• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rock Hill or Charlotte

Rolex81

The Perpetual Putter
Wanting to go play a new course on Wed. while I'm off(1/2) can anyone suggest a few courses in either of these areas? I'm fairly new to playing 3months but I don't mind a challenging course.

I vote Charlotte. just use the map browser on the courses side of this site and just pick what sounds nice. You really can't go wrong in Charlotte. I used to live in Rock Hill and I always played Charlotte courses. I don't think I ever played a course in Rock Hill. I generally don't play 9 holers and that just leaves Boyd Hill and Winthrop Lake Front. Boyd Hill was a good place to get mugged when I lived there and Wintrhop Lake Front is not the same as the USDGC layout so I never bothered.

Boyd Hill may have changed, and I kinda regret not playing Lake Front just for the experience. But yeah Charlotte is chock full of good courses.

i would stay away from nevin unless you have some that knows the course goes with you.

Charlotte for sure. If you want a well rounded round of disc golf i would suggest Hornets Nest or Bradford Park, both these courses are great fun and both offer a good degree of variety.

Charlotte for sure. If you want a well rounded round of disc golf i would suggest Hornets Nest or Bradford Park, both these courses are great fun and both offer a good degree of variety.

Are these typically busy?

charlotte for sure... not sure what kind of time you've got, but the must plays are hornets nest and renny. But there are so many other great courses out there too. I love the Elon complex (Angry and Eager beaver, a long technical, and short ace run set of courses in the same park) and Kilborne, but I have yet to play a course I don't like. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun!

as for "busy-ness" - I've never had to wait at any of the charlotte courses... I guess that is one of the many benefits of having so many, the crowds get spread out

Renny and Hornets Nest are the top 2 courses in Charlotte but they may be too tough for your skill level. The courses in Rock Hill may suit you better. If you decide to play in Rock Hill pm me and I will guide you at the local courses.

charlotte for sure... not sure what kind of time you've got, but the must plays are hornets nest and renny. But there are so many other great courses out there too. I love the Elon complex (Angry and Eager beaver, a long technical, and short ace run set of courses in the same park) and Kilborne, but I have yet to play a course I don't like. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun!

I want to try and get wherever I decide to play around noon. Maybe have 4hours to play. So whatever i can manage to play in 4 hours.

Renny and Hornets Nest are the top 2 courses in Charlotte but they may be too tough for your skill level. The courses in Rock Hill may suit you better. If you decide to play in Rock Hill pm me and I will guide you at the local courses.

Thanks.

For a novice, I'd recommend Winget (Plantation Ruins), Scrapyard at Idlewild, Elon short, Reedy Creek, Kilborne, and Eastway if you want a less wooded course. Bradley Center and Rankin Lake are really fun in Gastonia also.

I have played all of the courses in Charlotte, and I would say that you'd be hard-pressed to find a better course in Rock Hill.

In Charlotte, my favorite courses are (in no particular order) Hornet's Nest, Nevin, R.L. Smith, and Kilborne. At your skill level, I would suggest either Hornet's Nest or Kilborne. Nevin is my favorite, but it's a monster, and R.L. Smith can be a disc-eater if you aren't terrible accurate. Winget is cool, too.

I would not suggest Renny for a couple of reasons. First, it is very difficult, secondly, it is impossible to navigate without a map or local knowledge, and finally, I don't even enjoy the course (but that's more of a personal thing). I don't really like Elon (Angry Beaver or Eager Beaver), and although I like Idlewild, Sugaw Creek, Eastway, and Reedy Creek, they aren't really memorable courses.

Good luck, and have fun!

For a novice, I'd recommend Winget (Plantation Ruins), Scrapyard at Idlewild, Elon short, Reedy Creek, Kilborne, and Eastway if you want a less wooded course. Bradley Center and Rankin Lake are really fun in Gastonia also.

I dont mind the woods. The local course I play is pretty well wooded. It would however be fun to play a more open course.

I have played all of the courses in Charlotte, and I would say that you'd be hard-pressed to find a better course in Rock Hill.

In Charlotte, my favorite courses are (in no particular order) Hornet's Nest, Nevin, R.L. Smith, and Kilborne. At your skill level, I would suggest either Hornet's Nest or Kilborne. Nevin is my favorite, but it's a monster, and R.L. Smith can be a disc-eater if you aren't terrible accurate. Winget is cool, too.

I would not suggest Renny for a couple of reasons. First, it is very difficult, secondly, it is impossible to navigate without a map or local knowledge, and finally, I don't even enjoy the course (but that's more of a personal thing). I don't really like Elon (Angry Beaver or Eager Beaver), and although I like Idlewild, Sugaw Creek, Eastway, and Reedy Creek, they aren't really memorable courses.

Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks. Just looking for new things. Been playing Spartanburg and Greenville.

Most of Charlotte is decidedly wooded except for Renny and Eastway, the latter being one of the most balanced wooded/open courses in the area.

My personal faves in somewhat particular order:

Hornet's Nest
Idlewild
RL Smith
Bradford
Nevin
Angry Beaver (Elon)
Reedy Creek
Eastway
Rankin Lake
Renny
Kilborne
Bradley Center
Winget
Bailey Road

The Charlotte courses are the way to go. Rock hill is decent but the courses in charlotte are much better imo. As many others have said I would stay away from R.L., Renny, nevin and possibly angry beaver. Winget, Reedy Creek, Eager Beaver, kilbourne, Bradford, and Eastway are very fun places to play and are not overbearing to a newer player. You can't really go wrong in charlotte. Whatever you decide, enjoy your round

IMO sugaw isn't bad either. When I lived in Charlotte it was where I learned to play. Second course I played, after the sadist at the disc store sent me to renny for my first round.:wall:

IMO sugaw isn't bad either. When I lived in Charlotte it was where I learned to play. Second course I played, after the sadist at the disc store sent me to renny for my first round.:wall:

Completly agree with you. Sugaw is underated because it is in the hood. the design is pretty sweet

See your in the NC area, if your ever up a bit farther north you should check out the new one in Sawmills in Caldwell Co, it was designed by someone who has helped with the course in Hickory for a long time, both are really technical (most agree the Sawmills one is even more difficult than Hickory is), and you have the newly upgraded Morganton (it's really come a long way) down the road if you wanna launch some bombs and work on distance, 3 fun courses.

Completly agree with you. Sugaw is underated because it is in the hood. the design is pretty sweet

Depending on how fast you can get around, you can do Kilborne, Sugaw Creek, and Eastway shorts in 5 hours, they're all about 5-10 minutes from each other, and offer unique rounds, and none are overbearingly tough.

If today's the day...Eastway can be messy when it's wet like this.

Latest posts