• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rounding?

epkade

Bogey Member
I was watching the Dave Feldberg Clinic from the 2011 USDGC and was wondering if anyone have a video on the isoband/"stretchy band thing" drill he talks about to eliminate rounding? (This is mentioned in the video at about 26:36.)

Next, what all contributes to rounding? When I watched Feldberg toss the umbrella and golf club I noticed that one difference between the throws was that he pivoted on his toe for the rounding throw. So does this mean that shifting your weight from behind is related to not rounding?

Finally, near the beginning of the video...around 7 minutes in he talks about some issues that many people have biomechanically. Is the shoulder movement into the "impact zone" also related to shifting your weight from behind? As in, if one shifts their weight from behind will they also move their shoulder into the "impact zone"?

Last edited:
The stretchy/equalizer drill, is just to get the feeling of pulling/swinging down the line. Feel what positions are powerful vs strained. Not sure it will eliminate rounding, but it's a good drill and goes well from the Door Frame Drill.

Toe pivot is often associated with rounding, often causation, but not always, I'd differentiate toe spin out(like Feldy talks about) vs toe pivot in that the majority of players that round and spin out on the toes never get the heel down(they chicken out on the weight shift and it doesn't really happen to create the kinetic link through the ankle). You can pivot on the toes and not round, some guys pivot more flat footed like McBeth and Cale.(I sometimes pivot on the toes, usually the heel, but the only reason I can tell is from video usually as both feel the same during the throw, it's typically a balance thing for particular shots which part of the foot pivots.

Rounding happens because your body is in the way(often weight is back and not centered on the front leg). Feldy is also exaggerating the heel pivot during the swing, the foot pivot happens because of your weight shifting and dynamic balance. Some top pros don't pivot the foot until after the disc is gone, it more or less depends on your angulation and speed, more angulation(Will S, Lizotte) and/or more speed means the foot is going to pivot earlier because you can't maintain the torque with less foot contact(more angle) and/or your weight shifting faster. If you watch Ken Jarvis throw he throws much more upright/less angulation, less forward speed, and more foot contact and doesn't pivot the foot until it's gone, but he throws just as ridiculously far as he firmly links everything from the ground up to create massive arm speed.

When Feldy talks about moving the shoulder into the impact zone before the elbow bend, it's really about shifting your weight forward(from behind) without swinging yet and leading with the shoulder or loading the shoulder. Crush the Can Drill should get your shoulder/weight forward before swinging.

Rounding happens because your body is in the way.

I've never really thought "rounding" or "straight pull" meant what most think they mean, and I don't think the terms found usage when they knew what caused it. I think "rounding" is used when the A) the body is in the way or B) when the hit isn't powerful enough to eject the disc (you have to let go).

No swing is straight. If you look at pro footage, a lot of the time the disc doesn't travel anywhere close to the line the inward pull is on.

I've never really thought "rounding" or "straight pull" meant what most think they mean, and I don't think the terms found usage when they knew what caused it. I think "rounding" is used when the A) the body is in the way or B) when the hit isn't powerful enough to eject the disc (you have to let go).

No swing is straight. If you look at pro footage, a lot of the time the disc doesn't travel anywhere close to the line the inward pull is on.
It is a straighter swing as the disc is able to come through your center or power pocket.

Great pic from above. Really helps. This is what I do. I mean...the wrong way rounding....I do that often. Need to fix it.

Latest posts