• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rip finger is killing me (rhbh)

SMcVicker91

I throw RHBH and have been playing/practicing this year more than ever. I feel like I can never get in the time I want in the field to practice because my finger will start hurting and if I don't stop the skin will tear off (happened last year). Do I just need to be patient and wait for whatever is forming on my finger to get tougher or am I doing something fundamentally wrong with my grip? (I use a power grip with the pad against the rim)

All I was practicing today was trying to throw my putters/mids from 150ft out (trying to rebuild, instead of working on distance and eventually getting frustrated and giving up, I'm practicing controlled throws focused on weight shift and throwing with my entire body rather than strong arming. ).

As far as feeling pain, it's worst when throwing my putters, which must be due to the deeper rim. If anyone has experienced this or has any information I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I have the exact same thing happen to me. Just get some athletic tape. Tear it so it is thin enough to just go around that part of your finger and not restrict your flexibility. This works for me. I also usually tape the bottom of my index finger because it starts to blister from forehands. Hope this helps

I keep one of these in my bag for long tournaments when my finger starts to really hurt. I only use if for a power grip. Surprisingly it doesn't adversely affect the through as much as I thought it would.

http://www.singlefitgolf.com

I have the exact same thing happen to me. Just get some athletic tape. Tear it so it is thin enough to just go around that part of your finger and not restrict your flexibility. This works for me. I also usually tape the bottom of my index finger because it starts to blister from forehands. Hope this helps

Sounds simple enough. I've never heard of anyone else having the problem so I figured I must be doing something wrong, guess I just have weird hands or something.

There's too much friction and likely slipping early due to your grip and/or swing arc or pace. When you fully mash the disc, it smashes your finger and springs/pivots off it cleanly(sometimes your fingernail will bleed from the force), but it does not rip off it.

I had some similar problems last week after practising a lot with only putters. Not sure if it went away because I relaxed the finger when throwing or because I took a few days break.

Watch Videos of Doss... He has tape on his Index finger alot

Another recommendation for athletic tape. I used to nuke the outside of my index finger and had similar issues to you. Have never had an issue since I started using tape. I don't find it to interfere at all. Highly recommend it.

There's too much friction and likely slipping early due to your grip and/or swing arc or pace. When you fully mash the disc, it smashes your finger and springs/pivots off it cleanly(sometimes your fingernail will bleed from the force), but it does not rip off it.

So if I focus on gripping down as hard as I can the split second before release as I hit power pocket, it will give me a cleaner release? So I will try that out, and if I still have problems how would I go about finding out what's wrong with my grip/swing arc/pace?

I've been focusing more on weight shift and rotation and pulling through and forgot about gripping down at the end.

I've had bad blood blisters form there as well. If I throw fine there's typically no pain, but occasionally if I get a slip it will hurt...and wide rimmed discs with small rim depth are the worst for me. I use cloth bandaids wrapped around my finger (buy a super long strip and cut them to whatever width). I always keep a lot in my bag pre-cut. I'm sure athletic tape is as good or better.

I recommend curling your finger when you put it on, rather than keeping your finger straight. This way you won't keep blowing them off your finger during throws, or at least not as often.

Mcbeth recommends super glue.

I just do hammer drills all the time. Especially the first one will give you a nice callous.

Watch Videos of Doss... He has tape on his Index finger alot
Nate Doss said:
The tape comes from an injury that I had about 5 seasons ago. I was getting a nasty blood blister on the end of my finger and I could never get it to go away. At the time I was completely against the use tape on my fingers, but due to pain of the blister I was forced to. When I made that decision I was worried that it would affect my game. I spent hours perfecting the tape job and even more time practicing with it. I was able to get over the tape and now I cant even throw a disc without it. The tape is apart of my game now and does not affect me in the least bit…

So if I focus on gripping down as hard as I can the split second before release as I hit power pocket, it will give me a cleaner release? So I will try that out, and if I still have problems how would I go about finding out what's wrong with my grip/swing arc/pace?

I've been focusing more on weight shift and rotation and pulling through and forgot about gripping down at the end.
Was that a blood blister or water blister? Or not a blister and the skin just ripped off?

Pretty sure it was a blood blister
Blood blisters are from typically from the disc pinching you and you not pinching the disc. The disc pivots loosely and pinches/catches your skin at the launch because there's a loss of contact. A snappier/short/sharp exit swing arc is more prone to this like Doss's. A wider swing exit arc like Brinster, Wiggins, and GG is less prone.

I keep a roll of Band-Aid brand 1/2" waterproof tape in my bag for this. Works great, too.

When I was doing driver field work and learning the rip, I had similar issues, but my problems centered on the crease of my first bend on the index finger.
I got some 1" first aid tape from the local chain drug store and use a criss-cross pattern that does not restrict the movement of the knuckle.
I still use it when I do field work (100-200+ throws in a session), but not regular course play.

I had considered finger cots, but I always worried the disc would slip too much. I suffered through blisters of both kinds earlier this year, then calluses, but the tips of my fingers and side of my index just seemed to have toughened up...or I'm not gripping correctly since I've been focusing more on everything else (I kinda suspect this). Might have to check out sports tape, or the golf finger glove. The tips of my lock fingers have remained tough and thick for sure though.

I also get my inder finger really sore, but only when throwing putters. However I don't get the soreness on the finger pad, but rather in the area between the two joints (I use fan grip with putters because I feel like I get much cleaner release). So basically I can't throw more than 30ish throws on a field session before it starts hurting enough that I have to stop. Only happens with putters tho, no problems with mids or drivers (different grip I suppose).
Also sometimes when powergripping drivers, when the disc rips out of my hand, I somehow smash the nail of my thumb into my index finger really hard (leaves a clear mark in the finger). Luckily this doesn't happen often but I do try to keep the nail as short as possible to avoid wounding my finger. Do you guys have ever had that issue with the nail?

Latest posts