• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

rolling wrist and grip

whtsx2005

well i've been hooked on disc golf now for about 4 months, and I seem to be progressing well. I have been working on my driving form, on the course everyday, and hit the field sometimes. I throw about 260-300 havent really measured, plus the holes at my course are not what they say they are in feet. I have recently viewed some video footage of some tounaments on my computer, I have watched them over and over, going frame by frame on the players drivng form, and try to incorporate that into my form. I experiment with what works and doesnt work for me, and have noticed that on my reachback, when I turn the disc 90 degrees, and roll it back flat or hyser angle on release, it seems to take alot less effort and adds more distance, than I would with a flat disc reachback. Before I was alot of the time rolling my wrist on release that my drives would turn and not come back even with overstable plastic, but angling the disc 90 degrees on my reachback (perpendicular to the ground) and releasing it flat I see far fewer.
My question is Why does it seem like I can throw farther with less effort?
Is it becuase of the change of the position of my wrist I am getting more snap?
or because I am actually releasing the disc how it should be released, flat/ hyzer?

Also on the power grip, I though I was having trouble with getting all 4 fingertips under the flight plate. But actually just now found out that the pinky, ring, and middle finger are the only ones with the tips touching and the index finger pad. Before I was grip locking alot of drives with me trying to put all my fingertips under the flight plate, and now that I just have the index finger pad on it, no more grip lock. Is it due to the ever so slight change in finger position?

your grip should be on the rim. whether or not it touches the flight plate doesn't matter.

as for what you are having happen w/ the wrist roll... that is forcing you to have more late acceleration in the throw (because you can't wantonly whip through w/ the disc still perpendicular). basically, it is a timing factor and you have found a way to compensate it.

i will say what you are doing is frowned upon... as you will find yourself straining your elbow a lot as you begin generating more power.

focus on timing and accelerating late.

before you started doing this you were probably coming through with the disc too early, which gets less power and puts your body in better position to torque discs over.

ya when I said flight plate, I meant to say rim. my mistake :)

so I guess I shoud find a way to get more acceleration late than what I'm doing now with the disc perpendicular to the ground on my reachback.

Also, when you say coming through with the disc too early, does that mean I was pulling the disc across my body too early?

Also, when you say coming through with the disc too early, does that mean I was pulling the disc across my body too early?

yes.

you were going before the rest of your body was "telling" you to.

Leading cause of 'grip lock' for me ^^^^

dont start your pullthrough until your plant foot touches the ground.

Latest posts