• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

road trip - advise on playing idlewild

MotoDj

Double Eagle Member
i'm going to visit a friend in knoxville, TN

obvioiusly i have to stop in Idlewild for a round or two - i mean, its almost a once in a lifetime chance, and right off the highway

so... anything some noobs should know?
theres 4 of us, one of which will not be throwing over 80feet, but also doesn't throw in hazardous spots, so we still flow nice - actually, if we pay by the person, she prob wont throw at all
anyways, i printed the course map, so i should find my way pretty easy, not really sure what issues we'll encounter though

hows the course gonna look in a week?
should we worry about bugs?
food/water (i'm expecting a long course..)
extra discs to bring (water? chance of losing any?)

It's not a pay to play course, and you don't really have to worry about losing discs. All the water hazards other than the pond if you play to the long pin on 2 are streams that you can easily retrieve your disc from. It is a pretty long course in terms of walking and hills, so you'll probably want water and maybe snacks. If at all possible hit up Banklick (nearby) and Mt. Airy (a little further north), they're both top notch courses as well.

Bring extra water (it is a long course), bug spray (not bad, but there are a few thickets you might be climbing into), and just know it will take at least 2.5 hours per round and more like 3-4. You might even pack a snack or two, just in case. Only water that you might lose a disc in is on 2 if you play the long (you have to throw over a lake late in the hole). Other than that, there are only small creeks where the disc is easily retreivable.

It is well worth it. It's a pretty exhausting round, but you won't regret it. I've been playing that course for 10 years now and have enjoyed it every time I go.

As Mashnut said, instead of two rounds there, you might try Banklick for a second. It's 24 holes and some of the most scenic disc golf you can imagine. (My brother lives 2 minutes from banklick, so I know that course very well!) Great mix of everything in that course.

Enjoy!

Daniel

I would second the vote for playing Banklick as well. It's my favorite of all the local courses, and lucky for me, I live just down the road. Beautiful course and great maintenance.

As long as it's not downpouring while you're here, the courses should all be playable. Banklick drains very well,(very hilly) but it may be a bit soggy in some spots. Especially down near the creek.

Definitely bring a few snacks and couple bottles of water for Idlewild, it really does take a good 2.5-3.5 hours.

...iC...

My best advice for there is don't push it for extra distance. It's designed like a John Houck course. There are spots to aim for and lay up that will give you better second shots. i.e. being in the center of the fairway short is better than being a bit longer in the brush. I know that seems obvious but some of the holes are long and most of them are wooded so missing the fairway and hitting a tree and then ending up in the rough will cost you.

I didn't play Banklick while I was there but I'll second the Mt. Airy course. I think I may have enjoyed myself more on Mt Airy than Idlewild due to a little less frustration level. Though I did play Idlewild twice and Airy once. Maybe because I wanted redemption.

good info, i'm surprised to hear it takes that long for a round, i think i'll learn how far i cant throw
hehe

are the other local courses free? and how long would those rounds take? its a possibility to hit all three IF i'm willing to keep playing, time isn't that important, but i have a 4 hour drive to idlewild, and a 5 hour drive after playing... i dont wanna be too whooped

You can play Idlewild faster than that if you walk at a reasonable pace, all three courses are free, and you can easily play them in a day. I played Idlewild twice, Boone Woods (old layout), AJ Jolly, Banklick, and Mt. Airy in a day with a couple hour drive at each end.

My dog has been with me to Idlewild, Bancklick, Mt. Airy, AJ Jolly, and Boone Woods. If I remember, all had dogs on leash signs, certainly none of them were no dogs allowed.

My dog has been with me to Idlewild, Bancklick, Mt. Airy, AJ Jolly, and Boone Woods. If I remember, all had dogs on leash signs, certainly none of them were no dogs allowed.

Correct, the only dog restrictions is that they be on a leash.

You can play Idlewild faster than that if you walk at a reasonable pace, all three courses are free, and you can easily play them in a day. I played Idlewild twice, Boone Woods (old layout), AJ Jolly, Banklick, and Mt. Airy in a day with a couple hour drive at each end.

OUCH! Are you some kind of masochist? :gross:

Latest posts