• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RIP disc golf putters

chainsmoker said:
I think these are made by Quest because one of our local retailers got these mixed in with Quest discs.

As I understand RIP contracts Quest for production.

I bought a disc at PIAS yesterday that has the grip N rip Rip Disc golf stamp on it and weighs 165. I'm not sure of the model but it is a putter with a huge square bead with rounded edges. The center portion is the same clearish center portion on all quest two part discs so it is very stiff and slick. The plastic around the outside of the disc is super grippy and pretty soft probably the tackiest plastic I have ever felt.
I've got three baskets set up in the backyard and have some tees marked for shots ranging from 125'-200' straight, hyzer and anhyzer. This Rip Disc Golf putter is the first high speed overstable putter I have ever thrown. The putter starts to hyzer about 80' out of my hand when thrown hard. When I force this disc over out of my hand it will still pull out of it from very steep anhyzers. I had a hard time throwing this disc 200,' which is a nice smooth throw with one of my Wizards.
Do to the slickness of the center portion the only type of putting I could feel a little comfortable with was spin putting. When this disc hit the chains it sticks, even on very off center hits. I think this disc would be very resistant to cut throughs because it graps the chains so well it doesn't even get to the inner set of chains.

Thanks for the name of the disc booter.
I putted with the Graboide a little more today and I would say that this is the fastest dropping putter I have ever used. I don't think I could ever get used to the feel of this disc but I know some people are looking for putters that drop fast.

I picked up a red and yellow 173 Relic today and I'm impressed with how this disc looks. The center section is still stiff as hell and slick but not as slick as the clear white center of the graboid. The overmolding is really clean and smooth where the different materials meet. If it wasn't for the center section this disc would feel like a Bulldog because the wing has the same kind of depth and thickness. I also think this disc flies like a Bulldog, I didn't notice any turn at speed throwing them up to about 250' and a pretty strong fade. A little bit of a headwind had no effect on the Relic. The Relic is a consistent flyer and I could see me liking this disc if the center wasn't so stiff.

Only time will tell, but it sure seems like that stiff plastic is going to put a lot of stress on the joint with the soft plastic on hard impacts. I'm not sure how the two plastics hook together, but it doesn't look like they are held together by much. Like I said, only time will tell.

discspeed said:
Only time will tell, but it sure seems like that stiff plastic is going to put a lot of stress on the joint with the soft plastic on hard impacts. I'm not sure how the two plastics hook together, but it doesn't look like they are held together by much. Like I said, only time will tell.

Cut one in half and post some pics :D

When Gateway/Quest came out with overmolded discs a few years ago I cut one in half but the RIP discs aren't made the same. I kind of like both of my RIP discs so I won't cut them in half... yet :twisted:

chainsmoker said:
I picked up a red and yellow 173 Relic today and I'm impressed with how this disc looks. The center section is still stiff as hell and slick but not as slick as the clear white center of the graboid. The overmolding is really clean and smooth where the different materials meet. If it wasn't for the center section this disc would feel like a Bulldog because the wing has the same kind of depth and thickness. I also think this disc flies like a Bulldog, I didn't notice any turn at speed throwing them up to about 250' and a pretty strong fade. A little bit of a headwind had no effect on the Relic. The Relic is a consistent flyer and I could see me liking this disc if the center wasn't so stiff.
Hmmm I may try one bow.I love the bulldog,but i hate the durability. If I don't like it,ill chop it up. I've got an ass load of bulldogs anyway

Booter I thought the same thing. It felt big in the hand like a bulldog. But stability wise that thing flew like a magic for me. it is basically a bulldog sized magic

Yea it made me think of a magic when I saw pics of it but I havnt felt one.I may still try one but there might not be a point because I've already taken a liking to the bulldog

zj1002 said:
Booter I thought the same thing. It felt big in the hand like a bulldog. But stability wise that thing flew like a magic for me. it is basically a bulldog sized magic
I guess there is some real variablility here. My Relic is 173 and is much more stable than a Magic. I had magics in my bag for almost two years that I used for hyzerflips and anhyzers that turned all the way.
I would rate my relic as:
HSS 0
LSS 3
Power 2

There is no float to this disc, when it slows down it drops.

I just started using a graboid. i like it a lot, but only use it for putting. I still use wizards for longer upshots and drives. I agree about the center of the disc being way too stiff and mainly the problem is that its slick. what I do is just spray a tiny bit of bug spray on em while i'm putting it on myself. I don't put it directly on it, just kinda spray it in the air and the wave my disc through it. seems to help with the slick problem anyway. I love it as long as i can grip it well enough.

RIP just posted of facebook an eBay listing for a set of these for $5 so I jumped on it. I'll probably toss them next weekend.

picked up a relic for fun. Vey different feeling putter but I was hitting some long putts with it. it is more stable then i expected with a health fade at the end of the flight.

Latest posts