• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Round Ratings

In case someone else runs into this if you accidentally skip a hole when recording or make a mistake that makes the system not give you a score you have to start again from scratch. Editing your entry doesn't seem to give you a score.
Updating a scorebook entry should create a rating for your round. What mistake did you make when you first entered the round, I'll try to recreate the problem and see if I can fix it.

Last edited:
I took my most recent round and changed all the holes I skipped to par just to get an idea of what my rating would be if I played them and took par on all of them. When I did it that way the rating still has n/a. When I did it from scratch and entered the exact same thing it gave me a rating.

I'll try to mess with it tomorrow to see what's up.

In case someone else runs into this if you accidentally skip a hole when recording or make a mistake that makes the system not give you a score you have to start again from scratch. Editing your entry doesn't seem to give you a score.

Editing worked for me, in as much as my son and I played today. First, I entered his scores ( so he could see his rating), then edited to update with my scores - seems to have worked perfectly.

...make a mistake that makes the system not give you a score you have to start again from scratch...
^this may be the operational obstacle.

Last edited:
My rating is 0.

I think my work here is done.

Actually getting a rating of flat zero I think would take some doing. ;) I mean, you'd be talking ~100 throws over SSA on your typical (moderate SSA) Par 54 course. :p

Do I need to fill in ALL boxes? PAR, Feet . . .everything? or just my hole by hole score.

The SSE formulas need to know the overall course layout length, and your score for the round. It's easiest if you pick a 'tee' color (there's a popup menu for that), as choosing a tee will have it automatically fill in the hole lengths and Par values for that tee. Does that help? :)

Choosing a tee is also a requirement of getting a round rating... thought I should mention that :)

I noticed something odd about round ratings and score vs par. Below are my 4 most played courses with my avg round rating and avg score vs par (don't laugh).

878 rating - avg +4.8 to par - Bill Allen Memorial Park (18 holes)
871 rating - avg +1.5 to par - Shawnee Park (18 holes)
866 rating - avg +0.9 to par - Harry Myers DGC (18 holes)
806 rating - avg -2.2 to par - UT Dallas Alumni (9 holes)

So the round ratings are inversly proportional to my score vs par. Strange.

I know par can be set quite differently from course to course, but it still seems odd to shoot almost 5 over and be rated ~875, and then go and shoot 2 under on 9 holes or 4 under if played as 18 holes and be rated ~800.

One more oddity regarding SSE on short courses...

UT Dallas has a wicked low SSE of 19.5. If you play this 9 holer as 18 holes, that would be a 39 on a course length of 4424. Maybe the formulas break down on these small pitch-and-putt courses?

It is an easy course, but often plaqued by strong wind. And while it is lightly wooded, most baskets are protected by trees. In the DFW area I would compare UT Dallas to Alex Clark Memorial.

The red tees at Alex Clark are 4431 in length (almost identical to UTD) but it still has an SSE is 45. A whopping 6 stroke differential. The challenge of these courses is not that far apart. I shot 6 under at Alex Clark from the shorts and wasn't playing my best. I thought that course was actually easier than UTD.

I noticed something odd about round ratings and score vs par. Below are my 4 most played courses with my avg round rating and avg score vs par (don't laugh).

878 rating - avg +4.8 to par - Bill Allen Memorial Park (18 holes)
871 rating - avg +1.5 to par - Shawnee Park (18 holes)
866 rating - avg +0.9 to par - Harry Myers DGC (18 holes)
806 rating - avg -2.2 to par - UT Dallas Alumni (9 holes)

So the round ratings are inversly proportional to my score vs par. Strange.

I know par can be set quite differently from course to course, but it still seems odd to shoot almost 5 over and be rated ~875, and then go and shoot 2 under on 9 holes or 4 under if played as 18 holes and be rated ~800.

How would you rank the courses in difficulty? Just your intuition of how difficult they feel....

How would you rank the courses in difficulty? Just your intuition of how difficult they feel....

Hardest to Easiest:

Harry Myers
Bill Allen
Shawnee Park
UT Dallas

I think the anomaly is probably a pure result of wonky par settings. Harry Myers is par 65, which is why I can score close to par even though it is the hardest course of the four.

UT Dallas is setup as a par 28 but probably should only be 27. I still think SSE of 19.5 on that course is ridiculously low, hence my round rating being so much lower than what I get on significantly harder courses.

One more oddity regarding SSE on short courses...

UT Dallas has a wicked low SSE of 19.5. If you play this 9 holer as 18 holes, that would be a 39 on a course length of 4424. Maybe the formulas break down on these small pitch-and-putt courses?

It is an easy course, but often plaqued by strong wind. And while it is lightly wooded, most baskets are protected by trees. In the DFW area I would compare UT Dallas to Alex Clark Memorial.

The red tees at Alex Clark are 4431 in length (almost identical to UTD) but it still has an SSE is 45. A whopping 6 stroke differential. The challenge of these courses is not that far apart. I shot 6 under at Alex Clark from the shorts and wasn't playing my best. I thought that course was actually easier than UTD.

The big difference (in terms of DGCR and the SSE formulas) between those two courses is Alex Clark is listed as moderately wooded. That field difference has a huge impact on the SSE formulas, as you can see from those two courses with similar course lengths. Unfortunately, with the limited number of inputs into the DGCR SSE formulas, there are plenty of places where the SSE formulas aren't going to be very accurate. We've discussed the problems pretty in-depth here and elsewhere.. basically, to be more accurate, we'd need more fields added to each and every course page.. which means each and every course page would need to be updated. At the simplest, we could just detach the 'technicality' of a course from its foliage value (i.e. one new field per course), while more elaborate methods include adding a new 'technicality'/riskiness/etc. field per hole per course.. we can dream it up, but ultimately it's up to timg as to what he wants to program (and then it will be up to individual DGCR users to add new data into all those new fields). :p ;)

Also, just as a note, the SSE formulas don't care about the 'par' value for the particular course layout/tee at all. They use (only) the total number of holes, the total layout length, and the foliage value for the course.

Latest posts