• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roll this Hole?

If had to throw a roller I'd go forehand because of the tight low line needed. Otherwise, flat dx roc up the gut.

Limbs low like that and I'm throwing a skip shot with something over stable and wide winged...a glow boss. Right gap and throw it low, hard, and with a little hyzer. Will hit the ground before the creek and skip toward the basket. It may skip a few times while going up the hill, or one high skip that hits in the middle of it and leave a short putt to the basket at the top.

RhFh flex shot, firebird.
It's easy to start a fh really low and have it climb as it cruises down the fairway. Just make sure you turn it far enough left that it doesn't land on the downhill side of the basket and skip away. Should be a fairly easy two after a few practice runs.

I wouldn't roll due to the creek interfering with the roll. Also the basket is up on a knoll and wouldn't be ideal for accuracy regarding a roller because a roller most of the time will turn downhill.
The times I've tried BH rollers on here they tend to bounce over that marshy patch w/o much problems. What I was wondering is if there was a way I could roll downhill towards the right and end up around the back of that grove of gray trees center-right in the picture, that's where the creek bends back around the basket. If I could get to that low spot where the creek bends I'd be pin high.
Could you do a wide hyzer line around the two trees on the right in the pic? Short of that I would be needling a Leopard through it. I don't roll much though. I could see me rolling a Katana low though. I do feel like the creek will mess with a roller though.
I usually do something like this with a Saint and end up either turning it over badly, hitting a branch or hitting that tree in the middle. I don't know why but the combination of the way those limbs hang down and the hole playing gradually uphill makes it really difficult for me to get an air shot at the right height to reach the pin.
I'd just get out there and trim some of those damn limbs
Yeah, no kidding. The course is too easy as it is and with this hole being a sign posted par 4 I don't want to make it any easier than it is with renegade course maintenance (I've thought about it though).
RhFh flex shot, firebird.
It's easy to start a fh really low and have it climb as it cruises down the fairway. Just make sure you turn it far enough left that it doesn't land on the downhill side of the basket and skip away. Should be a fairly easy two after a few practice runs.
Yeah, a FH tends to work well here but unfortunately my FH isn't really long plus I'm taking a FH hiatus so my pointing finger can heal (strained a tendon or something in it, FH aggravates it).

Limbs low like that and I'm throwing a skip shot with something over stable and wide winged...a glow boss. Right gap and throw it low, hard, and with a little hyzer. Will hit the ground before the creek and skip toward the basket. It may skip a few times while going up the hill, or one high skip that hits in the middle of it and leave a short putt to the basket at the top.

This. S/DS Destroyer low and hard on the right side. Might also go for the turnover up the middle, but more risk involved with the low branches. Wouldn't go roller b/c of the ditch and hillside sending it off line.

I would roll this hole. One of 3 ways:

A flippy roller that lands between the 2nd and 3rd trees (I'm ignoring the smallest tree), rolls to the left over the creek, then flips back to the pin.

A cut roller that lands between the 3rd and 4th trees, and rolls to the left, probably stopping in the creek

A forehand flip roller that lands between the 2nd and 3rd trees, rolls to the right, and flips back to the left, probably stopping in the creek.

It's possible there's a cut roller line at the very right edge of the picture; if I were only going to play this hole once, I'd go with the forehand roller if my forehand was feeling good that day.

Yeah, I'm thinking a flippy DX Eagle thrown flat into an intentional turn and burn or a FH roller but I'm not sure what to FH roll, maybe something really overstable to eventually end left? I just want to be able to consistently end up pin high in that low spot where the creek is without worrying about smashing a driver into that middle tree. From the tee to that bend in the creek where the little group of gray trees are, it's fairly flat so it doesn't feel that terribly long.

I throw a fairly large number of rollers compared to most players and I didn't roll this hole when I played the course.

I did roll hole 8, however.

I throw a fairly large number of rollers compared to most players and I didn't roll this hole when I played the course.

I did roll hole 8, however.

Did you go the conventional anny route or sneak something down the tunnel to the right? :popcorn:

I'd try to roll it. If you've got something super understable that you can lay down for a roller below head height then it could work. Depends if you're trying get a birdie or play for par. Like others have said a FH roller may be a solid option as well.

well if all you are going for is a safe par by just trying to miss the branches id have no problem with setting a forearm roller through the gap on the right and let it flip towards the basket. one would want to use something just slightly stable so it holds the line for a bit then turns.

i've taken the day to consider it. no, i wouldn't roll the hole, i'd play a moderately overstable disc like my C-FD on a slight anny with nose up, possible skip opportunity. that "creek" would just slow down and knock around anything worth rolling.

flippy putter perhaps, that low ceiling is gonna mess with your roller release anyway. i say blast a line drive hyzer with your firebird and grab a skip or hyzer to flat a teebird or TL up the middle.. if anything throw pin high right and putt a lil uphill you can bang it.

I'd try to hit a gap backhand. I have a hard time getting a backhand roller down that fast and I would fear the little creek messing with it too much. Either way I tried it though, I'd probably hit a tree and get to practice my long approach. :)

I'd throw my slightly understable driver, get it to go through the gap on the left, turn, then fade back into the hill a little bit at the end.

BroD,

My thoughts: You either go for a 2 or a 3.

If you want the two, you're best bet is throwing a hyzer flip. It flies out there under the branches, flips up and gains a little altitude, and sits down on the hill. But as you noted, you're taking a big risk of hitting a trunk/branch and looking at a 4 very quickly. Even so, I seem to usually avoid a 4 going with the hyzer flip. Where is that sidewinder that you've aced hole 6 with throwing a hyzer flip?

The other option is going for a smart 3, in which you just throw the roller you are asking about. Odds are you will roll a good ways out there but not up the hill, and you'll have a 50-60 foot approach for your second shot.

Whatever you choose, best wishes and have fun.