• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ROOKIE

gizmo

ive only been playing for about 6 months and am really getting into it.im not sure of what discs i should be getting though.i have 4 discs already all innova....drivers-star boss/valkyrie....mid range-shark...and my putter is a aviar...any advice on good discs or critque of my discs would b much appreciated.

I'd say just stick to what you have. If you want to get more, I'd say go with an understable fairway driver like a leopard.

Trying to get and learn new discs will distract you from developing form and good technique. Focus with the discs you have and you'll learn the game faster. Once you really have a feel for the game, you'll notice deficiencies in your lineup and can start filling in the holes with new stuff.

Get a Leopard (DX or Pro, 160- 170 g). Don't touch that Boss until you are throwing at least 300 plus with the Leo. The shark and aviar are excellent choices, I still use both and I have been playing for 5 years plus.

see thats funny cuz i actually prefer the boss over the valkyrie....well actually find myself using my mid range more than nething

The Boss will mask form flaws much more than the valk will. How far are you throwing them?

that makes sense cuz when i throw the valk its not nearly as far and the curve is crazy....but throwing the boss i can really say how far cuz the courses i play have pretty garbage signage but id have 2 say at least a couple hundred feet....but with the valk maybe half that

yea your right correction coggshall has poor signage and deevens is sooooo much better....headed there 2mmrw actually

Put the boss away and get another fairway driver and midrange leopard,teebird,buzzz,roc as examples.

I suggest you work on throwing your putter 200 feet. Put the Boss and the Valk away for now. Add that leopard in there and you should be good for awhile. Putter out to 200, mid out to 300, and leopard out to 350 would be ideal.

Yeah, Valk is a great first distance driver but they're super nose angle sensitive for beginners. It's best to work up to them with a fairway driver or two. Your Valk, Shark, and Aviar didn't come in pack and are weighed 150g are they? If so, you might want to get a heavier Shark and Aviar.

So far all good advice, however there is one trick that you should know that your boss will do that no other disc you listed will - the short range skip. I may get some heat from the "doing it right" purists but as a rookie I loved my boss for cutting underneath super low foliage. You may have noticed that that thing will catch ridiculous air after hitting the ground, but did you know it will do that even without a hard throw? If you get stuck and need to go under something, give it a toss and be amazed!

My advice is to stick with the Shark and Aviar awhile. Most courses, that's all you'll need. At least until you're shooting par golf with them.

If you really want something a little faster, try out a Cheetah. Even if you're not naturally athletic, you should be able to score well with that lineup.

ya i think when its jus me shootin ill work with the drivers....i mean i was an athlete in HS and what not so my distance is pretty decent....its jus workin with the fade and glide and all that is hard for me 2 anticipate the flight of the disc

yeah man, that's why I'm saying stick with the Shark. When you use the same disc all the time it's easier to learn how it flys. A shark is a good choice for that. Operator error is probably the biggest factor in your game if you're new, so I think it's faster to learn just sticking with a neutral mid and learning to work it.