• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RL Smith - Played Yesterday 01.06.2019

EarthRocker

Birdie Member
I've heard a lot of rumors and half-information about this course over the past year. I can't say when it will be closed for the still-upcoming sewer/water work planned, but I can say that a group of us went out there yesterday, and it is very playable. All 18 holes! If any of you have been skipping over it, it's time to go back.

Waterways are a little higher than I've seen them in a while, but that's natural and wholly expected. To me, it adds to the experience. I actually enjoy the sound of bubbling brooks and running creeks...We had a few discs find the water on 4. We were able to retrieve each one with some careful boulder-hopping.

There are bugs out there, too, and some biting ants. Again, not unexpected with the wet and the warmth we've had lately. A couple of our guys weren't looking closely before setting down their bags, and paid a painful price early on. That was on the first two holes somewhere. That's as bad as it ever got.

Other than that, it was the same course we know and love. My partner and I shot 3-down. Lead card was 5- or 6-down. Good golf, good times. Killer course that should continue to be played until we truly can't anymore. One of my favorites, and it kills me to think I've been staying off of it for so long.

Carry on, brethren. :thmbup:

Pretty great course :)

Woods, water, and elevation always bring a Frolfin good time. Some funky Rock stuff there too, right!? Wanted that one Uphill Acerun Hole so bad :D

Hmmm. I've been avoiding RL Smith for the same reasons as you had. Sounds like it's time to visit RLS again before they start the sewer renovation project. Always a fun course to play. Thanks for the conditions update.
I hope we get Eastway back sooner than later...

I'm with you on Eastway. I really like that course, too.

But yeah - RL Smith is exactly as you remember it. We were told beforehand that #2 and #3 were "unplayable." What we found, though, was only that they were a little overgrown in the rough. Even some errant throws were easy to find. Not that it's any fun fighting through those man-killing thorn bushes, but still. It ain't a round of disc golf if someone ain't bleeding. :D