• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Round Ratings

CaptainAnhzer, this thread is about DGCR ratings, you should probably start a new thread for your question.

I think the SSE may be off by a bit for Rankin Lake, I think it's due mostly to all the OB, which can come into play on almost every hole. Here are the results from a tourney from a couple years ago. Round 1 was played with the baskets in all short positions on the holes that have multiple positions, and from short tees on all the holes that have multiple tees. Round 2 was from all long/long. I didn't really notice it until I was looking at some of the older rounds from my scorebook. Not sure if anything can or needs to be done, but it does seem off a bit. FWIW, the layout at Rankin can vary quite a bit, as some holes have one tee and one pin position, some have two tees and one pin position, and some have one tee and two pin positions, and one has one tee and three pin positions.

i forget where i read a few details about the ratings formula but i remember seeing something about how it calculates a certain number of months back.

so basically, every month we get a ratings update so long as we continue to log current rounds. is that right?

i noticed my rating jump about 10 points when August came around.

You get ratings updates every time you log a round I believe. That jump may have just been from a bunch of low rounds dropping off from last year.

You get ratings updates every time you log a round I believe. That jump may have just been from a bunch of low rounds dropping off from last year.

The jump was from the fix timg applied to the SSE system itself. :) We discovered a slight error with how the SSE formulas were being applied to non-18-hole courses, so round ratings from non-18-hole courses changing is probably what that jump was. Timg also added a way to separate how technical a course is from its 'foliage value', so some courses you had rounds at may have been adjusted due to that change, too.

Just like in the PDGA system, rounds you record on DGCR will be included in your player rating for up to one calendar year (in between your most-recent recorded round and your oldest-included round). So your rating won't normally (ever) change as time goes by, if you aren't recording new rounds. Does that help?

If you do record rounds, your player rating is recalculated on the spot with each one like mashnut said.

Reedy Creek Park has a SSE for the Red tees that appears to be inflated due a generous "Very Hilly & Heavily Wooded" classification. Per the info from Worlds, http://www.charlottedgc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Charlotte_Area_Courses_Rev1.pdf the SSA on the Whites is 47 compared to the 49.5. From the Red (Regular tees), I would conside Reedy Creek to be "Moderately Hilly & Moderately Wooded" while I think the White (Stout) tees is properly captured in the current classification.

Is there an adjustment that you can make to Red tees only to pull 2 or 3 strokes out of the SSE?

One more Charlotte course. The Scrapyard, AKA Idlewild has the opposite issue where the long positions (Black) have an SSE overstated by 2 strokes while the shorter positions (Red) and pretty darn close. Can you make a change for black tee to pull 2 strokes out?

I can't adjust it on a per tee basis right now unfortunately.

Whatever you guys did to the formulas for non-18-hole courses has corrected the problem that I was seeing. Thanks!! :clap:

My rating on harder courses was consitently around 870. The one short 9-holer that I play was coming in at 806 before the formula update. After the update, it is now showing 857.

I play 4 courses regularly, and they range quite a bit in difficulty and length. My round ratings for those 4 are now 857, 869, 876, and 866. That seems like a pretty tight statistical grouping.

Now I just need to find an adjustment in my game that will make me play at a 900+ level instead of muddling along at 865.

FWIW, I just entered some rounds from a sanctioned event where the course was completely unchanged - 2012 DGLO:

Hudson Mills Monster (short), shot 75, PDGA rated 899... DGCR rated 904
Hudson Mills Original (short), shot 77, PDGA rated 850... DGCR rated 879

Obviously works better for some courses than others, but it seems pretty good for the most part.
Thought people might find this reality check interesting, if not useful.

*hehe* I agree with Timg on this one.. we already *barely* have enough 'real' SSA data to calibrate the three SSE formulas against as it is. Having to further categorize each 'real' SSA by whether or not it was generated during fair weather or not just stretches what little data we have too far to be accurate. :(

Unless of course someone out there can provide me with a wealth of 'real' SSA's + course layout length data (for 18-hole as well as non-18-hole layouts), along with the associated 'foliage value' *and* weather conditions for each and every round of it. ;) I'd *love* to collect this kind of data, but so far no one has been able to help at all. :(

Here is a little more based on Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake. It is "good" data in that sample size is huge (statistically valid) and it is based on quite a few rounds in very similar weather.

From this thread:
I think we need to hold our horses on this just a little.
On the bright side and agreeing with yoy:
On the other hand, Gold/Silver is set up in DGCR as Heavily Wooded and Blue is set up as Moderately......and I lowered them both a notch in the table above to make the SSE's closer.

White and Red are both set up in DGCR as Moderately Wooded and Hidden Lake is set up as Lightly wooded.......and those were indeed the best fit for SSE at Worlds (even though they played "Super Red", and "Super White")

Super Red
53.0 = SSE (Moderately Wooded - as set up in DGCR)
53.8 = SSA Average (0.8 higher than SSE)

Super White
60.2 = SSE (Moderately Wooded - as set up in DGCR)
60.3 = SSA Average (dead nuts on)

Hidden Lake
49.8 = SSE (Lightly Wooded - as set up in DGCR)
48.6 = SSA Average (1.2 lower than SSE)

On the other hand, Gold/Silver is set up in DGCR as Heavily Wooded and Blue is set up as Moderately......and I lowered them both a notch in the table above to make the SSE's closer.

Gold
69.9 = SSE Heavily (as is in DGCR currently)
62.8 = SSE Moderately (best fit)
56.4 = SSE Lightly
61.4 = SSA Average from Worlds (1.4 lower than SSE)

Blue
62.6 = SSE Heavily
56.9 = SSE Moderately (as is in DGCR currently)
51.6 = SSE Lightly (best fit)
53.0 = SSA Average from Worlds (1.4 higher than SSE)

*whew* I was waiting for Timg to post this before talking about it. ;) Yes, there is now a new internal-only field that actually controls which of the three 'foliage value' SSE formulas is being used for each course. So if anyone finds a course where the SSE formula, based on the 'correct' foliage value just isn't coming out right, it can now be internally corrected.

Awesome!! Thanks Guys! The Hippodrome-Old Glory course could use a tweak. It has 11 open holes 3 light/moderate wooded holes and 6 heavily wooded holes. Of the 14 non-heavily wooded holes, there are O.B. lined fairways on 7 of them, 2 more that are island greens, and 2 more that have O.B. that comes into play. Also, there are 10 difficult greens either with severe slope, raised basket, guarded green, or O.B. close by.

Looks like the perfect sort of course where SSE will be an epic fail. Do you have the typical SSA for the course?

Awesome!! Thanks Guys! The Hippodrome-Old Glory course could use a tweak. It has 11 open holes 3 light/moderate wooded holes and 6 heavily wooded holes. Of the 14 non-heavily wooded holes, there are O.B. lined fairways on 7 of them, 2 more that are island greens, and 2 more that have O.B. that comes into play. Also, there are 10 difficult greens either with severe slope, raised basket, guarded green, or O.B. close by.

Do you happen to have an SSA (a course layout length as well would be great) for a recent event on the course? :)

Edit: Dave242 beat me to it. :p

Looks like the perfect sort of course where SSE will be an epic fail. Do you have the typical SSA for the course?

It's not an epic fail. They aren't WAY off. The only SSA we have is from the NCDGC, which was 54.7. Two holes have been changed since then. It seems like it should be just under 54.

Latest posts