• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc paper scissors

Jungle Tim

Birdie Member
Roc vs Wasp, They the same right? New they look IDENTICAL and fly the same too. So whats the massive hype about the Roc over the Wasp?

If Discraft's Buzzzz trumps Wasps, then perhapse a Buzzz is better than a Roc? But then again a Buzzz is the same as a Shark right. And a Roc trumps a Shark.....

any thoughts?

I don't throw the discraft discs but I can tell you that my shark and roc are both pretty similar the only real difference for me is that my roc still fades a little and my shark turns over. They both get playing time so its not really a one over the other situation.

i love the buzzz's and i also have a wasp - both great discs - i prefer the buzzz's, i have 3 (in X, Z and FLX). I am really trying to master the buzzz right now - i'm not at the point where i can take advantage of the wasps overstability. ill probably throw the buzzz's 90% of midrange throws - i can throw them better and with more consistency. i had a Roc and a 150 class Shark before- never threw either with much consistency. ive taken a liking to the Discraft midranges.

From my under standing the Wasp is supposed to be an overstable midrange whereas Buzz is more on the understable side.

yeah that's it - my X & Z Buzzz's actually say "Super Straight Modified Wasp" right on them -they basically hold any line for most of their flight and fade slightly at the end of their flight

Generally if I have a tunnel shot I will throw the Buzz unless I need it to stay right at the end then I throw the stratus.

Roc vs Wasp, They the same right? New they look IDENTICAL and fly the same too. So whats the massive hype about the Roc over the Wasp?
Here is the hype...the 21.7 cm diameter Roc came out in 1987. The Wasp came out in 2002. It took Discraft FIFTEEN YEARS to finally come out with a disc to compete with the Roc. If you have started playing disc golf in the last six years, it's no big deal. If you started playing disc golf before that, it was a very big deal. A lot of us old timers are Roc loyalist because when we started, there was no option...Roc or nothing.

So that's where most of the "massive hype" comes from. It will take some time before a a six-year old disc like the Wasp or a five-year old disc like the Buzzz will overcome 21 years of Roc throwers.

Here is the hype...the 21.7 cm diameter Roc came out in 1987. The Wasp came out in 2002. It took Discraft FIFTEEN YEARS to finally come out with a disc to compete with the Roc. If you have started playing disc golf in the last six years, it's no big deal. If you started playing disc golf before that, it was a very big deal. A lot of us old timers are Roc loyalist because when we started, there was no option...Roc or nothing.

So that's where most of the "massive hype" comes from. It will take some time before a a six-year old disc like the Wasp or a five-year old disc like the Buzzz will overcome 21 years of Roc throwers.

Accept, at the rate of new disc golfers showing up, it is just a matter of time before the buzzzzzzz is about newer discs like the Wasp and Buzzz. I mean let's face it, word of mouth form ROC loyalists (hint hint) and all that great apparel is what is keeping the ROC legend alive and well today. All the changes of the ROC molds and keeping that part confusing is what is making it tough for new players to take hold.

I would like to throw a Buzz but I dont speak discraft ... If I like Champ and Star plastic, what would that translate to? Didn't we just have a thread about Discraft plastic and Innova plastic?
If not shouldn't we star one?

Innova Star=Discraft ESP
Innova Champ=Discraft Z
Innova Pro=Discraft X
Innova DX=Discraft D

Innova does not have anything that equals Discraft ESP FLX
Discraft does not have anything the equals Innova KC Pro Roc plastic.

So are innova Pro and Innova KC pro different plastics? I always thought they were the same just one had some famous dudes initials on it.

The KC Aviar and KC Roc use a Pro/DX blend that is firmer than Pro. The KC Whippet and all of the old OOP KC Pro drivers were made out of just regular Pro plastic. So other that the Aviar and Roc you were right.

yeah i was totally oblivious to that, ive only been playing 2 years. I have no idea about disc history and time lines etc. When did innova start and how long have discraft been around, i jsut thought that as discraft have the official ultimate disc that they were also as old as DG?

infact why does discraft have the most uncomprehensible disc rating system?
0.5 tells you absolutly nothing. Does this affect discrafts popularity?

Here's a little summary of one of the reasons Rocs are preferred by many as written by Blake_T on Disc Golf Review:
Blake_T said:
the only things i consider to be a matter of preference with rocs and wizards is preference for "best."

