• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Rhynos vs Envys

... of course, you could use my logic...

... in a standard 54 par round...

... at maximum, 18 shots will require a driver...

... at minimum, 36 shots will be putt / approach...

...Very few courses are without 250-300' holes. Likewise, very few courses are all 350+ holes...

Therefore... your rig should lean heavy towards your putt / approach game... not drives.

That is sound logic. Personally, I'm more comfortable manipulating release angle with putters and mids, while drivers I try to release all roughly the same and let the disc do the work. So my bag is driver and fairway heavy in order to cover all my lines, while the mids and putters each get thrown more regularly.

3 putters / 4 mids / 6 fairways / 3 control drivers / 3 distance drivers

...occasionally I want the extra control of something between a Rhyno drive and a Proxy drive. So, do I go with an OS Proxy i.e. an Envy? Or a less OS Rhyno i.e. a beat up DX Rhyno?

As i mentioned earlier, I prefer to beat up my stable or overstable discs to fill this slot.

But if you don't have the time or patience (or if you just want to try something new) then a Tank might be a good fit. Tanks are Rhyno Thumtrac tops and beadless Aviar PandA bottoms. They start out beefier than you might expect but beat in to have that flight you were asking about. Depending on how hard you throw, they might have that flight when they are brand new. Tanks come in hard (KC pro I was told) or soft (R-Pro)/ soft glow. The R-Pro is less overstable off-the-shelf compared to a brand new Rhyno. I'm a big fan of Tanks and they regularly cycle in and out of the bag. In the end, they overlap a little too much with my Rhynos which is the only reason they don't have a permanent slot in my bag.

...Very few courses are without 250-300' holes. Likewise, very few courses are all 350+ holes...

Therefore... your rig should lean heavy towards your putt / approach game... not drives.

If you can't get off the tee well because you don't have the right mold for the shot ahead of you, your score is going to suffer. While I follow your logic myself, it took a long time to find a few molds I could trust to work all those lines.

Minimum of 36 putt and approach shots? On an 18 hole course?

Not if you're throwing good tee shots, no.

Latest posts