• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocking the Hips

Wait.... so I shouldn't be consciously rotating my hips? Just focusing on this lateral hip movement? :wall:

Wait.... so I shouldn't be consciously rotating my hips? Just focusing on this lateral hip movement? :wall:

Yes, ish, there has been lots of talk recently on facebook about spinning the hips actively, this is wrong and got me angry and made me make this video. However actually focusing on the shift is again IMO not the best plan, focusing on everything Sidewinder films about balance and movement is a better option, by being in balance the shift will happen naturally.

I love all of Sidewinders movement drills, things like the elephant walk, the riding the bull, practising those sort of movements will make the shift happen naturally.

The hips spin because of the lateral shift. They will spin but don't try and make them spin.

Hopefully the last image of the four below should show why it's not an active attempt to spin the hips. 4th image shows the back leg completely deweighted - ie it's done everything it can do, they don't then push the spin around, the hips rotate in place because they've got nowhere else to take the stored up energy once they are fully braced against the front leg. The back legs energy is all lateral towards the target.

xGFJQ7xl.jpg

Ea3V0QLl.jpg

Note from frame one through to frame 4 the difference in angles of the hips shown in DrkEvans initial screenshot. If you look at a frame before this and a frame after you really see a marked difference in the angle.

Thanks for the insight guys!

rhatton1 yeah the form check group got me thinking I need to spin my hips.

gotta think about the throw differently now, and hopefully I can find a place I can safely throw a hammer.

I like to think about my hips as a balance board for a ball. In the pump, the ball is rolling towards my backside. At the backswing, it's beginning to move forward again, thanks to the tilt. As I move into the power pocket, I'm catching that forward roll of the ball and stopping it by tilting my hips back again. Catching that momentum IS bracing. Now that we've stopped it, it is released through the swing.

So what is happening to the ball through the hit? Is the balance board shoving it forward? Or just keeping it from rolling off the front?

So what is happening to the ball through the hit? Is the balance board shoving it forward? Or just keeping it from rolling off the front?

The hips have pretty much done what they need to at this point. Once they rock forward to brace, the rest kind of happens naturally. The right hip moves out of the way (to the right) and allows everything else to come through.

I might have created another dance phenomenon. It syncs up pretty good playing The Git Up twice with my music muted. :cool:

I think that would work great. The Git Up is one of those songs that makes non-dancers want to get up out of their chairs and get on the floor.:clap:

I might have created another dance phenomenon. It syncs up pretty good playing The Git Up twice with my music muted. :cool:

I see what you mean, it's a catchy little diddy and does sync up pretty well when you play both at once. The only issue is you guys are out of sync with your lefts and rights. But hey it's disc golf where terminology varies depending on who you're talking to.

So what's next, you creating some new disco drills to Y. M. C. A. ?? :hfive:

For me this motion is very hard with the feet squared from target line(rhbh). Any analogies/tips how to practice that lateral move back and forth? Too many times my weight stays centered all the time. I can rock those hips very easily with my putt and forehand and know the power im missing on backhands.

For me this motion is very hard with the feet squared from target line(rhbh). Any analogies/tips how to practice that lateral move back and forth? Too many times my weight stays centered all the time. I can rock those hips very easily with my putt and forehand and know the power im missing on backhands.
Your feet/stance/flare needs to setup neutral to your pelvis to allow your hips the mobility to easily turn, and the width of your stance needs to be narrow enough to shift easily back and forth. Your stance should be slightly closed to the target front heel inline with rear toes. I talk in Power of Posture how wide immoveable stance keeps your weight from shifting back and forth/stays too centered, instead of being able to shift back and forth.
address-stance.png

tweak-stance-alignment.png

post-94483-12657238311248.jpg

Last edited:
YES. Posting this to the Spin and Throw page right now.

edit: Scratch that. I've been removed and blocked or the entire page is gone. I'm leaning towards the former lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts