• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH drives necessary?

Pooka

I started out using mostly RHBH drives, but they were not going very far. I then attempted a forehand hyzer drive and my distance is about 350 with better accuracy than my RHBH drives. :wall:

Should I be concerned only throwing RHBH 200-250, when my forehand is working almost too well for me. I am fine with RHBH approach shots but cannot sidearm an approach shot. (anhyzer shots work well for this)

I have tried practicing, but I find using this practice time on putting is a greater advantage.

Well, it is always good to be able to do both, but many people get by fine with just one way or the other.

If you are RH, this makes you have to be able to use and understable disc for left curves and I find that much more dificult FH as it seems to crash and burn more when using an understable disc.

The obvious answer is yes, the more shots you can throw, the better player you will be. I was a pure FH thrower off the tee until I worked on my BH this year, and now I throw BH with more confidence and throw further.

Don't stop putting practice as the short game pays off more, but try learning to drive with your putter and you will be able to tell whats off in your form and improve much faster. What discs are you throwing FH and BH?

FH I'm using a 168 sidewinder and 168 beast. My BH I usually just use a stratus or shockwave for tight drives. My Orc was my only real BH driver, but it is now in a lake. I haven't bothered to get a BH only disc. I have not had any luck with the sidewinder or beast BH. Any advice on a BH driver.

Best place to start would be a Leopard at that distance. It is a good disc to learn BH with as it will get you some distance and be forgiving, but at the same time, as you develop, you can shape lines with it.

I am the same way, my BH is good for about 200' and my FH is longer.

I use them both though, depending on need.

I was watching a youtube video that followed the lead group in this tourney and the player that won threw all forehand and overhand drives, but I can't remember what his name was. He putted backhand and did some approach shots bh, but didn't do a single bh drive. He beat some top pros that were throwing backhand and forehand (I think Nate Doss was one of them). He was throwing sidearms 450+' and thumbers around 400'.

I would say they are necessary. At least from the injury perspective. FH takes a lot of strain on your arm. I started off throwing distance FH mainly because it went 200ft further than my best backhand. Then I hurt/torn something in my arm and was out of commission for half a year. It's been two years since and I'm almost back up to that 400ft throwing backhand, but I've been injury free since. It'll just take time to get that BH up to speed, but well worth it in the long run IMO.

It's real simple. Quit your job, perfect forehands, backhands and putts, and you will rule. Then find a rich, not chick to financially support your habit. Your not too far from the Orlando area. Maybe you should give the soon to be the ex-Mrs. Woods a call. She'll have a few bucks and will probably understand your addiction to the sport. Just don't piss her off.

Funny everyone says FH is painful and dangerous...my damn backhand hurts me more. I don't know if I had upper arm tendon damage from my accident though so that might be the cause.

Funny everyone says FH is painful and dangerous...my damn backhand hurts me more. I don't know if I had upper arm tendon damage from my accident though so that might be the cause.

Its real easy backhand to use all arm, and that can really hurt your shoulders. Gotta let your body rotation do most of the work.

I was throwing mostly RHFH until this winter. I am making myself throw RHBH all winter. It has been about 3-4 weeks now of almost all RHBH. I don't bomb it as far as RHFH, yet, but it is getting better every week. All I am throwing RHBH is 150 Leopards(1 DX, 2 Star) and 163,164 Star Roadrunners. It has brought new excitement to my game. I can almost throw a hyzer-flip now! I am only getting about 250-270 on my drives, but I know the distance will come because my form is getting better. RHFH I can get 300-350 but it is not as consistant. Just my .02.

Its real easy backhand to use all arm, and that can really hurt your shoulders. Gotta let your body rotation do most of the work.

Its not shoulder it is upper arm pain.

I don't agree it's necessary...but neither is owning any mids or drivers. You can play an entire course throwing a challenger backhand if you want. I have.

I'm planning on playing a course only FH and one only rollers this spring.

So do you NEED a BH throw? No. Should you develop one if you're really concerned about your score? Probably.

\/\/

As a kid, I grew up throwing a Frisbee backhand, so it's my forte. But I use FH on occasion, when I need the disc to turn/fade the other way, or to reach out from behind obstacles, usually at shorter distances (<100 ft) though I've hit a few 220 ft drives with it. I work on it now and then, not high on my list, though.

Same approach for you. It's worth learning, even if only to use "In Case of Emergency" Some times even a so-so back hand is a better shot then a good FH. Vice versa for me.

I like doing both because it keeps undue stress off my arms/shoulder.

I started off backhand, then learned how to throw the hyzerflip forehand and switched to that. After that I learned how to throw the backhand really far and my forehand has suffered a lot. I can't throw more than 250 forehand anymore.

Watch any video of a top card at a master's tournament. Almost all of the players at that level use a RHBH as a main throw. What has been related to me by everyone experienced I have talked to is, if you want to get into the competitive scene, you need to master the backhand. There's a reason you can find more information on backhand from than forehand form. That being said, if your goal with the sport isn't to become competitive, then obviously, do whatever you want to.