• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Roc3: Star vs Champ vs Henna

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Looking to fill a spot in my bag at I've been unhappy with for a while. I need something between my flat top MF gator and newish flat top KC Pro Roc. I like the beads and the flat tops. Used to carry and Taurus, didn't like it because of the dome. Currently carry a flat top Hammes metallic Wasp. Not jiving with it because it's similar to a new flat top KC Pro roc.

Looking to replace the wasp with x2 roc3s. Which is the more overstable readily available plastic: Star vs champion?
Also, I might have a lead on a Henna Bloomroos 2020 Roc3 from a buddy, heard they were overstable comparatively to other roc3s. True?

Man I've been in the same boat for years, it feels like. I cycle rocs/roc3s and like them all on the flatter side, and have been searching high and low for that solid OS bookend. Something that feels like a roc but flies kind of like a buzz os. Honestly, the closest thing I've found for this slot was actually a Westside Bard. But those are dumb hard to find at the moment.

I also hear that Star roc3s come out a bit more overstable. I plan on trying one soon before I start chasing non-stock discs.

My Star Roc3 (misprint from Infinite) is OS and reliably so. My KC Pro Roc and my FLX Buzzz will both mostly hold an anhyzer line OK, particularly the KC as it beats in. DX Roc3 will beat in pretty fast, but the Star, I believe, Is going to be dependable on the fade.

Another option that looks/feels close-ish to a Roc and is noticeably more beefy but still has good glide is a Hornet.

The Hennas are indeed extremely overstable, closer to a Gator than any stock Roc3 I've thrown (which is admittedly not many). Note that the Hennas are also quite domey, so a fairly different feel. Haven't thrown mine in awhile, but that's my recollection from a few field sessions with it.

I've put some time in with a Bloomros tour series and the profile is in between a DX Roc and Flat Roc3 dome. Pretty OS to start and works in to a 5-/4+/0/2 kind of flight once the bottom edge wears in. Straightens out into a 10mph headwind and can be manipulated on angles, fighting out of flex anhyzers if given airspace and skipping a bit on hyzers with the premium plastic. Most similar to stiffer Luster CFR ones I've come across.

The dome is what matters for premium plastic stabilities for Roc3s. Flatter/puddle top ones seem straighter and will show turn into a headwind (maybe more nose angle sensitive?). I've seen more Champion ones with variety in the plastic stiffness and dome.

What about a rocx3? Or maybe a star gator. I have a color glow gator that is really mellow but haven't been able to score any backups but it slides in between my MF gator and kc pro roc

some stiff star roc3s and metal flake champ roc3s are your best bet from my experience.

I had a metal flake champ Roc3 that you probably would have loved. Unfortunately haven't seen a run of those in a while.

Someone previously mentioned the Bard. Feels pretty much like a Roc but definitely flies closer to a true 5/4/0/3. Haven't caught those in stock for a while either so probably not a real option.

Maybe plead with Innova to run some metal flake champs?

Latest posts