• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH Intermediate Form Help

casmith175

Hi everyone!

Looking for suggestions on what to work on next with my throw. Maxing out in lower 400s. It does not feel like i'm getting proper lower body movement, but it's been difficult to figure out why. Thanks in advance!

1. Looks like your spine is a bit extended/anterior pelvic tilt in x-step/stride.

2. Are you naturally pigeon toed or anteverted hips? You are planting your left foot extremely forward facing with pelvis open and pretzeling your body. Your rear/left foot then spins backward with the rest of your backswing during the stride, so you are not coiling back into rear foot leveraged against the ground. KJUSA is naturally pigeon toed and typically plants his left rear foot closer to perpendicular and his foot doesn't spin out in backswing/stride, but leverages targetward from rearside while frontside coils back.

3. Power pocket posture/shape. Note how KJ gets his shoulder forward over his hip/knee and creates a much deeper power pocket to swing the disc thru. Your shoulder gets jacked up behind your knee making a smaller power pocket. You are also getting taller as you plant your front foot and rotating early(firing hips), instead of falling and getting shorter into the plant and crushing the can/shifting from behind before rotating.

kjusa trip seq coil pp am.png

kjusa hor trip seq x pp am copy.png

Hey @sidewinder22 , thanks for the analysis. Some really good points here. If you could pick one, which one is the highest priority to focus on right now?

1. This is interesting, i'd never noticed. Will need to play around with fixing that posture.

2. I don't believe i'm anteverted, but I have noticed in the throw i have a very hard time keeping the rear hip internally rotated. A decade of barbell squats prior to disc golf, while pushing my knees out most likely does not help. I'd also noticed I have a difficult time keeping it leveraged against the ground. Even when I focus on keeping that rear foot from spinning, it'll still happen naturally. Any idea how to fix, or should it be an area of focus in drilling until it's resolved? Kind of puzzled on this one, because it's one of the areas I've focused on in the past with little success.

3. Good observation, will try to work on this one. Assuming a better pocket would be huge for accuracy and timing.

I should elaborate on #2. The forward facing plant is an attempt to keep the rear foot from spinning, but does not seem to work or help.

Some more quick thoughts from wearing socks on hardwood floors and taking swings with a flight towel. It seems that correcting my posture/spine position that you pointing out in items 1 and 3 puts my weight over the toes more and helps the rear foot stabilize into the ground. This could be a really big improvement! I will work with this for a while and report back if I make any progress.

Seems then you are trying to force the rear foot pigeon toed instead of more natural ballerina like position that allows a more free range of motion into the backswing instead of restricted backswing forcing the rear foot to turn with everything.
701DA37.png

Latest posts