of planning for my shot.

There is a hole in Mobile, AL at Cottage Hill that is the shape of a backwards 7 thru the woods
(tee at the bottom)

and it ends up with a more open area with a slightly elevated tee with a roll happy surface.

Gotta love it. Two precise, tough to nail layups and a perfect putt.

Baseball is more than just home runs. You have to throw, catch, run and sometimes get really dirty.

Just to play devil's advocate I do seem to run into holes from time to time that just felt like they just placed the basket down in the middle of the woods, especially newer courses. I'm at least aware of all disc golf shots regardless of how well I can throw them. Hole 6 aka the skinny http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=904 is a prime example of this. I couldn't even throw a thumber through that fairway I throw a decent thumber. Great course though, highly recommend it.

...you need to be able to throw left turning, right turning, short, long, straight - whatever the fairway calls for. This to me is the mark of a good course, not a fault.

Right on Geoffro!

I have seen these types of comments a couple of times. I have always just assumed that I have not developed the shots necessary to master those fairways yet. I've got a decent FH and BH just need to put some work in on my tomahawk and thumbers.

I cannot count the times I have saved par from the deep woods shule by using a tomahawk or a low speed forehand roller where a conventional throw (fore or back hand) would have SURELY been a bogue.

I agree. You have to be inventive on the course and have the ability to turn your disc.

The only time I would make a statment of this type in a review is if the baskets were dropped out in the open with a blatant disregard for taking advantage of course obstacles (TREES). Open courses are really the only type I can see ever falling into a category like this.

It's the difference between good courses and great courses! Great courses make you actually plan/think about your shot selection - whether or not you lay up or thumber over the trees to drop it on the basket - whether or not you go for the 100 run at the basket for 2 OR play safe for an easy 3. If your shot selection relies solely on the flight characterstics of some published chart - U R NOT PLAYING THE GAME TO ITS FULLEST :D

Why? Because those are the only shots they have, is my guess.

Or, they don't like to work too hard?

Not sure, frankly. Seems kinda... skeerdy cat.

Fairways are not ALL supposed to be "how discs fly"
C'mon people. Learn to throw around stuff. Jeez Louise.

:^p

I have seen many fairways that were basically crazy shots. Those are my favorite!

yezzum

BrotherDave played devil's advocate.....so will this Dave. Addressing those who think woods holes that do no accomodate the natural flight path are good holes:

Are all woods holes good holes?
What makes bad woods holes?
If a hole rewards luck and not skill, is it a good hole? (not just 1 per course, but 5-6 of them per)
Do you think that expert players who have developed consistency with a multitude of shot types would agree with you?

BrotherDave played devil's advocate.....so will this Dave. Addressing those who think woods holes that do no accomodate the natural flight path are good holes:

Are all woods holes good holes?
What makes bad woods holes?
If a hole rewards luck and not skill, is it a good hole? (not just 1 per course, but 5-6 of them per)
Do you think that expert players who have developed consistency with a multitude of shot types would agree with you?

Not all wood holes are good holes! I would even say that BrotherDave's example is proof of this. I love technical courses, but if the average to good player's percentage of getting a decent throw out without hitting 5 trees is so low then the hole is pretty bad IMO.

Wooded holes should be playable without significant tree interference when you get off a great throw. ie - straight off in the direction of your release with minimal fade. If the pinball affect is set to trees every 4' apart then you are solely relying on luck!!! I don't care how good you are :D I think luck is great, but a hole should never rely on luck being how par is acheived!

I think a hole can reward luck for a beginner or average player, but that upper tier players should never be relying on luck on a course. That's just my opinion.

I have no idea what an expert would say! It would be nice if one would chime in.

I have played several good and bad woods holes...I would call ERP good woods holes as well as Newport News Park.

Bad woods holes would be where you have to seemingly throw at least 80% of a good shot to not ping pong. I would like to see that 50/50 or 60/40 or so...

Some places seem that if you do not throw within a very narrow band near perfect you will hit something.

I understand your points but personally I'm not the type to blame the hole.
I blame my throwing hand for not executing an accurate shot.

Throw more accurately if the hole has a narrow fairway.
Just my take on the matter.

Just to play devil's advocate I do seem to run into holes from time to time that just felt like they just placed the basket down in the middle of the woods, especially newer courses. I'm at least aware of all disc golf shots regardless of how well I can throw them. Hole 6 aka the skinny http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=904 is a prime example of this. I couldn't even throw a thumber through that fairway I throw a decent thumber. Great course though, highly recommend it.

i agree on this point; there are some holes that designers just plunked into the middle of the woods with no realistic way through in the name of 'making a challenge', but the majority of what is bitched about in reviews is not such holes.

I understand your points but personally I'm not the type to blame the hole.
I blame my throwing hand for not executing an accurate shot.

Throw more accurately if the hole has a narrow fairway.
Just my take on the matter.

You look at everything like everyone is a pro. If every course is designed for people that have 6 different kind of shots then there will be no new people to the sport. They will give up because it is ridiculously hard for them.

If you want every course this way, fine, have a tee with a forest in front of it and a somewhat reasonable fairway off a normal tee.

I am not asking for 60' wide fields on every hole...but 3-8' feet is a little much.

Like I said before...if I hit a tree I take my lumps but if I took my father to a course like this as his first experience there is no way in hell he would come out with me again.

The miniature golf aspect of our sport just minimizes it IMO.

The miniature golf aspect of our sport just minimizes it IMO.

Hey now!! I like the idea of getting a free corndog if I can spike hyzer it into the clown's mouth for the ace :D In fact, I may go to a putt-putt course tomorrow and try this out. Free corndog!!

Latest posts