• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rollers

Most Accurate Roller

• Total voters
Didn't read the top of poll, just read the post. Lol

Just depends on which way I want it to roll. I use both every now an Then.

My FH are more accurate for short distances. I use them out of tight places instead of pitching out, I can get out and move forward a bit. Just gotta account for the wraparound.

BH for distance. I can get 250 w/FH roller (Viking) and about 380' max on flat ground with a BH Roadrunner - it just goes dead straight and then falls over.

If you ever play LTC Cleveland (and please let me know if you are in the vicinity!), you'll find a RHFH roller (properly executed) is the ideal tee shot on Hole #3 (some folks even open their round with a roller on #1!). I've been working on RHBH rollers, but the heavy arcing motion makes it tougher for me to pull off while getting the same distance.

I DO, however, feel that a gentle RHBH roller holds its line better, and as such I will use it on shorter approach shots where nothing else seems feasible. But when it comes to a roller off the tee, it will have to be FH or I'm looking for a different route/method.

I can see how a roller would work well on that hole with the low ceiling and left turn. I tend to throw a low skip shot there. That would be because I've never even attempted to intentionally throw a roller. Maybe next year.

I like the FH rollers myself. I haven't ever really tried the BH. I should try it on some holes around her for distance but I just never have. I keep saying I need to get out and practice my driving. I want more distance.

It shows a thumb & thumber roller

A little off-topic but Is that "fall forward" putt legal anymore?

Unfortunately there just isn't any opportunities round Prescott for rollers of any kind. Phoenix has some very roller friendly courses though.

From World Flying Disc Federation http://wfdf.org/worldrecords/?r_sec=1

Roller Distance (non-turf)

Class Open

Result 1156.00 m

Name Randy Lahm (USA)

Date 04/01/2001

Location El Mirage, CA, USA

1156.00m = 3792.651ft
BOOM!!! Rollers are the bomb! Beat That Wiggins!

I throw a lot of backhand rollers. I can get my max distance father with a great roller over a great airshot.

Last edited:

Class Open

Result 1156.00 m

Name Randy Lahm (USA)

Date 04/01/2001

1156.00m = 3792.651ft

I throw a lot of backhand rollers. I can get my max distance father with a great roller over a great airshot.

I just want to make sure everyone here realizes that is incredibly wind assisted. Like, they throw the disc, it rolls a few hundred feet, starts to slow down and wobble, then the wind pushes it farther. Then the wind just keeps on pushing it farther and farther.

The record for a roller on turf gives a more realistic idea of roller distance (though still impressive).

The record was set on salt flats or some dry lake bed correct? I too still think it's very impressive. And Wiggins distance record is also wind assisted. It's part of our game. Harness the wind!

I know we have an indoor record that (I would hope) is no wind assistance, but I'd like to see something like track does, put a little "(w)" by the distance if there's more than 5mph wind (even if it's a headwind).

Class Open

Result 1156.00 m

Name Randy Lahm (USA)

Date 04/01/2001

1156.00m = 3792.651ft

With an AVIAR!!!!!!!

Basically it was a sail that the wind just kept on pushing...Could have almost dropped the disc and had it roll 500ft

Yes, wind makes these records. The roller record was at the Bonneville salt flats with an AVIAR!!!! There is no max allowable wind in these competitions as there is in track and field running and long/triple jumping. Shot put, hammer, discus and javelin all are so heavy that wind doesn't affect them much. They do throw discus into the wind for a little lift.

I would love to get the chance to go to one of these places and try some rollers. Just the idea that I could potentially throw a roller 1000 ft makes me giggle.

I didn't think BH rollers could be that accurate until I saw Nikko throwing them at his home course(Endicott) and making them do circles around the pin. Kid has got mad skills, he throws some insane rollers on the final safari 9 of the STL Open@ Endicott.

Just had my first roller in a round do what I intended. Thumber from behind some brush rolled right up to the basket.

I was busted by a friend's wife the other day practicing them in the yard. It did look pretty ridiculous.