• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roller tournament format.

If you want to broaden the perspective on rollers based on the concept of "disc flying more vertical than horizontal", it would allow grenades that don't roll, and extreme height vertical backhand shots intended to get over foliage and not roll much when hitting ground. Those types of vertical shots were allowed as "rollers" at our events.
Any shot that lands in any fashion, outside of perfectly flat, could be claimed to have rolled. Well, maybe not a tombstone.

Should be is the key. All it would take is one difficult individual to throw a card into chaos. "No way that rolled three feet!" When it clearly rolled 10'+.

You had guys who refused to keep score, not too hard to foresee one on those knuckleheads arguing about something like this.
True, I forgot that point. Especially if the person against it would benefit from it not being a roller.

I ran a roller doubles event back in 2008 or 2009.

The format was: every throw had to be a roller until you were putting - as determined by throwing your putter.
It was intended to be a fun/silly event, and it was.

I like this idea too, but think you're asking for headaches and complaints... If all rollers (until putting) doesn't suit your fancy, perhaps an alternative could be that you have a budget for air (non-roller) shots. Once your budget is spent (not including putts) every subsequent throw must be a roller (again, not including putts).

I like this idea too, but think you're asking for headaches and complaints... If all rollers (until putting) doesn't suit your fancy, perhaps an alternative could be that you have a budget for air (non-roller) shots. Once your budget is spent (not including putts) every subsequent throw must be a roller (again, not including putts).

Why do you think that I will get headaches and complaints for requiring fewer rollers that would not occur if I required more rollers?

BTW, one of my rationales for not requiring all rollers is that some holes just don't set up for rollers at all. And some of those holes cross relatively wide water hazards that span the entire fairway.