• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running Backwards Down the Teepad

Sard0nyx

Par Member
I've heard form gurus talk about not running backwards down the teepad during the x-step. And this seems like good practice, but reviewing some pros form shows them at least shuffling angled backwards down the teepad before even their x-step is planted.

You can see in these videos that Ricky, Chris Dickerson, and Calvin all angle backwards almost turned away as they slide down the teepad. Chris and Calvin in particular look like pole vaulters running backwards as they x-step towards the plant. I'm curious to see how they coil when their hips and shoulders turn back so early.

There is nothing wrong in running back towards the target, but running both heels towards the target (and planting like that) can cause troubles.

I've heard form gurus talk about not running backwards down the teepad during the x-step. And this seems like good practice, but reviewing some pros form shows them at least shuffling angled backwards down the teepad before even their x-step is planted.

You can see in these videos that Ricky, Chris Dickerson, and Calvin all angle backwards almost turned away as they slide down the teepad. Chris and Calvin in particular look like pole vaulters running backwards as they x-step towards the plant. I'm curious to see how they coil when their hips and shoulders turn back so early.

I wouldn't describe what they are doing as "running backwards". :) During the x-step they do turn quite a bit, but it never quite reaches what I'd call backwards.

attachment.php

I think to get into that position requires a lot of skill and athleticism that requires a lot of year of throwing to attain. Most amateurs struggle to maintain proper posture and balance with much less turn, so I believe that is why you'll hear that in these forms.

Attachments

• backwards.jpg
    backwards.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 145
One forum member once told me to think about it as "a b@stardization of forward and backward walking or running."

Some of the appears of running backwards has to do with the camera angle relative to the path the player takes moving down the tee. I've found it very valuable to see the same players at multiple angles so your brain gets a "3D" model for the move.

m8Ntq28.png

Another part is their posture leading with the booty to stay closed to the target as they shift into the plant:

hS4kquX.png

When you square the camera up relative to the line they're moving down the tee, the feet tend to be pretty neutral kind of like standing comfortably, which is also where you tend to get leverage when you move athletically down the tee.

20K85GN.jpg

This is why drills like sw's Hershyzer and similar can help Ams with the tendency to literally run up backwards vs. staying leveraged inside the rear leg and avoid spinning out when they plant.

Don't overthink it too much, need to move to learn to move.

I cannot find any recent form review video's i've done to post a picture.

But there is loading the body and just turning around backwards.

When you load, you're coiling your body to explode, your setting up the spring to unwind.

If you just turn around backwards, you're not doing that, then most who turn around backwards then throw their weight vs release their energy buildup.

If you run backwards and reach back(wards), you'll end up having to round in order to get the disc around your body.