4 things you want from a midrange and driving putter:
1. high speed stable: it shoudln't turn.
2. predictable low speed fade without being overbearing: it should fade every time, but by a reasonable amount.
3. range control. it shouldn't be difficult to manipulate the disc's range.
4. carry. given the speed range of "midrange" discs how far do the discs carry. note: i separate this from glide because floaty understable discs often have the best glide but terrible "carry."

so, taking various discs and rating them by each category, the frontrunners become simple:
Roc: 1. A 2. A- 3. A 4. B+. GPA = 3.75
Buzzz: 1. B+ 2. A 3. B- 4. A. GPA = 3.5
Wasp: 1. A 2. B 3. B+ 4. A-. GPA = 3.5
Kite: 1. D- 2. D- 3. B- 4. B+ GPA = 1.83

doesn't take long to find the wizard is way up there in terms of putt & approach.
He picked three of the best, most popular mids on the market and then another one that's not very highly regarded to show the difference.

According to that analysis, the Roc is popular because it resists turn well, has a very good fade, is awesome for range control and has good carry. The Wasp has better carry, but slightly worse fade (I'd guess he gave it less because it fades pretty hard) and range control. The Buzzz doesn't resist turn as well but has a predictable fade, great carry but is difficult to control range with. The Kite has good carry but is mediocre to really bad for the rest of the attributes.

yeah i was totally oblivious to that, ive only been playing 2 years. I have no idea about disc history and time lines etc. When did innova start and how long have discraft been around, i jsut thought that as discraft have the official ultimate disc that they were also as old as DG?

infact why does discraft have the most uncomprehensible disc rating system?
0.5 tells you absolutly nothing. Does this affect discrafts popularity?
Discraft is actually an older company than Innova. The owner of Discraft was a big freestyle Frisbee guy who started Discraft to make a better Freestyle disc in the late 70's. Then they made the Ultra-Star for Ultimate. The rumor is they sell more Ultra-Stars than all of their golf discs combined. They got into the golf market early, but discs like the Sky-Streak were really just general sports discs marketed for golf. Their first beveled edge golf disc was the Phantom in '84. They had a small line-up of golf disc (the Eclipse is the only one of them still in production) from then until 1993, when they seemed to get serious about the disc golf market. They introduced the Magnet, Cyclone and Hawk that year, which was a major step forward for them.

Innova was founded in 1983 specifically to make a better disc for golf. Their first disc was called the Eagle (not the current Eagle) which was the first beveled edge disc for golf. They retooled the Eagle into the Aero, and then introduced a blunter disc you may have heard of...it's called the Aviar. ;) They created a series of discs based on the Aviar (the XD and the Classic Roc are examples of those discs) until 1987 when they started making the 21.7 cm diameter discs like the current Roc, Stingray, Cobra, Viper, etc.

So by 1987, Innova was waaayyy ahead of Discraft in terms of golf discs. The company that actually had a good line-up of discs to compete with Innova in the late 80's-early 90's was Lightning. Lightning had some of the most overstable discs on the market back then, and had a much more complete line-up than Discraft. Discraft really didn't become the # 2 disc golf company until the mid-90's.

Nobody really knows, since sales figures are not released for any of these companies, but the general consensus is that Innova holds 80% of the disc golf market and Discraft has maybe 10-12%. Those numbers right there kinda explain why there is more hype for the Roc than the Buzzz.

Innova has a lot of made-up stats like "speed" and "glide." All Speed tells you is how wide the rim of the disc is. The bigger the rim, the faster the disc. Glide is a function of turn. If the disc is understable, it will have a good glide. If it is overstable it will have very little glide. So really, I can take the rim depth and the stability numbers for a Discraft disc and pretty easily figure out all the Innova "ratings" for that disc. It's marketing, not science. But since they are getting their butts handed to them 80% to 10%, you could make the argument that Discraft marketing needs to step up their game.

Discraft's new esp & flx plastics are very impressive. They offer great grip and are very durable.

to me the step from elite z to ESP/FLX is more impressive than Champion to Star - star just seems like an opaque champion disc.

Also, I find Elite X and Pro to be quite different. Both good, just that Elite X seems more similar to ProD than pro is to DX

The KC Aviar and KC Roc use a Pro/DX blend that is firmer than Pro. The KC Whippet and all of the old OOP KC Pro drivers were made out of just regular Pro plastic. So other that the Aviar and Roc you were right.
Are you sure about that? I've got two KC Pro Eagles that are definitely much stiffer than today's Pro plastic.

ERic

I had a KC Pro whippet that was very stiff and not like the Elite x at all. I seem to throw the Elite x farther than any other plastic, but that also might be more the disc than the plastic.

Latest posts