• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rip Blisters

Firios

Hello,

I have just recently developed some extra D in my backhand drive, so I have been practicing that throw quite often lately. After today's session, I noticed a fairly large blister appear where the disc rips off of my pointer finger. If it helps, I am throwing with a Climo grip. Any ideas on how to prevent blistering from the disc tearing off?

Firios said:
Hello,

I have just recently developed some extra D in my backhand drive, so I have been practicing that throw quite often lately. After today's session, I noticed a fairly large blister appear where the disc rips off of my pointer finger. If it helps, I am throwing with a Climo grip. Any ideas on how to prevent blistering from the disc tearing off?

If you are using the Climo grip, your pinky should be your rip finger. I used to rip off my pointer finger...first came the blisters, then the callous, and then the callous would split (which is worse that the blisters). When I changed to the Climo grip I never had that problem again. Anyway, blisters turn into callouses so just wrap it in some medical tape and keep playing and the skin there will toughen up.

discspeed said:
If you are using the Climo grip, your pinky should be your rip finger.

Really? I though the pinky was there to keep the disc in the palm but the rip was still around the index finger...

Hmm. So I guess my pointer finger just needs to toughen up. That's good to hear. I also don't really see anyway the disc could rip off the pinky finger with a Climo grip. Can anyone verify which rip finger is supposed to be used with a Climo grip?

I've had several blisters and dark red skin. More pinch strength and a good squeeze with the index finger and thumb may help for climo grip preventing micro slipping induced chafing. Even power grip needs pinching power but not as much so that may be a quick fix.

Jsw said:
Man up.

/no trollmo

That's the way in thickening and toughening the skin to become a non issue. This needs to be done because as your power and D grows so do the forces punishing the fingers and skin as well.

My rip finger is my pointer finger and there's always been a bit of soreness in one spot. However, I never got blisters or any real pain until now. Yesterday I played in a charity event with 20 degree weather and rain. Talk about blister heaven. This morning I woke up to a nice ol' blood blister (I'll upload a picture later). It's right where my rip point is. I'm curious on a climo grip. I didn't know the rip point was the pinky? That seems odd just thinking about it.

i also use the climo grip and when i first switched to it i had a callous on my pinky. now it's gone but i still have a callous on my index and lower part of middle finger. I still feel the rip on my pinky.

2a6um55.jpg

...Hurts like a bitch.

Should I pop the sucker?

I popped it and got as much blood out of it. It actually feels a lot better than I thought it would. Made sure to sterilize the needle and my finger afterwards. Can't have my rip point finger getting cut off from small pox or whatever could have been on that needle I found.

haha no way, that sucker hurt pretty bad. I've never had a blood blister and even with just a needle blood went everywhere.

I'm going to have to say its from the rain and cold + six hours of throwing.