• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RIGHTY THROWER LEARNING LEFTY

dkoz

Eagle Member
Ok iam a righty thrower who within the last 2 years had 2 surgeries on my right elbow " still not 100%". So if i wanted to continue to play this sport i must learn to throw lefty. My lefty backhand iam throwing 250-280 thats max and i might add alittle annoying as well! Has anybody ever tried this? If so feed back would be great on how long it took you to adapt to this switch.

I have a friend who crashed his motorcycle into a tree in 1990 and ended up losing most of his usage in his left arm. He was a lefty and had to learn how to do alot of things with his right arm, includig throwing discs. So it is doable, but he still isn't 100% of where he used to be.

I broke my right hand and started throwing lefty so I could get out and play. THe best thing that helped me was watching videos and re-learning everything. I started out throwing my cheetahs then teebirds then moved to my drivers. I never learned how to throw side arm but you may want to. You are lucky you wont have to learn how to putt lefty. That was the hardest part. Just take your time don't get frustrated and you will be fine. Try to mimic your movement of your right hand....which looks like as of now you are doing fine. I hope that helps. PM me if you have any questions.

i dont know anybody personally but i know cubby can throw both righty and lefty

I am a LHBH player but also throw a RHFH. Problem is, both fade to the right. I am trying to learn RHBH to give me more options. Besides just straight up practice, I would love to hear any other suggestions.

I am a LHBH player but also throw a RHFH. Problem is, both fade to the right. I am trying to learn RHBH to give me more options. Besides just straight up practice, I would love to hear any other suggestions.

im the same way. lhbh and rhfh. when i need a left break i just pull out a beast and put it on a huge anhyzer line

Ok iam a righty thrower who within the last 2 years had 2 surgeries on my right elbow " still not 100%". So if i wanted to continue to play this sport i must learn to throw lefty. My lefty backhand iam throwing 250-280 thats max and i might add alittle annoying as well! Has anybody ever tried this? If so feed back would be great on how long it took you to adapt to this switch.

I actually picked up the Disc right after I had a shoulder surgery on my right arm and learned to play lefty. Started throwing Righty in Dec. At first it was really awkward to throw lefty but after awhile it felt pretty natural and then i went through the same thing(not as bad) throwing with my right arm. I think with learning a skill or making a form change repetition is the key. The more you do it the more natural it will feel and the better it will get. While this may hurt your ego at first because your not throwing as good as you used to in the end it will be worth it if you can still play. just start slow and don't expect miracles.

Just like your playing baseball swinging a bat, Just swing through the zone and throw.

I learned lefty during a right arm injury. I broke it down one motion at a time. Mostly drove without stepping. It helped me with my righty form, as I got so focused in on each movement.

I throw RHBH and have a RHFH shot for short holes and approaches. I have flirted with throwing left-handed and have gotten it out to 300', but I have never mastered it to get it that consistent. I just keep forgetting that I can do that instead of an anhyzer shot.

At first, the main thing is to try to mimic how you throw right handed and practice that. When you finally feel a little comfortable with that, then your left handed form will take on its own form. This happens because you can't throw left-handed exactly the same as right handed. This isn't bad. You just need to continue to work on your left handed shots until it becomes comfortable.

What I found is that because the form is a little bit different, the discs that you throw will react just a little bit diffent. This is OK. I even have a disc or two in my bag that I throw better left-handed than I do right handed for specific shots.

Naturally I'm a Righty. And every other sport I've ever played I've been Right handed, basketball, baseball, football, etc.

But in disc golf I'm a lefty idk why it's crazy though.

Been trying to develop a left fading shot for a few months now and since I'm a natural righty a LHFH shot feels about as natural as we trying to throw a baseball lefthanded, So I've been learning a RHBH.

Look forward to more good info in this thread!

i also have a freind who started throwing lefty last year due to shattering his elbow. he will never have 50% use of that right arm anymore. In the 9 months of throwing lefty he is almost hitting 400ft. His love for playing the game and many good freinds encouraging him with playing a lot of catch in the feild has made his lefty throwing amazing. The bastard still drains tons of putts with his right arm from 50ft and closer. Plus he had to change up most the drivers in the bag to slower understable drivers but his mids and putters styaed the same.

Naturally I'm a Righty. And every other sport I've ever played I've been Right handed, basketball, baseball, football, etc.

I have this situation myself, only thing i i can think of why is because while swinging a bat right handed, your left arm is your pull through arm. Frustrating in DG though.

Been trying to develop a left fading shot for a few months now and since I'm a natural righty a LHFH shot feels about as natural as we trying to throw a baseball lefthanded, So I've been learning a RHBH.

Look forward to more good info in this thread!

That is my exact situation. No idea why I started throwing a Frisbee left handed. That could be a thread on its on.

Why do people throw a Frisbee with a non-dominant hand?

Thx guys for all the feedback, i actually got to put lefty too!!! and to me this is the toughest transition out of it all!!!! I think my problem with not driving over 300 " i will once in awhile" but like i said its in the 270's i feel like iam doing everything right it seems like my arm is tighter when i hold my disc which makes me feel like even through iam doing the movements right iam still using more arm then anything when i throw!!!I live in northeast ohio maybe when it stops raining " 4 weeks st8" ill put up a video and you guys can point out what iam doing wrong.

I played with a guy from Colorado that got into a nasty work accident and took out a lot of the muscle in his right forearm. He could throw pretty accurately lefty, but had enough strength in his right arm to putt righty still. He wasn't a half bad golfer, especially with his injury.