• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

review beef

To the original post, I've not actually seen a review say that a hole was designed without regard to the way discs fly. Nor have I seen a hole that could only be played with a roller (not flying) or a thumber/tomahawk (flying, sort of, but not the way they were designed). Some can best be played with those throws, but none that can't be played with normal flight.

As to luck, my feeling is that it should not be the primary factor on a hole. A gap that's so small, at a particular distance, that the players for whom the hole was designed cannot hit it with a well-executed throw more than, say, half the time, is a poor hole.

When you stand on the tee on a good hole you should have considerable doubt as to what your score will be---but that doubt should be based primarily on your execution, with luck only a contributing factor.

Thank you.

I'm like Innova, I enjoy the tough technical holes that make you think about shot selection, other than grip it and rip it. I can see the other side of the fence thinking as well, in that I have a 5 yr. old son that I'm introducing in to the sport, and if you have a very tough hole, than it is daunting for him. My suggestion....if you know a course is tough, don't take a beginner. If there is just 1-2 holes that are really tough, and the rest of the course is easier, than either skip the hole, make up a "short" teepad for it, or just warn the player and let them decide.

If a course is too tough for your taste, then don't play it. It doesn't make it a bad course.

i dont have much to say except(lol), quit bitching( you know who you are) and learn to throw different shots..hole is too tight? go over it ..throw one of many rollers..not having confidence in your shot usually results in a bad shot..if disc golf was all about throwing one shot all the time it would get quite boring..the more shots you learn the better you will get outta trouble and play those "difficult" holes wiser, hence lowering your score..

i dont have much to say except(lol), quit bitching( you know who you are) and learn to throw different shots..hole is too tight? go over it ..throw one of many rollers..not having confidence in your shot usually results in a bad shot..if disc golf was all about throwing one shot all the time it would get quite boring..the more shots you learn the better you will get outta trouble and play those "difficult" holes wiser, hence lowering your score..

If that was directed at me fine sir, I must remind you, I was merely playing devil's advocate. But yeah, I agree with you, I would never rate a course low just because I thought it was "too tough". I thought Kinston's Barnet Park (the one in my example) was great, more so for the tough arse skinny. If I lived nearby I play that hole everyday trying to crack that nut.

...golf isn't supposed to be easy...

You're absolutely right about this. Even when I was first playing, I much preferred tough and interesting courses to easy courses where I could score par. Even today as an average (at best) player, I love playing gold level courses that push me to be a better player.

I find this funny because I'm more likely to give tougher courses higher reviews than easier ones simply because more challenging, varied holes makes for the most fun disc golf game. If every hole was a wide open straight 200 footer, disc golf wouldn't be any fun.

On one review I did give a low rating to a very tough course, but the freeways were 10 feet wide at most and confusing course layout mixed with the skinny fairways was not conductive to a fun game of disc.

Totally agree. There is a fine line between challenging and throwing your bag into the lake and kicking a squirrel on the way out though.

I'll mark down a course if I think it's TOO hard. Especially if a bad shot off a ridiculously narrow fairway means you're in blackberry and poison oak thickets.

Totally agree. There is a fine line between challenging and throwing your bag into the lake and kicking a squirrel on the way out though.

Throwing your bag into the lake first is a must. You can't catch squirrels to kick them with 2 beers, 20 discs, 2 towels, a baseball and a bottle opener on your shoulders.

Damn skippy you can't.

Old women are a lot easier to corner but not nearly as satisfying.

Luck is ALWAYS a part of every shot. If a lucky shot is the only shot that will clear the tree, then luck favors the more skilled player. The better you get at figuring out how to throw a hole, the better chance you have of getting lucky. It's just about solving the puzzle and playing percentages.

Sorry Man - I totally disagree :D

If luck was always a part of EVERY shot then why would we practice to improve our game. A 20' putt is not luck at some point for those who gain experience putting. A shot that takes "trees" out of the equation is not luck regardless of the shot type you choose. That is called skill and is something acheived the more a player practices a certain shot. That was why I had made a distinction about luck NOT being a factor for most pros or experienced players.

I doubt Climo said "boy I got real lucky today on all my shots" at his last tournament........

I do agree luck comes into play from time to time. IE - I make a throw off the tee that goes straight toward the woods and as luck would have it, I get the favorable kick-out off the first tree back into the fairway. That is luck! BUT if I throw a nice smooth controlled shot down the middel of the 100' wide fairway, where i didn't rush myself but was just looking to drop a drive out at 250' with no bells and whistles, where's the luck in that? I call that planning a shot for an approach within 150' that pretty much guarantees me par unless i miss my putt from within 20':D

Latest posts